Harry Potter lover, age 9, looking for new reads

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 56 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 25 Mar 2010 12:05:23 GMT
Last edited by the author on 25 Mar 2010 12:09:16 GMT
Jane Evans says:
My daughter has read all the Harry Potter books over the last 6 months and has been completely captivated. She has enjoyed the books on so many levels and they have brought on her reading enormously. She is now finding it diffucult to find a new book and has started/stopped several books which are just not living up to her expectations. I think having the main chararcters as children is important to her (we started reading the Hobbit, but the story just didn't grip her) and there needs to be plently of adventure and or fantasy!! Any recommendations which may be suitable would be very much appreciated....

Posted on 25 Mar 2010 17:42:49 GMT
Last edited by the author on 25 Mar 2010 17:46:52 GMT
P. Cobb says:
What age is your daughter?

I can highly recommend a trilogy by Charlie Fletcher, 'Stoneheart', 'Iron Hand' and 'Silvertongue'.

Set in London, they feature a boy who damages a stone carving outside the British Museum which activates a revenge cycle by the statues of London in a sort of 'alternative' London. The staues divide into either 'spits' or 'taints' (friendly or seeking revenge), and all are actually to be found in London. They have to be back on their plinths by 'turn o' day' or they can no longer come to life. The boy meets up with a girl who can also see the statues move and together they have resolve things to avoid the repercussions of the lad's actions. Great characters, fast moving action, should appeal to your daughter if she liked HP.

She could also try Cornelia Funke's 'Inkheart', 'Inkspell' and 'Inkdeath' trilogy. (The first one has been made into a film).

Edit - your other thread under 'fiction' says she is 9 years. My son would have been about 9 when he was introduced to the Charlie Fletcher books and he was hooked, but I used to read them to him at bedtime - although he would have coped with them himself if necessary (it would have just ruined MY fun instead!)

Posted on 26 Mar 2010 11:19:14 GMT
Or you could go old school with some Roald Dahl magic.

In reply to an earlier post on 26 Mar 2010 13:34:00 GMT
Jane Evans says:
thanks very much, these books all look great! much appreciated.

Posted on 29 Mar 2010 20:23:35 BDT
Max Watt says:
I'd highly reccomend the "His Dark Materials" trilogy by Phillip Pullman or anything by Terry Pratchett.

In reply to an earlier post on 30 Mar 2010 21:36:10 BDT
Gavin B says:
Try The Magic Scales by Sam Wilding. My daughter loves this and the sequel. There is plenty of adventure and laughs. Loads of wild characters etc
The Magic Scales: Book One of the Denthan Series

In reply to an earlier post on 31 Mar 2010 19:21:02 BDT
Is it wise to recommend subversive literature to kids? Not making a point, just enquiring. His Dark Materials finishes with some quite anti-religious ideas.

Posted on 1 Apr 2010 17:05:45 BDT
I think adults make more of this than the kids do. When I first read CS Lewis Narnia I never noticed the underlying Christian theme, I just thought they were a good read.
If she wants more Harry Potter you could try Norman Lipperts fan fiction sequel James Potter adventures (but if you are looking at other HP fan fiction check it is decent first!).

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Apr 2010 15:04:17 BDT
Max Watt says:
I don't think it matters because kids aren't analytical. They'll form their own opinions anyhow.

In reply to an earlier post on 8 Apr 2010 13:24:30 BDT
S. Taylor says:
My daughter has just read a fabulous new book entitled Demon Strike. She enjoyed it so much she urged me to read it to. The main character is a 12 year old girl who is a ghost buster and psychic. She fights ghouls and ghosts with psychic energy released from the palms of her hands. She's rather like a Harry Potter character, but a girl! She's looking for her parents along with her best friend and business partner, a boy named Wortley. He helps her break into haunted houses and steal treasure from ghosts to sell to fund her search to find her parents. They find themselves in the middle of a spirit war battling demons from the dark dimension and encounter ANGELs from the higher dimension. Not angels as we know them, but a futuristic police force protecting earth against all evil.

It's really funny in parts too! Especially the host of characters she meets along her way. I think any girl or boy with a interest in Harry Potter, Artemis Fowl and Percy Jackson will love this book.

Posted on 27 Aug 2010 17:41:07 BDT
Kirsty says:
13 treasures and 13 curses by michelle harrison, the 3rd book in the series is to be released soon. good children's books full of fairies and changlings.

Posted on 27 Aug 2010 19:22:44 BDT
valerie says:
The Charlie Bone books are good....i was given the first 3 and want to read more,they are uncannily similar to Harry Potter in the sense of a several youngsters at boarding school with gifts solving mysteries and helping each other. .

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Oct 2010 14:57:09 BDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on 22 Oct 2010 21:18:26 BDT
P. Cobb says:
Mr James P Hudson:

Thank you so much for your 'enlightening' link. However, with a slant such as:

"Tragically, J. K. Rowling has revealed that her inspiration for Harry Potter also came in what appears to be spirit communication. This spirit communication happens to parallel that of Meyer's experience in chilling ways. Rowling's Harry Potter series is "the most popular children's series ever written," and as MTV acknowledged, has helped to initiate countless children into Wicca.

Harry, as most know by now, was the victim of overbearing caregivers (called Muggles) until he found his calling as a sorcerer at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. While the Twilight saga has seduced young people into an occult worldview, through romance, Harry Potter seduces young people into Wicca and other neo-pagan worldviews and practices through the lure of occult power and the lie that you, too, can become like God.

Rowling admitted that the initial story of Harry Potter, as well as many of the novel's characters, was communicated to her through a stream of consciousness... "Harry as a character came fully formed, as did the idea for his sidekicks, the characters of Ron and Hermione, who is the brains of the threesome," she said. "It started with Harry, then all these characters and situations came flooding into my head." (Boston Globe, January 3, 1999, Massachusetts USA)"

'Initiation'? 'you, too, can become like God?' What an utter load of twaddle! And what an utter waste of a few minutes of my life reading that. Now excuse me while I get back to coming up with a creative concept in my graphic design work - or should I say while I seek to be influenced by the occult!

Posted on 23 Oct 2010 01:02:07 BDT
I am absolutely disgusted, imagine the very nerve of associating Potter fans with twilight fans!

Posted on 24 Oct 2010 10:35:45 BDT
This reminds me of Dolores Umbridge and her belief that as a representative of the Ministry she had carte blanche to do anything because to criticise her methods was to criticise the ministry - she tarnished the image of the ministry in this way, although the ministry didn't help matters.

For a Christian to condemn these books in the name of Jesus tarnishes the name of Jesus. Jesus summed up the spirit of the commandments by saying do unto your neighbour what you would have them do unto you and these sentiments are reflected by the spirit of the Harry Potter series. Good triumphing over evil.

Posted on 24 Oct 2010 23:37:07 BDT
P. Cobb says:
I truly believe the HP series are rip-roaring fantasy adventure stories that use the genre of magic (as do scores of other books) to further the use of fantasy and give the opportunity to bring in fabulous beasts, the fantasy of flight and allow the characters to grow, develop and find confidence, friendship and, eventually, love - all set to a clever idea of the seven years spent at secondary school. The books mature as the pupils pass through the school, along with many of the original target readers.

If the fact of using the terms 'witches' and 'wizards' is the cause of offence taken by the minority (as the books don't promote 'witchcraft'), I wonder had alternative terms eg 'magician' and 'magicienne' been used, would the series have raised the same furore? Or, is it just that they are so high profile and made JKR's fortune?

Posted on 24 Oct 2010 23:45:21 BDT
Hayley says:
Besides, it is all rather insulting to wiccans to have the whole argument based on the assumption that wicca is 'bad'. It's sort of starting in the middle, if you get my drift, when the beginning hasn't even been debated.

Posted on 25 Oct 2010 08:52:35 BDT
P. Cobb says:
Hit (by wiggling a stick inside a wasps' nest) and run posting?

Posted on 25 Oct 2010 18:15:51 BDT
PC & rh. Right behind you. And I am 'doing unto my neighbour' by recommending their kids read Harry Potter......
I did have to put the local vicar right on HP some years ago....... (he hadn't even read any)

Posted on 26 Oct 2010 11:05:48 BDT
valerie says:
WAY TO GO SNAILS.....!!

Posted on 26 Oct 2010 11:06:28 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 26 Oct 2010 11:07:06 BDT]

Posted on 13 Nov 2010 14:08:42 GMT
FishBlobCat says:
Have you heard of the "Septimus Heap" series? Like Harry Potter there's a whole world of magic - or as they call it "Magyk". It's amazing reading - quite complex, but nothing as challenging as harry potter.

Posted on 17 Nov 2010 12:31:34 GMT
JoMo says:
The 39 Clues (set of 10 books) has my son hooked post-HP and has a great interactive game/video site. http://www.the39clues.com/

All about two kids trying to find 39 clues, the first "clue to the clue" was left to them in their gran's will. However, all their family members are also trying to find the clues and will stop at nothing to beat them. The hunt takes them across the world and introduces a lot of history and geography but at a very fast moving and thrilling pace.

Alternatively anything by Rick Riodan is good.

In reply to an earlier post on 23 Nov 2010 23:47:48 GMT
I support that comment - being a follower of Odin - I know many Wiccans and they are as good folk as any I have met - people who disapprove of the faith of another person are usually Fundamentalist by persuasion and they cannot envision a different faith from their own - it upsets them
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  29
Total posts:  56
Initial post:  25 Mar 2010
Latest post:  15 Jul 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Book 7)
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Book 7) by J.K. Illustrations by Mary GrandPre. Rowling (Hardcover - 2007)
4.5 out of 5 stars   (1,124)