Format: Paperback|Change

on 29 October 2013
Guilty as Sin was a lovely surprise. I haven't read anything by this author before so I didn't really have any expectations, but after reading the fab Rescue Me by Christy Reece, (review coming soon) I have been looking around for a similar read. And Guilty as Sin was it.

It begins fourteen years in the past when our hero, Tommy, and heroine, Kate, are nineteen and sixteen respectively. They are in love, and one night, when Tommy sneaks over while her parents are out, Kate's world comes crashing down around her when her brother is kidnapped and murdered. She was meant to be looking after him, but instead was making out with Tommy on the beach just outside her house.

The book then moves to the present day, and Kate is now working for a foundation dealing with missing children. She's an expert in the field, so when a girl goes missing in the same town her brother died, and where she would holiday every year with her family, Kate is forced to face her past, and Tommy.

I loved this book. The suspense is built up brilliantly, and although the suspect is a bit predictable, I still thought the writing was really good and the tension wracked up nicely as Tommy, Kate and others try and find the missing fourteen girl, Tricia. Alden is also extremely proficient at writing steamy sex scenes, and I loved how the sexual tension was developed between Kate and Tommy.

It isn't easy for them to see each other again after what happened all those years ago. With so many misunderstandings and mistakes they both find it hard to be around each other. But as time moves along, they have to work together and so begins their healing.

The mystery aspect to the plot is pretty predictable. I knew right from the word go who the culprit would be, but it didn't really spoil my enjoyment too much. The subject matter is hard hitting in that young kids, mainly girls, are being kidnapped, sexually assaulted, and murdered. We do get a few chapters from the view point of the murderer and it is a little icky but it's meant to be so. We are definitely not meant to sympathise in any way with this evil person.

I thought Alden did a great job combining a suspenseful, hard hitting subject matter with a steamy romance. Before I started reading romantic suspense seriously, I didn't think these two genres would mesh well, but when written by an expert hand, it works really well. I've definitely found a new author to glom. (And just so you know, as I write this review I'm already reading another book by Alden called Beg for Mercy - really good so far).

As well as the mystery aspect of the book, the romantic element is sooooo good. I loved these two characters, they are so real and believable. Of course Tommy is sexy as hell, but I really liked Kate too. She is strong and vulnerable all rolled into one, what she does as a career is admirable after everything she has been through, and when Tommy finds out that their lives could have been so very different if it wasn't for Kate's father, his wall comes crashing down and his feelings take over.

The only aspects of the book that were the reason it didn't get 5 stars is because the suspect is quite predictable and the ending with Kate's family is just too over the top. I don't believe it would be that easy and it jarred against the believability the rest of the novel had, which is a bit disappointing. However, the ending is satisfying with regards to the romance, and as this is a stand alone novel, I did love how everything was wrapped up nicely.

VERDICT

Guilty as Sin is a great romantic suspense. The plot is exciting and drives the story forward with lots of tension. The sexual chemistry between the hero and heroine is sizzling, the sex is steamy and the characters are loveable. If you enjoy romantic suspense, then I'm sure you'll love this book.
on 22 August 2013
I have read some of Jami Alden's books Beg For Mercy, Hide From Evil. Run From Fear... Wow the psychological is soo good, keep me guessing, and the romance is sooo erotic, cant wait for her new release....Can you let me know when her new book will be released?...And what is the title?......