Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 70% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now

on 27 October 2011
I like this book very much - I love it's concept and the general layout.

It talks about decorating and furnishing a house from a different perspective - not following the latest trends but slowly building the style of a house around found, collected, handmade objects. Ok, I might be biased here since I myself make living by making and selling handmade...

In the first third of the book authors briefly talk about color, texture, then textiles and introduction of handmade to one's home. In the rest of the book there are pictures and short descriptions of (mainly) inerior of 12 homes. All the text is acompanied with lots of beautiful pictures. I would say the general style is traditional or modern simple rustic, artsy and more towards minimal.

It's not the type of a book you would follow step by step and some of it's content I couldn't apply to our semi-detached estate home, but I love to flipp through it's pages and dream 'what if...'.
VINE VOICEon 16 March 2012
I thought the concept for this book was a good one, going back to handmade things and objects with real meaning. As a designer I applaud these ideas wholeheartedly, but did the resulting interiors have to be some starkly bleak and sombre? I imagine this look is meant to appeal to the middle classes who have grown up with excess and think its now cool to look poor and threadbare at home - but if you grew up in poverty or saw your grandparent's threadbare homes in the fifties, this is really depressing stuff - and shades of Marie Antonette playing at being a peasant here too. True the Finnish house is stunning, but then the Nords and Scandis can do this sort of thing without it looking forlorn and whistfully poverty striken, it just appears natural and laid back with a real (rather than posed) honesty. Buy the book for the views of that house alone, but really you'd be better going back to a folk museum for the rest.
on 29 July 2013
Full of lovely pics and words that helped you think of things differently.....will put some ideas to use in my own home!
on 8 May 2015
Love the book. Borrowed it from the library then bought it.
on 8 January 2015