on 31 May 2009
I was first introduced to this book as a teenager in the mid seventies, and I have found it an invaluable guide. My original copy now lives in France and so I felt I just had to invest in this new edition to keep me company here in West Sussex. The illustrations are excellent, not only do you have the summer plumage of many species but also the winter plumage which can be so so different. A must for anyone wishing to identify any bird seen, whether they be a youngster or a seasoned twitcher,it is easy to use and the distribution maps are very helpful.
on 2 September 2009
The Hamlyn Field Guide to the Birds of Britain and Europe has been around long enough to be called a classic, but is it still good?

I started to use it when I began serious birding about 20 years ago, what drew me to it were the Illustrations, they are beautifully done and
usually include not only male and female, but juvenile, summer and winter plumage, allowing for easy identification of species seen.

The descriptions are well written and provide a good cross-reference to the
illustrations.

A bonus is the distrubition map for each species, this gives you a good idea where you will see a certain species.

The small size of the volume means that it fits in a field jacket pocket or rucksack with ease, unlike other so colled field guides!

So to sum up the Hamlyn Guide to Birds of Britain and Europe is an easy to use, well put together field guide for new or experienced birders.

I'm now on my third copy and wouldn't go birding without it!
on 7 August 2010
Lovely quality, good illustrations and descriptions. My new garden in Germany is full of birds and gradually working out which is which with this. Aimed at proper bird watchers - no advice on feeding birds or attracting them to your garden - but I'm happy just to know who is visiting me.
on 24 December 2012
I have tried others and always come back to borrowing my mums Hamlyn, I decided it was time to buy my own copy!
The only drawback was that this copy doesn't have the plastic cover that my mums has - but then it wasn't advertised as such either.
on 14 December 2010
I'd had one of these books many years ago and wanted an up to date version. The book was just as good - very easy to find lookups. Just find the picture and away you go!
The delivery service was excellent as always from Amazon.
on 10 January 2010
I had to replace my old edition as I had worn it out. This one is up to date with the latest habitats for birds.
on 9 January 2011
Being a keen naturalist I already have a copy of this book from 1975 and it has proved one of the most useful items in the house. Fully illustrative and informative, you cant go wrong to identify a bird using this book. Although the pictures and the species are the same, the information on breeding areas, migration etc has changed over the years and this book has it. This is probably the best Bird book you'll ever own, and for the price, its an absolute 'must have'.
Lovely book - to replace the one I had in the 70's as not sure what happened to my copy.
on 4 November 2014
All the pages on finches had been ripped out. As I had taken and given it to my son living in Denmark, it wasnt discovered till he wanted that section some time later. I did email, but never got a reply. Disapointing as I've not had this happen before.
on 23 July 2014
Excellent value for the money, pocket size with good descriptions and drawings, have now got 2, one kept in the car all the time and another for when we go out walking, easily fits into cargo pocket of trousers.