Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop Fire Shop Kindle Oasis Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop now

Format: Paperback|Change

on 8 September 2009
This is a really comprehensive book which helped me when I was a fairly new bridge player and which I still find useful many years later. I agree with the "Bridge World" review; it is absolutely packed with information, the equivalent of two or three other books, although in places this makes the style a little dense. There are plenty of good exercises and sample hands (which my bridge teacher used to use at improver level). I've always found the chapters on opening leads particularly useful, making sense of a very difficult and important subject. Highly recommended to players at all levels. The only things that are missing are advice on forming a plan at trick 1, either as declarer or as a defender, and how play strategy might differ between duplicate and rubber/teams bridge, though the last is covered in Klinger's separate book Guide To Better Duplicate Bridge (Master Bridge).
on 23 December 2010
Ron Klinger is one of the world's top bridge teachers and this book will help all who want to improve their card play at Bridge. It covers all the topics that a winning card player needs to know. I use it with my more advanced students, saving me hours of time inventing hands to play. Unlike many bridge books, this one seems to be error free.
on 28 March 2010
This is easily one of the best books I own, it covers a huge range of declarer and defensive technique, from the basics to intermediate play, with lots of good quizes and examples. Covers all the basics really well. I have a spare copy I lend to my partners. Definitely one to have.
on 27 August 2012
Great if you are fairly new to bridge or if you want to consolidate your acol conventions with your partner. It helps mostly with bidding but also gives tips on making extra tricks. This book really goes into great detail about each type of hand and I enjoy the many exercises that come with each chapter to help learn what you have read.
on 1 March 2013
I find it quite hard going.
There is good essential stuff like which cards to lead from which suits and so on.
For those who play Acol, I believe Klinger may be essential reading.
I have switched to SAYC and prefer Audrey Grant.
on 5 May 2016
I agree with all the other reviewers here. This really is an excellent comprehensive text book, suitable for eveyone from second year improvers onwards. I've been playing ten years now and still found it full of useful tips and revision. It's well organised into 32 logical chapters, giving equal weight to declarer play and defence, so it's easy to use as a reference/lookup book. It's also packed with loads of exercises and revision tests (which I must admit I usually skip now) so it would be ideal for a classroom situation.
on 1 June 2013
This is a clearly written and concise book by the best of the card player.............................................Can't say any more just that it is good
on 15 November 2011
Excellent book worth investing in it.

Unable to purchase locally as out of stock so Amazon purchase was indispensable. Recommended.
on 18 June 2014
This is a tip top book for intermediate players who wish to improve their bridge. It is suitable for teachers as well as players.
on 29 March 2014
This book has lots of tips for beginners and helps avoid pitfalls. Starting well at any endeavour saves a lot of unlearning later.