Size: Printer With Start Up Toner|Change

on 17 March 2016
Like some other people, I had trouble with the wireless set up (from a Macbook Pro): tried several times but the process always failed towards the end. I spent some time looking through troubleshooting notes on HP's site, and eventually I found a remark that the printer only supported 802.11n WiFi in the 2.4GHz band. I remembered that my router uses both 2.4GHz and 5GHz, so I disabled the 5HGz band on the router and I was able to set up the printer for wireless printing using a USB cable. I re-enabled the 5HGz band on my router and it has worked fine over WiFi ever since.

Once connected to my WiFi network, it also works fine over WiFi under Linux with hplip (my OS is Antergos: a variant of Arch Linux). I had to make sure that "cups" and "sane" were both installed before setting up the printer, and had to run "hp-setup" first to download the HP plugin, even though the system thought that it already had it.

Printing is nice and fast and the quality is reasonable for this price, and the scanner gives mostly good results although it has some internal "intelligence" that tries to detect when you are scanning several pictures at once and separates them into different files. In one case it split a single picture with lots of white areas into little bits, and I couldn't find a way of turning this function off. Eventually I solved the problem by putting the picture under some coloured card so that it was completely surrounded by a coloured border, and then cropped the border away after the scan.
on 8 March 2015
Very good printer but the installation on Windows 7 64-bit failed, and I had to use Windows to find and install it's own drivers by simply connecting the printer to the PC. This was after the install CD failed 3 times despite following guidelines. Very poor contrast LCD display.

I had a problem with "Supply Memory Error" shown every time the printer turns on but this turned out to be my mistake. When installing the printer cartridge, which is inside the printer as packaged for delivery, an orange tab needs to be removed from the cartridge. The presence of the tab prevents the printer from detecting the cartridge properly.

Having said that, once working the printer (via USB) is fast and good quality. Scanner working using generic Windows capabilities because the software installation failed.
on 27 July 2014
Working great so far ( 2 months in)
Printing is fast and good quality as you'd expect from a laser jet.
Wifi is difficult to setup with my mac book- the setup wizard tried but failed; after 3 times I gave up.
When I can be bothered I'll try to sort it out but so far it's very easy to use with the USB cable.
on 3 April 2014
This is the fifth printer I've bought in the last ten years. The others have all been colour inkjets which have lasted for a year or so before the printing quality became unacceptable and they had to go. This time I'm trying a mono laser printer - I'm hoping that the laser printing mechanism is more robust than that of the inkjet printers and that this printer will last longer than its predecessors. This printer certainly has a quality feel to it. It took quite a few minutes to remove all the protective packaging and install the included toner cartridge, but the task was easy enough to do.
Setting up the wireless connection to my computer was also quite easy - I just followed the instructions in the booklet and the printer picked up my wireless connection and installed itself, although it did take about 20 minutes to do so. It works well - prints are very clean and crisp. The copier and scanner are both easy to use. There's also the possibility of printing remotely with this device via the HP website if required.
So far, so good.
on 5 May 2015
Really nice printer. However, there is an issue when working with Apple AirPrint - which to be fair I think is an iOS 8 issue. As I bought the printer so I could use AirPrint this is a bit annoying. The problem is iPad and iPhones appear to forget the printer after about five minutes and the only way I have found to re-discover the printer is to stop/start WiFi on the idevice. Once this is done you can print again. Printing from PC's on wired or wifi networks seems fine.
The print quality and speed of the printer is great.
on 7 March 2016
Don't have much to add to the pros/cons found in other reviews. However, I bought the printer in Feb. 2016 & downloaded an update from the HP website dated Dec. 2015 which may have solved a lot of the install issues mentioned. Installation on MacBook pro (2012)/El Capitan, MacBook (2007)/Snow Leopard & an XP PC have all been smooth, wireless (and wired) work fine on all machines. Also able to print from an iphone 4 without any additional apps/software.

FYI: one con mentioned is that double-sided printing has to be done manually. I use this printer at home. It is a very minor inconvenience. You re-feed the paper with the printed side face down & top of the page oriented toward the inside of the printer.

I bought the printer for £99 at Argos last week (when it was £100 on Amazon) and see today the price has jumped by £20 there and £9 on Amazon, so keep an eye on the price...
on 5 August 2015
The print quality is excellent, crisp and clean. Could not be better. It printed a 55 page document in 160 seconds, and the first page came out very quickly.

The installation cd failed at about the 60% mark. In the end I downloaded the drivers.

To print wirlessly was complicated to set up, I suspect if you are new to computing it might be beyond you. I recommend you go to the HP Web sight which has a lot of on wireless printing information which is really useful.

I installed the printer on a shelf on a computer desk, under the monitor etc. I thought the led screen was not working, till I realised it was not illuminated. I had to use a touch to use it. That is the worse thing about the machine
on 2 May 2015
Bought at Argos as I had a Gift Voucher. Still, I had this bad Install experience as others refer to.
- First: The CD does not do Autorun and when try to open manually it gave me some Missing File error ------ Solved by copying the CD to the hard disk and opened manually by there.
- Second: Installation goes on until I've got the "Fatal Error" message which advises you to Restart the PC and try again.....and again...and again...because it's not working. ---------- Solution?.....web search, that leads to HP website and there are all known issues about this install difficulties ....so they are aware about it. Still........nothing from what they recommended DID NOT work.
- Final solution that made my HP to be finally installed and working perfectly, was: ............Having NONE of the errors above mentioned by HP, and NOT FOUND any of the error message codes in the Event Viewer, I did the following: I still had the HP Download and Install Assistant from HP website on my screen, I DID NOT follow like before the Recommandations from the HP Install Error screen which advise you to restart the computer and try again. I just press the "Reinstall" button from the HP Assistant and went through all the initial install steps, BUT, as for my surprise, as I still had the Printer ON, and USB connected, the Install process skipped to the end of connection step, and asked me to make sure the USB cable is connected - but it was already, and I was also able to press the "Next" blue button, and this way went to next step "Install" wich ended up the instalation, and all good now, it printed the Test Page. And it prints everything else. Pfiuu, good relief. Please update your instructions and advises to others too. Thanks and Good luck to you all. Ady
on 17 December 2015
The decision to buy this printer was by referral of a similar model, and the disgust at the cost of unnecessary coloured inkjets. I need just a mono printer and a scanner, if possible wireless in order to hide the thing away in another room. Initially I was nervous that my MacBook may not connect wirelessly, as other printers proved, and how awkward Apple can sometimes be. Typically I allowed the printer to set itself up merely by plugging it in. Straight away it worked very well with a lead, but I couldn't get the wireless to, even though from my iPhone 6 it would without a problem. Blessed with a CD drive I did what you are supposed to and loaded up the drivers from the supplied disc. Immediately the printer and Mac(El Capitan) linked themselves together. So, perfect job done! Several reviewers have commented on the lack of illumination on the printer's display. This is awkward, but you will very rarely need to consult it. The only other very, very slight nuisance is that there seems to be no way of scanning from the printer. Instead you have to open the appropriate file on your computer - hardly a drama! So I can so far highly recommend this printer! That's all folks! :)
on 5 April 2016
No set up problems here - plugged it in and pressed the wireless button, it prompted me to press the WPS button on my router and automatically connected to my home network without the need to enter my router's password. Then I was able to wirelessly print to it straight away from both my MacBook and iMac without the need to install anything further, and my iPhone also prints to it no problem. No messing about, very impressed. It's a bit too chunky for my liking and the LCD display is difficult to read, I have to get right down next to it to see it, but they are my only criticisms and I've owned a few printers over the years