is already one of the biggest games ever on home consoles, but can it really be made to work on a portable like the DS? A lot of effort has certainly gone into ensuring it does, with the Guitar Hero - On Tour
coming bundled with a special “Guitar Grip” attachment of four plastic fret buttons.
| There might be only four fret buttons, but the game can be as hard as ever |
| Blow into the microphone to put out a fire during an axe battle |
| Guitar Duels work a lot better than the boss battles in Guitar Hero III |
With the Guitar Grip in place, you hold the game horizontally and watch as the notes you have to play scroll down on the top screen. You then have to press the appropriate fret buttons and strum along on the touchscreen with the included plectrum shaped stylus.
It’s a clever way to get around the fact that there’s no actual guitar controller, but watch how long you play, or you may get a case of hand cramp. You'll also want a set of headphones for maximum sound quality. No, Guitar Hero - On Tour isn't quite the same as jamming in your living room with a full guitar controller. But for the Guitar Hero-fan on the move though, this is as good as it gets. Key Features
About the Developer: Vicarious Visions
- Fingertip control: The Guitar Grip attachment and plectrum stylus recreate the full Guitar Hero experience a lot better than some might have expected.
- All the hits: Guitar Hero - On Tour includes 26 licensed tracks, almost all of which are master recordings, from bands including Smash Mouth, Santana, and ZZ Top.
- Familiar faces: Single-player career mode works just like on the home console games with familiar rock personas including Axel Steel and Judy Nails.
- Battle of the bands: An enhanced version of the battle mode from Guitar Hero III has you putting out flaming notes by blowing into the microphone or signing autographs as you play.
- Join a jam: Play with or against a friend in wireless mode as you jam together or take part in your own guitar duel.
Founded by two brothers while they were still in school, Vicarious Visions made its name with PC space-combat sim Terminus
and went on to become one of the most prolific portable developers in the United States before being acquired by Activision in 2005.
Handheld gamers can now unleash their inner rock star with Guitar Hero: On Tour for Nintendo DS. You can enjoy the unique Guitar Hero experience and show off your shredding skills with a diverse set of tracks that encompass classic rock, alternative and pop hits. The game comes with the revolutionary Guitar Hero Guitar Grip that fits into the DS and brings new thrills to handheld gaming.
Guitar Hero: On Tour offers gameplay that is easy to play yet difficult to master. Jam to your favourite tunes in Career mode and keep improving your skills. Join together with other players in Co-op mode using a local wireless network, or battle another player in a duel using new Battle Items blow into the microphone to extinguish pyrotechnics that go wrong, or use the touch screen to autograph a crazed fan's shirt.
- Includes Guitar Hero: On Tour, Guitar Grip controller, Guitar Grip skin sheet, Guitar Grip strap
- Choose from six awesome characters and unlock five new venues
- Outfit your character in various styles and select the axe colour of your choice
- Rock out to master tracks featuring songs popularized by Nirvana, OK GO and No Doub
- Specifically designed for the unique capabilities of the Nintendo DS