I recently purchased a shred it from a local pet store for £7.99 and within 4 days I ended up with a vets bill of £97. My african grey was playing with it in his cage and my husband was in the room with him when all of a sudden the grey started to shriek. He had managed to take the toy apart and the straight part of the spring was lodged in the flesh under his tongue. My advise to anyone who purchases this toy would be to take the spring out as the toy seems to work better this way and there is less danger. The bird was being supervised as we are not careless owners and we love our bird dearly, as we learnt it only takes a few seconds before they get into trouble.