4.7 out of 5 stars3,817
Format: DVD|Change

on 11 January 2012
One week before the 8th Harry Potter film arriving in cinemas I had never seen any of the movies or read any of the books. I had largely dismissed them as being aimed at too young an audience to fit in with my personal tastes. Ahead of a trip to Florida, where the family would be visiting the Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal's Islands of Adventure, I started to watch borrowed DVDs of the earlier films from friends and neighbours and was immediately hooked! My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed the last film on the big screen, were blown away by the theme park, and pre-ordered this box set as soon as we got the chance.

I was never much a fan of fantasy literature before 2011 - you couldn't persuade me to watch The Lord of the Rings again, although I enjoyed watching and reading A Game of Thrones, so that tells you roughly where I'm coming from. The Harry Potter series has had me completely gripped, to the point that I'm really sad it's over. Our youngest (3) now requests these DVDs more than any Disney/Pixar type film, and I it hard to drag myself away from watching the early films over again with him. (I should say that only the earlier films are suitable for smaller children.)

The value for money that you are getting out of this collection of DVDs is fantastic. With the quality of the content, I would happily have paid double and then some! The stories by Joanne Rowling are brilliantly paced, and happen in a beautifully fleshed-out world. The casting, with so many of the characters growing up on screen throughout the timeline, was either inspirational or incredibly lucky.

The full set of films are a must for any Potter fan to own, and if you've never been exposed to these magnificent stories, I really suggest that you treat yourself. I was transformed from a sceptic to a big fan in the space of a week and I can't recommend these films highly enough.
on 15 December 2011
Great set!! There are enough normal reviews here, so I just wanted to point out something important to some. Each of the first four movies have special features also. Just that they are located on the disk along with the movie, instead of on a separate disk. This isn't a reduced feature set like some were thinking. There are special features for all the movies.........
1111 comments|467 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 December 2011
I purchased this Collection of all 8 films on 11 discs for me to get rid of my DVD collection previously purchased. The quality of the pictures in movies (the ones I have watched so far) are very good, although some of the earlier films are not so crisp compared to the latest films. Movies start quite quickly after inserting in a Bluray player (Sony BDP-S370).

The box itself is well-made and quite sturdy and nice to have in your shelf.

The only issue I have with this (not sure if it applies to ALL Bluray discs (including the ones previously released) but the special feature menu (in Prisoner of AZ) is a nightmare to navigate as they are all on the single screen with tiny writing accompanying short descriptions and the worst part is the highlighted part is very difficult to distinguish between not highlighted part.

Apart from that, it is very nice collection to have especially if you do not own the previously released Bluray version.
on 24 February 2013
Works perfectly on US PS3 and for an amazing price! Have viewed all films and special features without a hitch.
Despite some strange choices not true to the books, gaping plot holes and a sometimes incongruent mix of directorial styles through the series, there is no doubt that the absolutely brilliant casting, good stories and hard work that has gone into making these films will forever maintain their status as classics for generations to come.

I gave this as a present for my wife for Christmas (or was it her birthday?), and it's been the most-watched DVD's in the house since. At least as far as boxed sets go. I think she watches "Pollyanna" and "Hello, Dolly!" more often, though.

If you've read the books, you'll love these films. If you haven't read the books, you'll also love these films.
on 2 December 2011
Hello Potter fan's,

Even Though Harry Potter Series is Over the Legend will now live on in HD :)

i got this in the mail today Amazon.co.uk super fast service ,

since sitting down and watching one of the films today (The Philosopher's stone) Going Back to the start first time in HD can you can Really tell the difference from a dvd from Blu-ray

every disc of the 11 -Disc set as extra's which is not stated so it is a Added Bonus there are all Stunning in HD : ) Get them here at this Cheap Price Else where will be over £50 easy for the Blu-ray sets Great Box Art And fancy Snap Case's the covers are Same as Last Years Set (2010) one case-two films in one with the film poster on really Nice :)

Will Enjoy having them All Now in One Lovely Box-set To Watch Again & Again for Year To Come
review image review image
on 24 September 2012
This is exactly what I was looking for. It cost half the price to get this product shipped to America from England than just buying the American version...it also has more discs of special features than the US version and the box cover is even better. Finally it's completely region free so it will work wherever you take it. Buy this and be happy with yourself.
55 comments|133 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 16 December 2012
I was looking to purchase this box set on Blu Ray and was astounded to find this on Amazon for just over £20. Interestingly I had checked in the morning and the price was £28, three hours later it was £20, then an hour later £28?? Thankfully I ordered when I did.

The box set is superb. Blu ray is far more superior than DVD and certainly worth paying more for. You do though have to make sure your TV and player is compatible to get the best quality. You have all eight films, along with a host of extras. The picture and sound quality is superb. Obviously not the same as being in the cinema, but never he less, fab. Great entertainment for all the family albeit not suitable for the very young ones - could lead to nightmares! I think most people know of the story so I will not go in to the detail here.

Even at £28, this is a great buy and highly recommended. Would make an excellent Christmas present.
on 1 December 2011
I just can not believe it.
I first loggged on to Amazon.com here in the United States, and I was about to order the Harry Potter Collectors Set, however, before placing my order, I started reading some of the reviews, some of the the people were giving very poor reviews/ratings to the U.S. released version of the collectors set.
I read one review from a man that said he was a U.S. citizen living in London, and he said that the UK version was so much better that the US version, OH MY GOSH!!, was he ever right.
I don't know why we in the United States are offered such a poor eqivalent, but we are.
If this set (UK version) is all that it is supposed to be, then I have made the right choice.
I placed my order at Amazon.co.uk, and I just can't believe how easy the whole purchase process was, even with the shipping.
I was equally amazed at the low price for everything, I was even given a currency conversion chart to show me the difference between British Pounds and U.S. Dollars.
YOU BRIT'S KICK ASS!!!!!....... I'm not sure what the British slang eqivalent to this phrase is, but believe me, it means VERY, VERY GOOD!!
I am supposed to receive my package by Thursday, December 7th, so, if I do, I will post an update and let you all know how it turns out.

Sincerely,
A Very Happy Texan
1414 comments|149 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 November 2011
I just got this in the mail today (in case you're wondering, I got number 10,746). We all know how good the movies are, and if you're looking to buy this, you obviously like them a fair amount, so I won't bore anyone with a review of the movies. Despite there being 13 reviews here already about the movies or comparisons to what the US gets, I thought it was worth reviewing the actual boxset.

The box itself is very nice. It's hard and sturdy, certainly not a cheap job. You'd have to put quite some effort in to break it. You open it up and you get two fold-outs of discs and a nice little photo book. The book is quite nice. It's full colour, hardback and very nicely presented inside. Certainly nice for collectors. The first fold-out is labelled 'Years 1-5' and has a Blu-Ray disc and DVD disc for Philosopher's Stone, Chamber of Secrets, Prisoner of Azkaban, Goblet of Fire and Order of the Phoenix. The second fold-out is labelled 'Years 6-7 part 1 and 2' and contains a Blu-Ray disc of each of the three movies, a DVD disc of each of the three movies, and a Blu-Ray disc for each of their Special Features.

However, despite my 5-star rating, it's not perfect. As you're probably thinking, there's no Special Feature discs for the first five movies, only the last three. The only other bad point is there's no kind of latch to keep the box closed. The lid just flops open when you place the box on it's side on your shelf. Prop it up against other DVDs/Blu-Rays/Books and you should be okay, but a bit annoying nonetheless.

Outside of those two bad points, it's a solid box worth every penny.
2323 comments|193 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse