This is quite a large desktop printer which when new performs well and produces both colour and B&W pages of very high quality. At the time I bought mine (2007), it was one of the few affordable desktop colour laser printers available, and I thought it was just great.

This delight didn't last, however; now the bad news:

1. The feeder is quite temperamental, and needs constant tweaking for it to work

2. Much more serious, this printer (and reportedly others from HP which use the same Canon-designed components) has a major design fault, which is why HP no longer sells it new. The print mechanism is hypersensitive to dust, which blocks the mirrors and makes the colours fade, starting with the magenta/reds. At first I thought the magenta ink cartridge needed replacing, but replacing the cartridge with a new one didn't fix the problem. How long it takes you to discover this fault will depend on the amount of printing you do, and how much dust is in your local environment.

The HP helpline will tell you how to fix the fault via a frustrating and complicated procedure involving dismantling, cleaning and re-assembling the printer. This is not recommended for anyone unfamiliar with this type of equipment, and those short-on-patience should not even attempt it. There is no easy fix, and if you go through this ridiculous process it will only fail again within weeks or months, depending on the dust content of the atmosphere in which the printer is used.

HP admit this machine (and others manufactured with the same components) have this fault, but won't replace the printers with a model that works, so once it's out of warranty you have to dump this useless piece of junk or else use it only for monochrome document printing, which in the case of my machine, it continued to deliver no problem. Post-market surveillance of customer satisfaction? Fail: 1/10.

Beware: if you need a reliable colour laser printer, look elsewhere. Beware also that some Canon printers use the same useless print engine, as they designed it.
on 15 January 2012
I've had one of these for about three years - it was a present, but at the time cost close to £300 (but I knoe why the price had dropped so significantly. When new you will love it, the quality of print is excellent, it's reasonably fast and duplex is a dream. My printing needs are fairly low probably about 1500 pages a year, so it's not been overworked - I've changes the colour cartridges three times and I'm on my 5th balck.

The design flaw with this is that the lasers operate via mirrors (one for each colour) that are in a modular part (deep inside layers of electronics) which is not available as a spare part, nor is it easily accessable - I've had to do "open heart surgery" on it twice. The first colour to fade to insignificance is red (the lowest mirror whcih catches the most passing dust) - put "HP 2605dn, doesn't print red" in your favourite search engine and you should find the instructions for the "fix" - it's a complete pain and has taken me (with my technical and mechanical background) too many hours of stress to face suffering it again.

Unless you live (or work) in a completely dust-free environment and just love taking machines apart and struggling to put them back together again (wondering if the printer has already printed its last page) don't buy this printer! I regret to dump a printer that it mechanically in good condition and plenty of toner, but print is dull and faded because it is highly alergic to minimal dust - a wast of paper or a waste of a lot of time - don't waste your money.
on 17 November 2012
Working now under Windows 8 X64 pro - Been using 2 of these 2605Dn and 2605DTN since 2007 from new and never experienced these kind of problems, all these reviewers describe. Also they are NOT expensive to run, as compatible toners re-built to ISO standards are still readily available. There is no drum, fuser or waste toner supplies to order. Only the toners themselves 4 of them

Originally in 2007, when these were new, you used the supplied cdrom to install the drivers for the printer. After that you install the PCL6 Universal printer driver for all network connections and for USB drivers, install the usb driver. both of the current applications are easily found on the HP.com website.

I use Xerox paper for all my printing needs that give outstanding results for a huge amount less in cost; than HP specialist media.

Current drivers for Windows 7 do work in Windows 8 _ just choose either 64 bit or 32 bit to match your PC configuration.

Maintenance, depending on use, clean as per Maintenance instructions supplied on line or in the downloaded manual to ensure peak operation. heavy use about once every 8-9 months
on 6 February 2012
This is my third laser printer, my first being a Samsung, then a Brother. When the Brother gave up the ghost, I saw this colour printer on a deal and purchased it.

At first I LOVED this printer! So much so that I hardly used my Canon Pro9000 unless for A3 prints.

After some time, though, I noticed the colour paling and after checking toner levels (all OK) I contacted HP Support who took me through endless rigmaroles for about an hour, concluding in "it must be a hardware failure. There's a list of HP approved repairers on the website." Thank you very much HP. All the "HP approved repairers" listed within 100 miles were not repairers, but suppliers. Thanks again HP.

Having researched the Internet, I found this is a common fault of the printer with toner dropping onto the mirrors (see earlier reviewer with whom I wholeheartedly agree!)

Having looked into the DIY fix, I concluded it is beyond me and I can't really have it out of action for the time it would take my engineer husband to sort it out in his spare time.

So I now have a very expensive monochrome laser printer and wouldn't touch another HP printer with a very, very long bargepole!

It's back to my trusty Canon for colour printing.
on 6 July 2012
I've had this printer for 10 months. Thought I'd got a bargain since it was terrific at first. Then at about 8-9 months it started printing increasingly washed-out images. Like the others, the red in particular is most noticeable. I thought it was a toner issue until I read the other reviews and was about to spend another £100+ on replacing them. Think I'll buy a new printer instead.