on 9 October 2011
A very quint and interesting read with snippets of golfing techniques that Harvey has observed over the years to be true.

This is not a technical knowhow book, although there are some do's and do not's that are explained in the most simplistic manner possible. The ones of interested to me are the Ben Hogan foot position in the stance, how to carry your club, interesting as this has nothing to do with golfing techniques but more to do with creating an affinity with your clubs, something I have never really thought about. His various chapters that speak about golf pro's changing people's swings that do not match the person's ability and have one swing suits all philosophy.

The bulk of this book is full of anecdotes and short stories of his time in golf all worth reading and they really do take you back to a time when things seemed to be simpler. Harvey was well ahead of his time from the way he taught children to play golf, psychology and his unyielding love for the game of golf.

Definitely a recommend read, but don't expect too much with regards to the title as that really isn't the aim of this book, if you want to read about what golf used to be like and should still be like then gives this a perusal.
on 9 August 1999
Maybe it's a coincidence, but I lost 10 strokes off my game during the week I read this book and put it into my practice routine. If you will actually practice the drills in this book your game will improve. If nothing else, it's entertaining reading!
on 7 October 1998
The day I received The Little Red Book the magic began. I never thought that I could still improve my game at the age of 53. But from a weekly average score of 92 for a long time and suddenly drops to a 76 (3 rounds already)then it must be magic. The book is so easy to read and the "tips" are so easy to understand and follow. Anybody who has the time to practice the "tips" of Mr. Penick will surely improve his game tremendously.Now I understand why Mr. Penick is considered one of the greatest (if not the greatest) golf teachers who ever lived. To me the "Little Red Book" is magic.
on 11 May 2003
Harvey Penick obviously had many great gifts; simplicity was certainly one. He conveys his wisdom in a unique and easily understandable manner with a series of anecdotal jottings from his famous little red book which almost transports the reader to the course with Harvey at his/her side. Ther are no lavish step-by-step diagrams to try and copy; what Harvey serves up is a number of pointers for you to consider, discard or take as gospel at your own whim. A fascinating and refreshing read.
on 2 February 2001
THE MOST ABSORBING GOLF BOOK I'VE EVER READ. HIS SIMPLE EASY TO FOLLOW GOLF TEACHINGS WILL HELP EVEN THE NEWEST OR OLDEST GOLFER. BUT THIS BOOK IS NOT JUST ABOUT LEARNING THE GAME OF GOLF IT'S UNDERSTANDING WHAT GOLF IS ALL ABOUT. GREAT PRO'S LIKE CRENSHAW AND KITE GOLFING MASTERS WENT THROUGH THE HARVEY PENICK SCHOOLING, DRIVING,PUTTING ,CHIPPING,WERE ALL PART OF LEARNING GOLF, BUT ALSO THE SHEER JOY OF BEING ABLE TO JUST PLAY GOLF. MEETING AND COMPETING AGAINST FELLOW GOLFERS,TO BE HUMBLE IN WINNING OR LOSING ALL PART OF THE HARVEY PENICK TEACHING. A GREAT BOOK A GREAT TEACHER A GREAT MAN.
on 14 February 2010
I had heard good things about this book on the forum so I ordered it and eagerly awaited it's arrival. It duly turned up and I have now read it all twice. I have to say it for me was a book of two halves, with some of it good and some of it poor.On the instruction side of things there are a few genuine pearls to take onto the course but I didn't think any subject was covered in much detail, most being half to one page long.It's simple approach gets the message across instantly and when reading it you tend to think 'ah that's where I've been going wrong, I'll try that next time out'. Other subjects are dealt with in so little detail as to be next to useless. I am sure Mr Penick is a wonderfull teacher of the game but for me the book doesn't live up to a lesson from the man himself.One example being when a student asked him to teach him how to get out of a bunker. Mr Penicks reply being "I can but first I have to teach you how to avoid them in the first place" end of lesson.No s**t Sherlock springs to mind.
I am sure most people will find some little nugget and a light will come on and it will improve their game.I have a couple to try next time out.
All said though for me it isn't a great book but it is worth a read and if you get a little gem out of it then it's worth the money, 6 out of 10 from me.
on 20 August 2010
Very good book, It's not a golf's Bilble exactly buy it is very readable and enjoying.
I recommend it for golf begginers and amateurs.
I don't agree with many things of this book, but it's normal, is an old golf's style.
Cheers
on 27 February 2015
Lovely book. Some useful concise hints.

A little of it is historical friend-mentioning, but if you can get it second hand for less than a fiver, it's worth getting.

It's not that it's not worth more money, it is, but a second hand copy is a wiser purchase - I've marked mine with yellow marker for the phrases/words I think are exceptionally handy, and I'd not have done that with an expensive hardback copy.

If I every lose this book, I'm be purchasing another. It's a keeper and one to re-read every now and again.
on 11 July 2010
This book is full of brilliant tips for your golf swing and has helped make a difference for me already, as I have just had my handicap cut!
on 3 June 1997
This book is a wondeful adventure for anyone involved with golf. There is a rare personal quality to the stories that warms one's heart. Harvey's anecdotes are simply a joy to read. This book is wondeful for all levels of ability: from beginner to seasoned pro. Harvey gives sound advice that can shave strokes from your game immediately (I broke into the seventies within months of reading it). One of the classics of golf literature.
Bryan McDonald, Apple Computer, 7 handicap.