4.7 out of 5 stars1,103
Colour: Polished Stainless Steel|Size: 6 Cup|Change

on 27 July 2010
I bought this cafetiere after breaking yet another glass one. I had been looking for an 'unbreakable' metal one for some time. The jug is very nicely made in good quality stainless steel. It is double sided and keeps the coffee hot for much longer than a glass one does.

A clarification on the size: Initially I bought the '3-cup' version only to discover that it was very small - only enough for one mug of coffee. I was able to return that and got this one to replace it. This '6-cup' version makes 2 decent sized mugs. There is also a 9-cup version which would make 3 mugs.
11 comment|294 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 18 April 2012
This is a really nice cafetiere. I bought it to replace a glass one, which cracked when I looked at it the wrong way. This one looks very strong, and I expect it to last a lot longer. The filter fits snugly into the cylinder, and is effective. I can happily accept that will always be some dregs left in the bottom of my cup, but with this cafetiere there are fewer than with the one it replaced. When filled it will make two decent sized mugs of tasty coffee, but you can half fill it if you want less than that. The double wall keeps the coffee warm. The spout pours nicely, so the coffee ends up in the mug/cup and not over the table. The top can be turned to closed or open positions, which seems like a good idea, though I'm not sure that it's really necessary or if it adds much to the heat retaining properties. I also think that this cafetiere looks much more stylish than the glass one it replaced. So I am very happy with it. Also happy with the prompt delivery from the seller, who advised me vary accurately when the delivery would be made. One gripe. What on earth do they mean by six cups? Certainly not six of my cups! Fortunately I'd read the other reviews before ordering, so knew what to expect. I haven't deducted a star for this, as all manufacturers of cafetieres seem to use the same vague way of advertising the capacity of their products. But why not just tell us that this cafetiere will make 600 ml of coffee, which it does.
on 16 February 2011
This cafetiere will keep coffee lovely & warm for around an hour. I find that six spoonfuls of ground coffee makes the right strength in this eight cup cafetiere and will make four decent sized mugs of coffee.
The only downside is that the one I received was dented and rippled on one side.
on 29 January 2011
Bought this as all the glass ones I have ever bought break within a few months. This is stainless steel and virtually indestructible. Works very well, pours very well (unlike many others I have tried), really very sturdy little thing. This is listed as a 3 cup, but this is three espresso cups so only one big mug, but that's all I want it for, for my morning coffee pick me up. It is stainless steel, but when first put in the dishwasher did stain slightly around the lip, but this has not got any worse and is liveable with, this is the only reason I did not give it five stars. Would definitely buy again, very good value for money.
on 18 February 2011
Looked at lots of other brands. Ruled out glass, also the so called named brands I inspected the plunger was not tight to the edge. This is damn snug, well with everything being metal you can manufacturer it tighter I guess, as the casing can take the force. Zero bits in my coffee, 3 cup is great for 1 person, 6 cup for 2 people etc. Stupidly easy to clean. Looks wise, quality, very fine - no fake metal here. Happy day, oh and coffee tasted smooth as ;-)
on 27 January 2011
Robust, keeps coffee warm, easy to dishwash and most importantly no granules escape - oh and its a very classy design !
Having bought and seen the demise of several glass cafetieres, I thought I should buy a metal one. This one certainly is very solid. It is made of light, high grade steel, with all-welded seams, and chrome plated on the outside. This means that the handle does not fill up with water when washing the pot. The inside of the pot is brushed steel. The lid is a nice solid thing of double-skinned construction to match the pot. The filter plunger, which goes through the lid and down inside the pot, fits snugly, and feels sturdy in use. The pot holds enough to make three cups of coffee (proper little coffee cups, that is).

The lid rotates, so you can close the spout to keep the heat in, or open it to pour the coffee. It is easy enough to use, but you have to peer into the spout to see which way round the lid is. Some kind of indication on the outside of the lid would be handy.

The pot's double skin provides a good deal of insulation, which keeps the coffee hot for much longer than my glass cafetieres ever did. It looks great on the table, and so far has proved easy to clean. I don't put mine in the dishwasher, but I suppose one could without worry. Mine just gets a rinse under the tap, and then a wipe dry.

The cafetiere comes packed in a box. Mine was delivered wrapped in bubble-wrap, and then a jiffy bag, so it reached me in perfect condition.

This cafetiere is easy to use and it won't smash. Excellent!
on 12 January 2012
What it does it does brilliantly. Makes bout 5 mugs, good fine gauze, coffee stays hot for ages, very well built and very very dishwasher proof. Quality cafetiere and top value since it'll last pretty much forever unless I hit it with a sledgehammer.

Only piece of advice is if you can find a bigger version in the same style get it, since you can always half fill it.
on 12 April 2014
Ordered as an alternative to fragile glass cafetiere as used daily. Superb quality EXCEPT for the mesh filter which is flimsy and soon became mishapen and unusable. I requested a replacement filter but unfortunately Amaszon advised this was not possible and I had return the complete item and a new one dispatched. Exactly the same again so I sourced a good quality mesh filter from John Lewis which cost £5. The plunger action is now perfect - it was never this good even when the original filter was brand new. A real shame that Grunwerg don't supply a better mesh filter but problem sorted now. Just a final comment on capacity. The total capacity is 1 litre (35fl ozs). Take into account the coffee and the plunger and it realistically makes 5 cups or 3 standard mugs. Interestingly, John Lewis lists their similar cafetiere and replacement filter size as 5-8 cups which gives a better indication.
on 14 April 2011
I have to say this is a fantastic coffee maker, this is my third or so press pot to purchase and this is by far the best. I've never got one grain of coffee in my cup, very very minimal 'gunge' that you typically get with a press pot. Easy to clean and if you happen to forget you made coffee it will keep it warm for ages, longest i've left it was 2 hours and it was still piping hot. To people saying 'supposed to be 6 cups, makes 2 mugs' i was very aware when i bought this that 3 cups = 1 mug and always is no matter what company you get it off, same as with filter coffee makers "A cup of brewed coffee in the U.S. is typically 6 U.S. fluid ounces (180 mL)." is the definition i found online, so if you want to make 6 mugs i suggest looking for an 18 cup pot :P