Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 28 Mar 2011 19:38:38 BDT
Sophie says:
an Awakening/Frontios box would have made ten times more sense?

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Apr 2011 10:39:44 BDT
G. Sharman says:
originally ambassadors of death was meant to be in the box set with frontios ,but do to the difficulty with the colourisation of ambassadors ,its been delayed.thats the reason presumaly why the awakening/frontios werent packaged together

In reply to an earlier post on 2 Apr 2011 10:24:55 BDT
Sophie says:
Wasn't Ambassadors going to go with Sunmakers?

In reply to an earlier post on 6 May 2011 14:49:08 BDT
horrace says:
Very much so - unless the short story was issued on it's own as a cut price story (as was Black Orchid) then unless it had a strong and direct link to some other story then it should be released with the adjacent story (as with the vhs of Genesis\Expt).

Can't think of any appropriate pairing for Gunfighters - the only other unreleased Hartnell historical (Reign of T) is a bit too far apart. My only suggestion would be a photosnap reconstruction of the 2 missing Crusade eps - then you wouldn't quite be releasing new versions of previously released stories and the people who'd already bought the Lost set for the Hartnell stories would probably want all the content anyway !

Posted on 8 May 2011 10:13:37 BDT
Sophie says:
I don't see why The Gunfighters shouldn't be a standalone. Sure a lot of people don't like it but many do. They released Keys of Marinus alone and that had an even worse reputation.

Posted on 8 May 2011 12:39:13 BDT
horrace says:
Marinus was a key purchase for me because of how much I'd liked the beginning box set - oops I've said it ! - a box set I liked ! But that was an example of a good reason for a box set : 3 important stories in a row with good reasons to be released together - important because they were the first 3 stories if nothing else! Even if the story introducing the Daleks is deemed the more important, seeing the 1st story adds to the viewing of the 2nd story, and the 3rd story was perhaps too short to be released on it's own so made a nice bonus story for the preceding story.

As stories were originally released individually then box sets should be the exception rather than the rule. Even if, as has been suggested, they are trying to get everything released on some sort of a timescale (why?) then there's no valid reason I can see why 2 individual stories couldn't be released on the same month or even the same day.

The only reason I can see for sticking The Gunfighters in a box is ecconomic fears that it wouldn't sell on it's own and the paring above was the best I could come up with to boost it's sales with as little controversy as possible.

Posted on 4 Jun 2011 21:13:25 BDT
David says:
I agree, the combination of The Awakening and Frontios would have been alot better than putting The Awakening with The Gunfighters. Still I am looking forward to watching The Awakening.

Posted on 11 Jun 2011 10:14:23 BDT
Last edited by the author on 11 Jun 2011 10:15:57 BDT
ConsulGT says:
An odd pairing indeed, but I'm sure people will be putting the stories they don't want onto eBay, so nobody really loses out, and collectors would be buying all the DVD's eventually anyway.

Also, as Peter Davison was my favourite Doctor, I would never have considered purchasing a story from the Sixties but perhaps I'll watch The Gunfighters, enjoy it, and buy more from the Hartnell and Troughton era. So maybe there is method in the marketing after all?

Personally I'm just pleased these 'Classic' stories are getting released at all, not to mention the loving restoration and abundance of interesting extras (the BBC could have just slung them on a disc and people would still have bought them).

I don't understand why the releases seem to cause so much anger (reading the reviews, not the measured comments here), but perhaps I'm too easily pleased.

Posted on 2 Jun 2014 20:51:05 BDT
StormSworder says:
The Awakening and The Daemons would have made a better box-set, as they have similar themes.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  6
Total posts:  9
Initial post:  28 Mar 2011
Latest post:  2 Jun 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Doctor Who - Earth Story (The Gunfighters/The Awakening) [DVD]
Doctor Who - Earth Story (The Gunfighters/The Awakening) [DVD] by Peter Davison (DVD - 2011)
3.4 out of 5 stars   (43)