Format: DVD|Change

on 8 April 2010
This film is based on a true story that happened in Japan in the late 1920s and 1930s and which was made into a Japanese film in the 1980s. Although transposed to late 20th/early 21st century Rhode Island, the transposition has beeen handled superbly and the tale has been altereed very little - the substance and underlying story remaining intact. It tells of a dog's utter devotion and love for a man that transcends everything and I can't imagine enyone with feelings of humanity and respect for animals not being moved by it. For animal lovers it is very moving and I freely admit that as a relatively hardened 50-something man I cried. The story is simple and without sub-plots or other complications and cinematic twists but it still held me almost spellbound by its beauty and poignancy; the simplicity helps the film tell its story and show what it is trying to say without distractions. Yes, it is a sad tale but ultimately it speaks of hope and love in a way that I found really beautiful. Maybe I'm just an old softy really but I can't imagine how anyone could fail to be moved by what I saw - those who have criticised it heavily must have been watching a different film.
88 comments|128 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 May 2010
For the last hour of this film , I cried like a baby. It is truely a wonderfull film . I dont think it will ever leave me. I gave my dog an extra long cuddle that night , let me tell you . I cant recommend this film enough . Fabulous , but make sure you have a big box of tissues at hand , You will need them !
44 comments|59 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 June 2010
Having just watched this film, I had to write a review. It didn't seem to do too well in the cinema and I wasn't particularly looking forward to it, thinking it'd be a rubbish chick flick. How wrong I was. It was beautiful and I held back the tears until the last half hour when they came pouring out (2 hours later, I think there's more to come). An absolute must see for all audiences.
on 1 May 2010
At first I was very skeptical when I saw that Richard Gere was staring in this movie about a dog. Since it was movie night, my friends and I watched it just for fun, since my friends are quite difficult to please when it comes to movies - they don't want horror, fantasy, action, etc. Anyway, I am digressing! At first the movie started slowly and going along quite blandly but eventually we were taken in by the cute dog called Hachiko. For me, the dog was the main star here. He is so adorable and cute. Toward the end, when Hachiko waited in vain for his owner to return home, we all were crying. The dog's devotion and loyalty was very touching. To tell you honestly, the acting of Richard Gere and Joan Allen were very forgettable but it was the main star dog Hachiko that made this movie a hit. Or maybe I just love animals.
on 7 May 2011
Thanks to amazon I received the film very quickly so didnt have to wait long to watch it.What a great tear jerking film, would even melt the hardest of peoples hearts. well worth buying. I cried from beginning to end, and to know it was based on a true story made it even more touching. 10/10 you must watch it.
on 4 July 2010
The story begins with an Akita puppy (which was eventually named "Hachi") being transported from Japan to the US. The puppy somehow gets left behind in a train station and ends up in the hands of Parker Wilson (Richard Gere). Parker's wife was initially reluctant in keeping the dog but somehow gave in when he saw how happy her husband was with it. As the puppy grew, the bond between him and his owner only became stronger. Hachi would walk his boss to the train station, go home and then come back again at the end of the day to fetch Parker. This went on for years until Parker suddenly dies from cardiac arrest. Parker's wife could no longer take care of Hachi and he was put in the hands of her daughter. However, Hachi always managed to escape from his new owners. Days, weeks, months and even years after Parker's death, Hachi never failed to wait at the train station at exactly 5PM in the hope that his boss would come out and meet him again.

Hachi is definitely one of the best movies I have ever seen! The fact that its based on a true story makes it even more interesting to watch ;)
on 11 May 2011
I watched this film on the reccommendation from my friend. I recorded it and put off watching it thinking it would be another boring animal film. How wrong I was. It is a beautiful, beautiful story of a dog and his owner. I was a blubbering wreck by the end. It is just beautiful!.
Just received our 'third' copy of this wonderful film.
Our first viewing was only meant to be a check of the DVD quality but we could not stop watching.
Sunday morning, lunch was late and both of us in tears.
We do not always see eye to eye on films or TV, as you can tell by the reviews made here but, we both love our animals and the sense of loss when one dies is devastating, so to see the feeling of the dog when the opposite happens was heartbreaking.
We gave copy 1 to the grandchildren and ordered copy 2.
This was lent to a family member and not returned.
Copy 3 is going nowhere, it will sit beside the like of "The Green Mile", "Shawshank Redemption" and for me "Pretty Woman" as films that can be watched again and again, dependent on your mood.
Richard Gere was a bonus!!!

Review by the lady of the house.
on 19 December 2010
Hachi a Dogs Tale is a true story about an Akita Inu who waited for his master at a train station.
Hachi was relesed in 2009 and stared Richard Gere and Joan Allen as the main human characters.
This film is one of those sad animal movies like Black Beauty, Eight Below and Fluke, were the animals don't talk but you feel their emotions. Unlike those animated dog films were the dogs talk and make fart jokes and at the end they get the girl and they return home. This movie had no homeward bound type of story which almost all dog films have, it was a story of loyalty.
Plot
Hachiko is a Akita Inu who as a pup gets lost at a train station and is found by Parker Wilson who is a collage professer. He take Hachi home and adopts him. A few years later Hachiko waits at the train station to greet his master and does this every day. Until one day while the professer was at work he suffers a heart attack and dies. Hachiko waits for his masters return but the professer never gets off the train. Hachiko finally realises that his master is dead but still waits hoping that one day he would see his beloved owner again. Years pass and Hahi becomes weak and old but he still waits. One night Hachiko goes to the train station for the last time. Hachi sees Parker come through the door of the train station and runs to him. Finally Hachikos waiting is over and they are reunited and their souls rise to heaven.
My Thoughts
Overall Hachi was a beautiful film that is reallly underated. I personally think it was a film not trying to be a epic adventure like Avatar or a Comedy like Shrek. It wanted to be a true story drama about a dog's loyalty towards his master. Because of this it made it different to many films we've seen in the past decade. I do love this movie and it is one of my favorites films of all time. I have yet to find a movie that can make me cry so much as this movie did. After Parker dies I was sobbing for the rest of the film and you can only imagine how much I wept when Hachiko gets reunited with Parker and its even more sadder when you know this is a true story. By the end of the film I was a complete wreck but I still love the movie for being so different. Grated its not for everyone, so if you just like adventure films or romantic comedys this probably not the film for you. But if you love all different types of movie like me or you love film like Eight Below this is definitely a great film for you.
Personally 10/10 :)
on 31 July 2012
HACHI, A DOGS TALE
Terrific movie, starring Richard Gere, and the dog(s) who played Hachi. A true story of love and faithfulness between a dog and his person. A dog, bred in Japan, is sent to the USA to be delivered to it's new owner. The carrier is misdirected and ends up on the train station platform in a small New England town. Eventually Richard Gere takes him home.

Every day Hachi follows Gere to the train station, which Gere takes to and from his job. He is a college professor of music. Hachi goes home after the train comes, and returns to the station at 5 p.m. to wait for Gere's return. Day in, day out, year in, year out, no matter what the weather is, or how cold or hot it is, Hachi is there. Hachi never missed, even after Gere has a heart attack and doesn't come home ever again.

This movie was nominated for several academy awards in 2009. I recommend it for the family, including children of all ages. Fantastic dog! A good lesson on love and faith, and the heart of a dog. Well done. Have tissues nearby.