Customer Discussions > Plane Scape Torment (PC DVD) forum

Has anyone bought this yet?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 20 Nov 2009 16:15:31 GMT
Dom Walden says:
If so, is it legit? I say this as I cannot work out who is actually publishing it. Amazon say Interplay, but on the Interplay forum they say that this has nothing to do with them, and that they no longer have the rights to publish AD&D games. Ive also looked at other publishers like Atari, Wizards of the Coast and Bethesda who may now hold the rights to publish it, but none of them have any mention of these recent re-releases.

Any extra information would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Posted on 27 Nov 2009 21:28:34 GMT
Neal Vincent says:
Ordered it a day or so ago and Amazon say it is now in packing, so SOMETHING is going to be on its way to me soon... I guess that means it exists, at least!

I'm intrigued to see what, if anything, the publisher has done with this allegedly Vista-compatible DVD re-release because I recently had a nasty time trying to get my old big-box version of Planescape Torment working properly on my modern PC. Considering the heinous amount of faffing around I've had to do to get other re-released versions of elderly games (Baldur's Gate, Thief Gold, Medieval Total War, etc) running properly, I'm betting this will be a similar story: just the original multi-CD contents shoved onto a single DVD, and we'll leave it up to the player to spend hours researching internet fan sites to find out how to actually get the damn thing running on a PC from this millennium! We'll see...

I'll post back with the details of this edition when it arrives.

Posted on 1 Dec 2009 21:07:19 GMT
Neal Vincent says:
OK, got it today. The DVD case is exactly as pictured, with all the old logos: Interplay, Black Isle, TSR, etc. All of the copyright info on the sleeve is identical to the old 4CD version, i.e. 1999 vintage. There's no obvious renewal of copyright. To look at it, you'd swear that Interplay were the publisher even though, you're right, there's no mention of it on their website.

Content-wise, it's the original un-patched release - even down to playing the same low-res trailer for the (cough) forthcoming "Icewind Dale" when installation completes! The contents of the original CDs are placed in folders on the DVD, and the manual is included on-disc as a PDF file. Even the readme file is unchanged from the 1999 release, with plenty of outdated information, and the "update" internet link still tries to go to the old Planescape Torment website ... which isn't there anymore. So, as suspected, it's literally the 4CD version from 1999 put onto one DVD with a PDF manual.

As for getting it running on my up-to-date PC (Vista, Quad-Core, Nvidia 9600) the graphical problems I experienced with this edition were identical to those I had with the original release - which isn't surprising because it IS the original release! Turning on software transparency and software mirroring (sprite flipping) from the options screen provided a simple workaround for me, at the expense of a slight performance hit. Apart from that it works fine, and it recognised my old save games from the original release.

So, there's not much point in buying this version if you already have a previous release, unless you value the convenience of playing the game from a single disc. If you don't already own the game, though, then it's as good as (and the same as) it ever was - just make sure you download the official V1.1 patch, which is commonly available from various websites, and take a look at all the unofficial fan-made patches and mods while you're at it.

Hope this info clarifies what exactly you're getting if you buy this version :-)

Posted on 2 Dec 2009 05:18:29 GMT
Last edited by the author on 2 Dec 2009 05:20:54 GMT
If, as described above, this is just the old 1999 version of the game packed onto a single DVD, with no new patches etc., then why does the product description say that this is an "improved" version? Especially when it still has problems running on Windows Vista? Maybe someone from Amazon can explain why customers are being given a misleading description? (Thanks for your posts Neal, you've provided very valuable info!)

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Dec 2009 05:15:16 GMT
I bought this last week and am very happy with it. My P4 PC is almost 5 years old and runs Windows XP, has a 6600GT graphics card and 1GB of RAM, there's been no problem(s) at all in running this.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  4
Total posts:  5
Initial post:  20 Nov 2009
Latest post:  14 Dec 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Plane Scape Torment (PC DVD)
Plane Scape Torment (PC DVD) by Interplay (Windows Vista / XP)
4.7 out of 5 stars   (36)