Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn more Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > High Hopes [DVD] forum

Has this DVD got subtitles?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 30 Oct 2007 12:03:53 GMT
My husband loves this film and I wanted to surprise him by buying it for him. However, the product details don't specify whether there are any subtitles or not - probably it means that there are none. I must explain that we have never lived in the UK, only in Canada, and English is not our mother tongue. Unfortunately, this means that we have difficulties following the dialogues in Mike Leigh's films, for although we both are fluent in English (I am even a translator and teacher of that language), the kind of English spoken in his films is not the kind spoken at universities abroad, believe me. Can anyone tell me if this DVD has got subtitles or not (English for hearing-impaired is fine)?

In reply to an earlier post on 5 May 2008 14:51:07 BDT
Cezanne says:
I have the same problem as described by Anna Charlotta and I think it should be specified for all DVDs whether they have any subtitles or not. (According to my experience, a DVD might have many subtitles, even though it was not specified in product details at Amazon). So, can anyone help us Mike Leigh's fans who are not native users of english language with this simple information: does this DVD have any subtitles?

Posted on 5 Feb 2009 22:14:23 GMT
I can not agree more.
I often buy much more expensive dvd's just to be on the safe side. A friend of mine is deaf and I have a lot of friends who can understand(=read) English but find it hard to try to make sense of movies like Trainspotting etc..
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  High Hopes [DVD] forum
Participants:  3
Total posts:  3
Initial post:  30 Oct 2007
Latest post:  5 Feb 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
High Hopes [VHS]
High Hopes [VHS] by Philip Davis (VHS Tape - 1994)
4.0 out of 5 stars (29)