Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£0.99

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 8 September 2013
Gus is about an ex-policeman who has been attacked and burnt by yobs. He is a survivor of an horrific attack and just get by, day by day. It is the story of one day in his life, his last day, as it is said in the first sentence. You cannot help but want to cry ''hang on there, there is something they can do, let her phone for help''.
The thing that hit me most is that Gus, in his despair, never thought of taking his own life, or this is not told in the story. So, the irony of the end did not escape me, because somewhere, deep down, Gus must have had some hope, hope that someone else took away.

I seldom read short stories and I do not like swearing. Yet, I have enjoyed this short story, because the author has really managed to capture Gus' emotions and to pass them onto the reader. The swearing was just to show Gus' frustration towards the world. I do not think other words could have described it as accurately.

Only 11 pages, but very emotionally charged. Keep a tissue close by if you cry easily (like me).

And it is free at the time of this review, so , take advantage of it to download it.
on 10 September 2013
David does seem to be a short story specialist. Writing short stories can sometimes be more difficult than writing a longer one. Because you need a beginning, middle and end in the space of a few thousand words, and still display the crucial details of the story and keep it interesting.

The pacing and interest was dead on. Gus, once a regular guy on the beat, is now a disfigured individual who many laugh and sneer at. The book is set in a typical day for Gus. You'll see how he discerns the world around him and how people view him.

Things can be learnt from this story. Because it actually does have some moral lessons to it. Get yourself a copy, and you'll find out.

I actually enjoyed this more than the Authors other work, this clearly indicates the author is progressing. Always a good sign.

Next stop, a novel? Uh David?

But a prequel to 'Gus' would actually also be great. So we can see how his life was like before and of course how the incident occurred.

10/10
on 7 September 2013
Touching story. It took me a while to get used to Gus' voice as he's a character so different from me, but it was well worth the effort. This is a sad story, uncomfortable at times, but there is something beautiful about it too. There are some strong emotions and atmosphere here too! The whole cast of characters are very realistic.
on 11 October 2013
This must be one of the first short stories I've read, mainly because I do tend to avoid them as I prefer full length books. I'm glad I gave this one a try though as I thought it was an excellent read. The author captured the main characters frame of mind perfectly, and no words were wasted in the telling. I felt sorry for Gus and understood his attitude of what's the 'bloody' point after such an horrific attack. I'd like to think he lived but that's one for each persons imagination after reading the book.
Will I read more from this author? Definitely, and after reading this one book I can recommend him.