It is amazing that after over 20 years, "Guilty" is still Streisand's largest selling album. Barry Gibb and his brothers have worked wonders with many female artists, but this is probably their best writing and production work (Grammy winners). Garnering 5 singles with 2 going to #1, this is Barbra's essential "pop" album. From the R&B laden title track to the softly, sultry "Run Wild", Streisand's voice is relished. The Gibb's really know how to focus on Barbra's strengths. The two duets are some of Barry Gibb's strongest vocals to date and all the songs are bouncy, pop masterpieces. Finishing off nicely with the extravagant "Make It Like A Memory", you'll just hit the 'play' button again. Great album. Great songs. Great memories.
All tracks are newly remastered from original master tapes. The DVD side contains the entire album in *LPCM Stereo with an interview of Barbara and Barry Gibb on the original recording of "Guilty", filmed in 2005 during the recording of Barbara's new album. There is also a video performance of one of the songs from the new album included exclusively on this disc as a preview of the new album. There is also the video of "Guilty" from Streisand's TV Special "One Voice" filmed in 1986. A photo gallery of the original studio shots/outtakes is also here on the DVD side.
* The official term (sometimes abbreviated to 'PCM') for the high-quality stereo soundtrack found on most music DVDs. It refers to the most common digital recording process, first introduced with CD. In fact, DVD supports higher-resolution versions of LPCM than CD, the most common of which is 48kHz/16 bit (as opposed to CD's 44.1kHz/16 bit). It should be noted that LPCM Stereo is 'uncompressed', offering higher quality than such 'compressed' alternatives as Dolby Stereo (commonly used for feature films).
on 12 August 2003
Put Barbra Streisand and the Gibb brothers together and what do you get, yes a number one album. What an album, from the cover to the music. Barbra looks just beautiful on the cover of this album. Lets go throught the songs, GUILTY (Duet with Barry Gibb) their voices combine really well together,(buy the ONE VOICE CONCERT and you will see them perform it live on stage together) WOMAN IN LOVE, Her last solo UK No'1 hit and what a beautiful song it was. RUN WILD was actually the B side to Woman in love and I thought it should have been an A side on it's own right.PROMISES great beat, Streisand sings I think with a very sexy voice on this song.THE LOVE INSIDE This will make you cry, lovely. LIFE STORY A belter, as Ethal Merman called her years ago, that means the song, the voice and of course Barbra, thats how I would describe this song. NEVER GIVE UP This I think sould have been on A Star is Born soundtrack album, it's got a very 70's feel. MAKE IT LIKE A MEMORY 7.30mins long, a big production number is what Barbra does best.
On the first CD, all tracks are newly remastered from original master tapes. The DVD side contains the entire album in *LPCM Stereo with an interview of Barbara and Barry Gibb on the original recording of "Guilty", filmed in 2005 during the recording of Barbara's new album. There is also a video performance of one of the songs ("Stranger In A Strange Land") from the new album included exclusively on this disc as a preview of the new album. There is also the video of "Guilty" from Streisand's TV Special "One Voice" filmed in 1986. A photo gallery of the original studio shots/outtakes is also here on the DVD side.
It is amazing that after over 25 years, "Guilty" is still Streisand's largest selling album. Barry Gibb and his brothers have worked wonders with many female artists, but this is probably their best writing and production work (Grammy winners). Garnering 5 singles with 2 going to #1, this is Barbra's essential "pop" album. From the R&B laden title track to the softly, sultry "Run Wild", Streisand's voice is relished. The Gibb's really know how to focus on Barbra's strengths. The two duets are some of Barry Gibb's strongest vocals to date and all the songs are bouncy, pop masterpieces. Finishing off nicely with the extravagant "Make It Like A Memory", you'll just hit the 'play' button again. Great album. Great songs. Great memories.
on 10 November 2009
I'm a German engineer and businessman who listended to Barbra Streisand the 1980ies, the 90ies, and in 2000. I discovered her when I studied in the U.S. in the 1980ies. So I know her voice as a younger woman and as a mature woman.

Some reviewers complain that Barbra's voice has become "older", "deeper" - to my personal impression her voice has become warmer and more mature. I have to confess that I admire both, the young Streisand in the 1980ies, and the mature Streisand of now. - Her singing has always been wonderful, and she has got standing ovations from the audiences more often than any other singer I have ever listended to.

I lived and studied in the 1980ies in Boston, Massachusetts and in Palo Alto, California. I bought hundreds of LPs and CDs from various artists, however Barbra Streisand has always been my all-time favorite singer. I live and work now in the desert of the Arabian Emirate Abu Dhabi, and I still enjoy to listen to Barbra Streisand's songs on my drives through the desert of the Arabian Emirates!

About Barbra Streisand's success
It's time to rack up the points on this one because Barbra has done it all. Want proof? How about this for starters: 43 gold albums, 27 platinum albums, 13 multi-platinum albums, 5 gold videos, etc. And this is only her musical career.

She has also broken barriers in the film industry as an actress, director and producer. In 1976, she won six Golden Globes as a producer for A Star is Born and in 1983, she received five Academy Award nominations and took home a couple more Golden Globes for her directorial debut in Yentl.

A whopping total of ten Golden Globe awards received throughout her career are the most achieved by any entertainment artist. Her second effort in the director's chair for The Prince of Tides earned Barbra seven Academy Award nominations along with a coveted nomination from the Director's Guild of America. In January 2000, she was crowned with the Golden Globe's Cecil B. DeMille Award for lifetime achievement. It's safe to assume that Miss Streisand is a go-getter, to say the least. Way to go Barb.

Barbra Streisand has become a timeless classic
Nowadays, Barbra has been keeping busy, alongside her actor/director husband James Brolin (her first marriage was to actor Elliott Gould), with ongoing charity events and special appearances. Her latest musical effort, Christmas Memories, recently hit store shelves just in time for the 2001 holiday season.

She has also announced that she's giving up concert performances for good, in order to have more time to herself, but we're not sure when that "final" performance will be, to the delight of her millions of fans.
on 26 August 2001
How can you not have this in your CD collection? I played this again the other evening for the first time in ages. It's amazing how many memories it brings with each and every track. You will always remember where you were and what you were doing when this album came out.
on 22 March 2001
I was 14 when this album came out and I played it over and over again - it was one of those albums that you could listen to all the way through without skipping to your favourite tracks.
Streisand sounds fantastic and the Gibb collaboration just works beautifully.
I haven't had a turntable for years, and the other day I heard 'Guilty' on the radio and realised I must get the album on CD. Thanks to Amazon, I have done just that!
on 29 September 2011
This has been purchased as a replacement for the original LP which has been played to death. My 26 year old son sums this album up thus : " It's the kind of record that supposedly isn't cool for my generation to listen to, but it's so good it's impossible to ignore." Quality song writing, quality singing, quality playing from some of the best musicians available, a superlative listening experience.
on 25 May 2009
I first heard this when I worked for my dad in his freehouse when I was 18. I heard it every day for quite a long time and I am ever grateful it was in his playlist. I bought it for myself shortly afterwards and enjoyed it especially when I joined the RAF, I remember playing it on bull nights during basic training, as it really got me passionately cleaning and singing! I lost it for a while then found it again and couldn't believe how emotional it got me. I belted out each song word for word, singing as if it were I on that stage but marvelling at how wonderful her voice was and is, as opposed to mine! Would I pay a fortune to see her in concert? As frugal as I am, of course I would! Music doesn't get much better this.
on 23 March 2015
When the Bee Gees came to dominate the late-1970s charts, it soon became very clear that their melodic songs were perfect for some premier female vocalists to sing - witness Olivia Newton-John's "Come On Over", Yvonne Elliman's "Love Me" and "If I Can't Have You" and Samantha Sang's "Emotions" all of which hit big in the States. The idea of pairing a re-invigorated Streisand with Barry Gibb was always likely to be a winner, and so it was to prove. Barry concentrated on this album like it was a full Bee Gees one, and given they were at the peak of their powers, the results are absolutely top-notch. As ever, Barbara is tremendous, and Barry's lush arrangements and layered productions set her voice off wonderfully. The standout "Woman In Love" demonstrates this wonderfully - great melody, faultless performance, and real power and edge on the "it's a right I defend" line. Deservedly, platinum success. Elsewhere, there are many more delights. The two Gibb duets both work brilliantly and were deserved US top 10 hits, too, the closer "Make It Like A Memory" is epic in length and Streisand's power-ballad singing, whilst "Run Wild" is pure flowing beauty. My favourite, though, is the exquisite ballad "The Love Inside" - I am not sure that Barbara has ever sounded so tender and vulnerable in the first verse and chorus, before gradually building to a wonderful climax. This really is a classic. The best ever Barry Gibb production, and the best of Barbara's pop albums. Buy this and "The Broadway Album" from 5 years later and you see why she is such an amazing legend!