Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now  Up to 70% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 12 Jun 2012 23:57:31 BDT
Last edited by the author on 13 Jun 2012 00:07:44 BDT
John H says:
Hi. (I'm hoping AndroidSlates will pitch in with some help with this).

I've had my Neuropad 2 Ultra for around 2 weeks now, very impressed given the price.

I would really appreciate some help with altering the Video Output Spec over HDMI. While on holiday it worked just fine with a new-ish Sony Bravia TV. On my return home I tried it with my ageing Samsung 5 series LCD set which flags up a message stating that the format output from the Neuropad is not supported. I also tried routing it through my Pioneer AV reciever but this gave the same results.

I'm new to Android from Apple gear (through choice) so I guess my question is this:

Is it possible through system settings to specify the Video Output to either 720p or 1080p? to be honest I'd even take interlaced (I have looked but this doesn't seem possible).

Or, alternatively is there an app that would achieve this?

Please help - my kids would be made up as most of their DVDs now reside within the neuropad!

Thanks in anticipation

Posted on 13 Jun 2012 08:56:48 BDT
Lee G says:
Sorry to hijack your post, I've no idea if you can actually change the output settings (I suspect you can't though).

I have a quick question about ripping the DVD's, do you use a free DVD Ripper and what is the quality like when you view it on the tablet? I've tried a couple of freeware programs on my PC, but when I watch it back on the tab, I can see a bit of glitching when there is fast moving action. Am I just compressing it to far, I've gone from an original size of about 5GB for a Star Wars:Phantom Menace down to just over 1GB? I don't rip enough DVD's to justify purchasing software, just wanted to have a play really.

In reply to an earlier post on 13 Jun 2012 10:34:43 BDT
Last edited by the author on 13 Jun 2012 10:48:30 BDT
John H says:
Hi Lee

No worries, yes I fear you are probably right regarding the HDMI output settings.

I bought a commercially available DVD ripper because we were finding that we were having to replace way too many DVDs through our wonderful kids damaging them, I think I paid around £20.00, so for us it's been well worth it. Becuase they are mainly kids DVDs I'm not overtly bothered about acheiving HD quality, simply becuase the Kids aren't bothered either, however I usually find that around 1.15GB per hour of video gives very good results - exact settings would be:

Frame rate:24 per second.
Video data rate:1200 kbps
Audio data rate: 128 kbps
Frame resolution (W / H) 960 x 640

The Neuropad reproduces this level of video very well on it's own screen given it's only VGA resolution (640 x 480) however when I have managed to get it to work over HDMI it is truly stunning given the limitations of heavily compressed material. I would guess there is some upscaling going on inside the Neuropad? (though this could have possibly been the TV doing this).

If you are concerned about glitching I would suggest that as a start you increase your frames per second rate and also that you allow for a little less compression.

I hope this helps.

Kind Regards

J

Posted on 13 Jun 2012 10:55:49 BDT
Lee G says:
Hi J,

Thanks for the reply, maybe I'm trying to reduce the size down too dramatically then as just under 1GB for a 2 hour 10 minutes film is perhaps to small. I'll have a play with the settings, thanks for your help.

Lee.

Posted on 13 Jun 2012 11:21:43 BDT
John H says:
Hi Lee

You're more than welcome, I don't pretend to be an expert by the way but the above settings work for us fine, hope you work things out.

J

Posted on 13 Jun 2012 14:03:46 BDT
H. A says:
Hi,

unfortunately there is no way to alter video out settings, I suspect the resolution is too high for the TV to display and it has no downscaling software. Is there a firmware update for the TV? it might help/

In reply to an earlier post on 19 Jun 2012 18:24:05 BDT
John H says:
Hi H.A

Thank you, I suspect such lines of enquiry may prove way too time consuming but I'll make a quick call to Samsung to see if they can help out, I am of the mind to dowload a different video player app to see if this sorts it, I'll update, thanks for your help

Kind Regards

J
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions