Size: 8GB|Colour Name: Blue|Change

on 6 March 2012
I did lots of speed tests and this beauty was reaching an amazing 35MB per second read speed which is a weird one since it's only USB2!

It's write speeds are not as fast though, 11MB was it's best which is fine for copying over music and video.

As for small files such as creating office documents, using a portable web browser, forget it, this things write speeds for small files is painfully slow.

This has been designed for media in mind and that's what it should be used for.

I got mine for £24 including delivery so i've noticed that price has gone up to £35 as of this review, however considering its size and performance for media related uses, even at £35 this little beauty is a bargain!

For people that are interested in obtaining a 32GB memory stick for productivity purposes such as mobile programs and web browser, look no further than the Duracell Capless 32GB.

Duracell Capless 32GB USB Memory Drive

It's not as small as the HP v165 but it's fast, made of durable rubber and cheap as chips at its current asking price of £16.97!
on 5 September 2012
Short review:

I chose this USB stick because it's very small, has no flashing lights and carries a relatively huge capacity. Unfortunately, it didn't last more than a couple of months when I used it as a boot drive for my server - the internal electronics failed completely.

Longer review:

I wanted to use this in my HP Microserver as a USB boot drive, so that I could have maximum hard drive storage capacity. It worked as expected at the start, being successfully formatted under Ubuntu Linux and acting as a boot drive (no swap file). I was concerned about wear, but as a boot drive, it generally wouldn't be accessed apart from at boot or to launch media management software (Plex) which generally runs a service. I also took steps to minimise wear by installing Linux without swap and creating my media library and transcoding scratch drive on a real hard drive in my RAID array.

It worked well for a while - but an order of magnitude slower than a hard drive. However, one day my server stopped providing service and, on reboot, wouldn't respond to ping.

Unfortunately, the worst had happened: somehow the USB boot drive had been corrupted, taking details of my RAID array with it as well as my settings for Plex media manager.

I couldn't even access data when I plugged the USB drive into another computer - it shows up as a "USB Composite Device" under Mac OS X provided by Integrated Technology Express, Inc. but I don't even get a prompt to initialise the drive. This suggests to me a microcontroller failure.

Ultimately, this only caused inconvenience as I rebuilt the server with Ubuntu and a new content setup (had been replicated) - but I would strongly reconsider using a USB flash drive as a boot drive of any sort and especially this particular model. Unfortunately, I'm beyond the return date now but if I could, I'd be getting this swapped. It's fine as general data storage but definitely not something that needs reliability or integrity.

I suppose you pays your money and you takes your choice - but think carefully about where you're using it.
on 10 April 2012
[UPDATE 2012-05-03] [Original review at the bottom, where I gave it 5 stars, this is the update, where it gets 1 star:]

I put this neat little thing, which I was very happy with until now, into my USB port to copy some files onto and suddenly, mid-copy, the device stalled. I cancelled the copy and went to pull it out and it literally fell apart in my hands.

The plastic end pulled straight off and I had to then pull the inner metal sleeve out of the USB port. The internal electronic 'slab' with the pins and actual memory chip then slipped out of this sleeve.

Putting the parts back together did no good, as it now gets read errors, fails to respond, etc.

The device has been used reasonably, with no real wear and tear (I had it just short of 4 weeks) and has only been used inside the home. I think the physical design of the item may be the problem: the end plastic outer shell was not properly fixed to the inner components.

This is the first thing I've had to return to Amazon. Fortunately, their service is good.

[Original Review follows]

I bought this USB drive because it has no blinking LED.

This means I can use it in a video player connected to the TV without having to balance the cap on it to obscure the flashing light. It also means I can use it with a MP3 compatible stereo, in the dark without it illuminating the whole room or worrying about keeping the cap balanced on top of it. It's true I could affix a piece of tape over a drive with an LED, but in addition, this drive is small - exactly twice the length of the metal USB connector (makes me wonder why others need to be so large) - so this thing is perfect in every sense for my purposes.

The cap fits snugly when you put it on one way round, but is loose when you put it on the other way around; something to do with the plastic ridges on the inside of the cap and how they line up witht he metal connector. It's easy to just flip it the other way round for a proper fit. This is the unit's only downside, and a pretty minor one.

The unit is adequately fast for a USB 2 Flash drive. Read speed is 23.5 MBps and write speed is 10.5 MBps; about normal for devices of this class.

If they make a USB 3 version of this device with a faster write speed - so loading the drive doesn't take so long - I'll probably buy one of those next time because in every other respect, this unit (small and with no light) is perfect.
review image
on 12 April 2014
my rating of five says it all,it does everthing I expected it to do.Product was delivered on time and was well packed well priced to,I would recommend seller and product to anyone looking for this type of device.
on 6 July 2014
This memory stick is great value. Got all my music on it which I can now play in my car. Mp3 WMA and iTunes all work.
on 18 August 2014
I always buy at least a 32gb nowadays because there is so much stuff one needs to backup! It isnt super fast, but its not the slowest one I possess. I love the way it looks and the thinness of it. Very handy with the key ring so it doesnt get lost.
VINE VOICEon 16 April 2015
There are only two quality issues with USB sticks that consumers really care about: The reliability of the data storage, and the durability of the housing.
This HP drive has so far done well in the former, but is terrible in the latter. It has actually come to pieces on me twice in the 10 months I've owned it, and is the first memory stick ever to do so in my experience. After 8 months of use, where it was by no means used every day, it completely fell apart when trying to unplug it from the port. I was left holding the blue outer housing while the 3 parts that form the data storage and connection were still stuck in the port. I was able to get them out and put the thing back together again with a dab of superglue, but it's not easy working out which parts go where.
Then a couple of months later I was in a presentation and noticed it was lying on the floor, even though I was still wearing my lanyard. This time the small attachment loop had snapped off completely. I was very lucky not to lose all my data first time, and the whole thing the second time.
This is just too much a risk for the kind of data I carry around, so I won't be buying anything like this again.
on 12 February 2012
HD Tune pro 5.0:

Read: Min 21.7 MB/s, Max 26.3 MB/s, Average 22.4 MB/s

Windows 7:

21.6 MB/s read, 11.8 MB/s write (copying a 700 MB movie too and from this USB drive)

Fastest USB drive I have ever owned!
on 8 March 2014
Very stylish and fits on your key ring quite smoothly, for the price of 32gb, its a bargain, if you have a huge music collection like i have then this is handy.
on 2 August 2011
Great piece of kit. Good quality and looks and feels solid despite the plastic body. The transfer speeds seem to be good enough though I dont have numbers to offer. However, there is one issue with this pen drive. The cap is very loose and its easy to lose it. I have however, managed to circumvent the problem by pouring a few drops of cyanoacrylate glue on the insides of the cap and after leaving it to dry it forms a coating thereby making the cap tight enough.
Very small, very handy and very cool.