on 17 February 2009
I spent a long time deciding which version of the paperback books to buy (the adult or children editions). Although the front cover art-work on the adult editions is more attractive (to me, as an adult), the print is terrible in comparison (tiny, blocky font on cheaper/rougher paper), and sadly makes the books feel very cheap. I went for the children's edition, and have not regretted it! The books in this edition are set on good quality paper, with a easy-on-the-eye font, and come in a sturdy flip-top cardboard case. Look no further!
1616 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 9 October 2014
I've been waiting a long time to buy a hardback collection of Harry Potter, but none of the other editions seemed worth the money.

This one is definitely worth it! The box itself is well made and sturdy and has the gorgeous gold designs on it. The new covers are also stunning, with the titles picked out in gold stars. The best thing is the inclusion of a map of the hogwarts grounds and the contents pages.

This is definitely a box set that any fan of Harry Potter would want to own!
on 9 October 2014
This is the best set of Harry Potter books ever this set is worth the wait and money. The updated covers and inside is great they are just as good as the USA set.
The covers are brighter and design is the best ones plus the up dated inside pages are great by far my favorite set of them all.
on 29 January 2010
I think most people considering purchasing this set have previously read some or all of the Harry Potter books. So we all like Harry. The question is do we like this set.

I read all the reviews here before I purchased. The comments about the quality of the paper, the binding, the small margins and font, the inconsistencies of the spines and the damage to the slipcase from shipping are all true.

That said, the set is fine.

This is not a set of a special edition or printing. These are the same editions that were recently sold separately to the mass market. The publisher has wrapped them in a slipcase and is selling them as a boxed set. Which is fine.

I would have been happy to pay extra for a boxed set with acid free paper, cloth bindings, etc. but it doesn't exist.

I would recommend purchasing the Bloomsbury Children Edition Boxed Set over this one. The paper and the bindings are the same but the margins and font are larger and there are illustrations (always a nice touch).

While I read and enjoyed the Scholastic editions, I would not recommend them. I was upset to find out they changed the author's language for the U.S. audience. Bad form.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 2 June 2011
Standing at a price much higher than the paperback, or even the hardback edition, it is a first thought of the consumer if this is worth it. In short word: yes
Ofc, not owning the regular hardback edition I can't make a fair comparison, but I can see the difference in the quality just by the image.

The Box is hard, with gold lettering on the sides and back.
The books are hardback, and feel good to the touch, while the picture in the middle is really smooth, almost looks sown in, but a really awesome edition. Each book is a different color, which gives each book it's own feel.
The top of each page has some gold stuff on it, which you can actually rub off with your finger (though not the whole thing ofc). It does look good, and is not really harmful, except the inside of the box having some gold smudges, but it is kinda cheezy. The quality of the paper is good, it's hard and thick, but it's not pure white. It's like paperback but better quality. But in the light of reading the LOTR: Deluxe edition, which had pure white quality paper, I was turned off by this one at first. In the LOTR book, when you spread apart the pages, it's heavy enough to keep them all down to each side. Here, they float in air, can't phrase it better than that. I guess like all books do, you'll know. Not that I mind holding the pages down, but for a special edition I thought it would be similar. It's really hard to decide. With a book like LOTR that is 1300 pages, that kind of quality was definitely better. On a 200 page book like the first, it's not necessary.

The box set simply looks beautiful, I would really cough up some more money to buy this edition instead, for it will last through the ages unless you are a barbarian.

On the books themselves... It's a 5 star story, gets better with each books. I was so excited by the end of the last book, last 100 pages that I can't believe it. First one is definitely more for kids. Very simple writhing, not much details in background and such. But it gets more detailed as the books progress, it gets darker as the students grow up, and I think more accessible for more ages. It starts out as just a story about a kid in a school, but man, what a school this is. Hats of to Harry Potter and Voldemort.
review image review image
on 9 January 2011
I wanted to give this 5 stars however my boxed set arrived with the corners of the box dented and the bottom edge of the box tearing. The last book was also not spare with a slight dent on the bottom corner edge. Probably the hardcover books are too heavy and the box was unable to take the weight of the books.

Nevertheless, I love the covers for the Children's edition. Bright and colourful. I have read all 7 books and just wanted to get a complete set to keep. Harry Potter is still one of my favourite books.

Despite the damage mentioned, I wouldn't be returning because I lived overseas and returning the set will be quite a hefty shipping cost for me.

For people who want to get a pristine set, you might want to consider getting from the stores where you can at least check the packaging before purchasing. For me, I am still satisfied because I saved close to 40% by purchasing from Amazon :)
on 1 February 2014
I've loved the Harry Potter series of books for a while, but have not owned the set myself. I was debating getting them on my kindle for ease of use, and then I found this UK set. The colors are vibrant and the illustrations on the box and covers are spectacular. It surpasses anything that was available in the US. The construction of the books seems just as if not more sturdy than the average paperback. I look forward to reading through these again with my son in the years to come and giving him the opportunity to enjoy them himself.
on 21 July 2009
It took me a while to decide which version of the books to buy (adult/child) but im glad that i went on with this purchase of the child collection as it is the version with the Bloomsbury publishing.

The delivery was suprisingly fast..WOW..i received an email confirming that my order had been dispatched at 11ish at night..and the package had arrived the next day round the afternoon period.

Opened the package(brown box) to find the right set of books in the collection box stated in the picture inside the package..although the overall packaging could of been better(rather than brown paper wrapped around the boxset many of times).

Although a rip on the collection box lid and a bruised spine on 1 of the books..overall i was very glad that i bought this purchase at a time when the price was quite reasonable for all 7 books.
x
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 15 March 2011
The Harry Potter books need no introduction. They are perhaps the most phenomenal series of books ever to be published, not just because they are great stories, but becuase they got a whole generation of kids reading books.

This hardback adult-edition of all 7 books in a convenient box is surely a welcome additon on any bookshelf. Great price of a great set of books.

Oh, and for those of you who are wondering what the diffence between the "adult" version and "normal" version is; the adult version is not a more steamy edition but it's simply the cover. The adult version doesn't have the cartoon-like drawings on the front - for adults who are too scared to be seen reading a kids book in public. :)

They are of good quality, attractive covers and box to fit them into. Oh, and the pages smell vary nice, (don't ask! ;-P)
on 7 February 2014
I have read all these books to my sons and love them. I got the box set for my sister, who has seen the movies, but not read the books. It is a lovely box set and reasonably priced for all books.