Harry Potter lover, age 9, looking for new reads

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 56 posts in this discussion
Posted on 24 Nov 2010 03:55:48 GMT
comely says:
If she wants to start a series of books, turn her onto In Search of Lost Time. After that, Tropic of Cancer/Capricorn.

In reply to an earlier post on 24 Nov 2010 08:43:39 GMT
I am looking for In search of lost time - hoping untranslated - anyone gor the ISBN most grateful - any help ????

Posted on 29 Nov 2010 14:45:18 GMT
"While the Twilight saga has seduced young people into an occult worldview, through romance, Harry Potter seduces young people into Wicca and other neo-pagan worldviews and practices"

Oh noes, children might be given a choice instead of being blindly indoctrinated into Christianity. Quick we must burn all books in case it gives the young 'uns ideas.

To the OP I would suggest The Chronicles of Narnia, especially if your child has seen and enjoyed the film(s).

Posted on 30 Nov 2010 20:08:07 GMT
Last edited by the author on 30 Nov 2010 20:09:23 GMT
I'm gonna blindly indoctrinate my kids into Christianity!
Mwahahahaha!!!
Then I'm gonna steal their candy!
Bahahahahaha!

Then I'm gonna burn some books!
But not HP they're awesome!

Bwahahahahahaha!!!

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Nov 2010 20:24:45 GMT
Well well well - you are obviously a person who has never tried to steal candy from a kid - O M G 0 lady you have your work cut out

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Dec 2010 15:04:28 GMT
H. Craven says:
J.K. Rowling does not encoruage intrest in the occult. She is a a member of the Protestant Christian church, and she has said that she tought up the idea of Harry Potter when she was bored on a train journey from Manchester to London, not in a "spirit communication". She would never say this as she aknowledges that her books are FICTION- she should know she wrote them. She aknowledged that magic is not real and is a creation of her imagination purely for entertainment.

Posted on 14 Dec 2010 15:54:54 GMT
P. Cobb says:
"H.Craven: She aknowledged that magic is not real and is a creation of her imagination purely for entertainment."

WHAT!!!! You mean I've been wasting my time trying to get my broom to fly?!?! You could have let all us hopefuls down more gently, H!

Posted on 14 Dec 2010 22:24:33 GMT
PC fear not, anything is possible.
No one really knows how anything works and in my mind magic is anything that works but cannot be explained.

HP's mirror, cloak, wand etc etc are all tools, I don't know how they might work but
I can't really explain everything about my computer or my phone or how caffeine works.

Posted on 14 Dec 2010 22:45:31 GMT
P. Cobb says:
Phew! Shades of Santa, Tooth Fairy and Easter Bunny, there!

In reply to an earlier post on 15 Dec 2010 06:45:37 GMT
Can I just recommend other modes of transport though? Broomsticks are so ungainley, can't the same charms be applied to a belt or a glove?

Posted on 15 Dec 2010 08:13:42 GMT
P. Cobb says:
"Rebelhed: Can I just recommend other modes of transport though?...I can't really explain how caffeine works."

Puts a whole new slant on "Wake up and smell the coffee"! ie 'Yawn', stretch, 'sniff', whooosh! and you're at work! Just like the Knight Bus, it's smellitravel!

In reply to an earlier post on 16 Dec 2010 14:04:39 GMT
Oooh to work from home!

Posted on 16 Dec 2010 15:48:57 GMT
P. Cobb says:
Oooh to have some work to be working from home with!

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Dec 2010 10:14:57 GMT
Try ELance.com... if you have time to jump through the hoops.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Dec 2010 02:03:46 GMT
Flotsam

You might like to try, the children's book, Flotsam, By Stephanie Skeem.

In reply to an earlier post on 14 Jan 2011 15:47:47 GMT
reno says:
What is subversive about being anti-religious? More to the point, what do you mean "DM finishes with anti-religious ideas"? I am not sure anyone should take reading advice from someone who is so slow on the uptake - a critique of irrational religious dogma is infused throughout the trilogy!
Anyway, post-Harry Potter reading? Try the Percy Jackson series (Greek mythology brought to 21st century USA). Absolutely fabulous - although rebelhed might find it unsuitable because it lacks a Christian morality thread ;-)

Posted on 14 Jan 2011 22:17:19 GMT
Last edited by the author on 14 Jan 2011 22:18:00 GMT
I probably enjoyed the Percy Jackson movie more because I haven't read the book and didn't have to obsess over the details that were dropped in the process of transferring book to movie. The movie wasn't a patch on "clash of the titans" but it was a great way to kill 90 minutes of the weekend.

Oh yeah, and Christian morality supports warfare... I do not.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Feb 2011 17:07:38 GMT
Jess says:
My Little sister is exactly the same, and age nine. Make sure she reads the other three Rowling pieces on Harry Potter, (fantastic beasts, quidditch through the ages, and Beedle the Bard).
Having exhausted all these, my sister has now started reading them again, but I have started her on the Dark Materials Trilogy, The Seven books of C.S.Lewis, The Hobbit. The most important thing for her is that it is a series, so she can develop a love of the characters as they grow, as well as magic and adventure of course!
For the Lord of the Rings, I'm going to start her with the tapes, and once she recognises the potential, she'll read the books as starting books can be a little tricky after Harry Potter (I was in the same situation years ago).
I'll write back again if I have any more updates. In the meantime, Good Luck!

Posted on 18 Feb 2011 17:11:37 GMT
Jess says:
One other one, the Pseudonymous Bosch series are fun, but much simpler than the HP series.

Posted on 31 Jul 2011 19:20:26 BDT
Someone may have said it - but have you tried Artemis Fowl? Great books - several of them and fast paced and funny.

Posted on 12 Aug 2011 10:48:08 BDT
The book to read is "Tom Tullet and the Saxon Ruby" I think this book is the start of a new series of adventures of Tom Tullet. Tom is a typical 21st century teenager from a poor single parent family. When he is excluded from school, his mother insists that he stay with his grandmother in the tiny village of Saxonflete where opportunities for mischief are few. A ruined medieval castle looms over the village. While Tom is exploring the ruins he is thrown violently back into the year 1193, where a series of dangerous and exciting adventures change his whole attitude to life Tom Tullet and the Saxon Ruby

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Aug 2011 17:57:33 BDT
Last edited by the author on 18 Aug 2011 17:59:09 BDT
Zowie says:
Hi Jane,

I would really appreciate if your daughter read Jack Hunter - Secret of the King. It is a fast paced 'Famous Five' style adventure mystery, packed with exciting chases, villians, twists and hidden treasure. I personally think she will love it.

Posted on 28 Dec 2011 10:17:58 GMT
Cariad says:
I highly recommend Susan Cooper The Dark Is Rising series.
Ali Sparkes books.

In reply to an earlier post on 7 Jan 2012 13:08:46 GMT
Have you try the Inkheart trilogy? The movie too is amazing...but the books...oh they're so magic and poetic!

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Jan 2012 08:25:32 GMT
karen c says:
Try the Percy Jackson books, they are fantastic stories with lots of adventure and Greek myths. My 9 year old daughter is obsessed with them. If yours hasn't already learnt about Greek myths at school it is a topic that will come up soon. They are also on the recommended reading for 11+
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  29
Total posts:  56
Initial post:  25 Mar 2010
Latest post:  15 Jul 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Book 7)
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Book 7) by J.K. Illustrations by Mary GrandPre. Rowling (Hardcover - 2007)
4.5 out of 5 stars   (1,124)