Format: Blu-ray|Change
Price:£16.70+ £1.26 shipping

on 27 May 2003
This film is one of Danny Kaye's best. He plays the famous Hans Christian Andersen. Hans is just a cobbler who lives a quiet live. But he has a great imagination, every day he goes to the river to tell the local kids stories. Stories of the ugly duckling, Thumbelina and the Emperor's new clothes and many more. This makes the head master of the school very angry because no one shows up for school. He is then driven out of town to Copenhagen where he does many great things.
I don't want to tell you too much so I don't ruin it for you. This movie has so many wonderful songs. The sets are beautiful and the actors are great. It's very romantic.
What makes this movie so great is that he doesn't tell the tales, he sings them.
I watch this movie about 1-2 times per year because it makes me feel good about my self and mankind, and if that makes me a bit silly then I don't care. I love this movie and I promise you that you will to.
0Comment|164 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 April 2010
I saw this film when I was a kid and loved it.I bought the DVD for my grand children & they love it too.Excellent stories & music.
Danny Kaye was a master at this type of character.
on 1 February 2009
All time classic film. My 3 year old daughter loved the story and danced her way through the songs. She now want's to be a ballerina. Recommended for all ages, pretend to watch it with your children, but secretly enjoy it for yourself.
on 1 April 2009
Memorable tunes, glorious technicolour ( why have one colour when you can have ten !!!) and whimisical sentiment. I thought that the Hans Christian Andersen tales might be dramatised and acted out but most are simply told verbally and with a song or two. It reminds us that despite the glitz and glamour, the magic and expense of Hollywood, there's nothing quite like a simple story well told that engages the imagination. However, there is a ballet version of 'The Little Mermaid' within the film which goes on a bit... but it is imaginatively presented.
Don't expect too much, this film is what it is ( an old Hollywood slice of entertainment ) but it's charming and fun and will bring out the kid in you!
on 22 May 2010
This film is really great. I bought it so my 12 year old daughter could see one of my chilhood favourites. I never expected it to be so perfectly clear. I was expecting it to look like a faded video. Absolutely perfect good sound quality and colourful
This was my favourite film when I was growing up and I was recently thrilled to see my four year old son love it too.

The songs are still in my head from when I watched it as a child myself, around 30 years ago. Initially I bought the CD of the songs (another good buy) then as we sang along to them, I decided to buy the film and I wasn't disappointed.

The proof of its status as a classic lies in the fact that despite 3D, Pixar, and breathtaking animation and effects available in today's children's films, this simple story, filmed in 1952, held my four year old's attention throughout.

Part of me wishes they would remake it- there is huge potential for a modern effect laden fantastical adventure. Another part of me hopes they never will as this fabulous original should be left intact as a reminder that a simple tale, well told, beats anything else into a cocked hat.

My only tiny weeny grumble is that some of the ballet scenes seem to go on a long time but girls seem to like that bit and I have boys who got a bit fidgety. Highlights are Thumbelina, The Ugly Duckling, the voyage to Copenhagen, and the rather lovely Inchworm. I cannot imagine anyone else but Danny Kaye in this role. Perfect, innocent, classic.
on 13 February 2011
This is a must have film if you are into classics,magical film for all ages and a lot of great songs which everybody should know so if you are 6 or 60 this is a film for anyone who loves musicals
on 19 March 2010
I have always loved watching the Danny Kaye movies from being young myself and this I have now passed on to my daughter who is 28 now. Danny Kaye was one of those entertainers that could reduce me to tears and there is not many that can do that apart from Bette Midler and Norman Wisdom whom I still like very much and admire.
on 11 February 2009
Good old-fashioned 'happy' film I remember watching as a kid then with my own children and now my grandchildren. Brings back the days of innocent childhood with songs like Thumbelina, Ugly Duckling which the children can relate to the stories.
on 29 September 2009
Great film -takes me back to childhood - not watching (we didnt have a tv) but to radio - childrens favourites - 'the ugly duckling' now used in adverts - just goes to show you cant beat the old ones