on 11 August 1999
My classroom of second and third graders loves this book so much we've worn out two copies. They constantly quote excerpts and have memorized every word. It is one of the most requested of all the classroom books (along with Kat Kong and Dogzilla) to be read out loud and is frequently taken home to be shared. I am buying another copy to begin the new school year because it is MY r-e-s-p-o-n-s-i-b-i-l-i-t-y. :-)
on 17 January 1999
This book is probably my favorite children's book of all time. It has delightful artwork and simple but funny story lines that make both children and adults laught. I so highly recommend it. =)
on 15 May 1998
When I see that a children's book has been written and illustrated by the same person, I ususally find some weakness in the story line or the visual presentation. Lane Smith has beat the pattern and authored a unique and entertaining book that caused my three children (ages 3, 11, and 12)to laugh out loud. The illustrations are marvelously spare, yet masterfully efficient in portraying the Happy quirky Hocky family. Did I tell you that I laughed out loud as well? I love sophisticated humour for kids; this is a fun book. I hope Lane Smith gives us more Hocky Family stories.
on 15 May 1998
on 17 May 1999
We have never read a funnier childrens book as this one. You and your whole family will laugh out loud together.
on 20 December 1996
The sort of thing that "deceptively simple" actually applies to.
Very iconic art, looks like it's clipped from construction paper and newsprint, but the stories are short
and very funny. It may get boring after the 900th time you have to reread it to your kid,
but that's at least 895 more time than most kid's books.
Fun for all ages. I had fun. Did you have fun? I had fun.
on 8 August 1997
I've been teaching in an elementary classroom for six years, and this is the first book I can honestly say I can't put back on the shelf! The kids are constantly asking me to read it to them again and again. The humor transcends the age of the reader, from beginning readers to adult! What a book!
on 30 August 1998
This book is really good! It's one of the best children's books I've ever read. I may be betraying the children's book community by saying this, but THE HAPPY HOCKY FAMILY beats CAT IN THE HAT any day!
on 5 May 1999
My name is Carolyn Garcia, and I have a book coming out called Moonboy.
Lane Smith is someone who has greatly inspired me and I think he is the best children's book illustrator/author out there.