Format: Audio CD|Change

on 27 September 2008
I liked this book. Anyone looking for a biography will be disappointed as it is simply a collection of remeinisisances from his colourful past.

It is a little disjointed, but this is catered for in the text and actually says so. Having seen a large number of his shows, this was the book I was waiting for. I found it a very easy and comfortable read, and find it easy to dip back into now and again, something I rarely do with other books. Respect to his co-writer. I look forward to another installment.

For those thinking of possible duplications with his "grumpy" dvd, there arn't any as his DVD has other stories. For more of the same, I would recommend his "Live in 2000" dvd.

Avoid the "Other side of Rick Wakeman" dvd though. Its, shall we be kind here,... Poor.
on 24 August 2008
I'm not a great reader of biography, but I was looking forward to this book as I admire Rick Wakeman both as an amazing musician and as a quirky character. This book is OK, and has a number of of interesting and amusing recollections from Rick Wakeman's career but it is rather rambling and self indulgent. Whilst it gives a sense of some of the bizarre and whacky things that have happened to him in the course of his musical career I was hoping for something a bit more interesting than in depth details of his drinking habits which seemed to feature on every other page... Having said that some of the recollections were so funny that I did laugh out loud and have to read them to my husband. So, if you're a complete Rick Wakeman fan you may enjoy this enough to make forking out the cash worthwhile, but be warned, it is only a collection of stories and not a decent biography.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 17 April 2015
In turns hilarious and poignant, this is more a collection of anecdotes told in no particular order rather than a full flown biography - we hear little about his home life for example. So if you want to know about some of the scrapes and high jinks Mr Wakeman has been involved in over his career this is the book for you. I recommend the audio book as well because to hear these tales in Rick's own inimitable style certainly adds to the fun.
on 24 June 2015
I bought the audiobook as a birthday gift for my dad aka the hardcore classic rock fan in my life. Having read the books myself, I knew my dad would enjoy listening to this (he doesn't get much time to read, but the audiobook would enable him to listen to it in the car to and from work)

This isn't a story about music or YES, this is simply Rick sharing the more interesting aspects of his life and, in a lot of places, his feeling of 'can you believe THAT happened?", from heartattacks at an early age, to becoming a Russian doll. From a piano with only one key, to humping, farting dinosaurs (yes. really.)

So, sit back and let your old friend Rick tell you stories over a pint (it really feels like that). It's worth a listen. You'll laugh, you'll feel perplexed, you'll feel sad. And you will enjoy the ride.
on 27 May 2010
If you enjoy listening to Rick chatting about his experiences as much as you enjoying listening to his music, then this is the book for you. It contains some great stories - some we've all heard, many we haven't, told in his usual relaxed style, with digressions and asides.

There's also some serious commentary in there as well, and I'd actually have liked to have read more about his opinions and experiences in different countries, but perhaps not the best place for them in what is really a very light hearted volume.

It's a quick easy read - shouldn't take more than an hour or so, but excellent. Thoroughly recommended. I should also point out though that if his sense of humour isn't to your taste, or you're looking for some expose of the rock and roll life style, probably not the book for you.
on 16 January 2015
So many absurdities, the biggest of which is Rick himself. That he clearly knows this is what makes it endearing and an utter joy to read, plus he has an extraordinary gift as a comic raconteur. You are left suspecting that even those who his antics have driven to distraction can't help but adore him. Lots of laugh out loud moments, plus some poignant ones too; not least the days he spent with the Grande Dame of Champagne.
on 17 August 2013
I have loved his music since the early '70s. He has always told a good joke or two between songs in his live shows.
(should have been a stand-up comedian)
And now he is letting rip on the things that we all find irritating and annoying in our everyday lives.
Keep 'em coming, Rick!
on 29 November 2008
If you are thinking of buying this because you want to hear ricks life story then your wasting your cash.

This book is a collection of short stories from his life in music from about the age of 14.
The only moan i have is that its a bit short, i did the complete book in two evenings and im not what you would call a fast reader.

But with chaptor titles like "The tin bath tecnique and the small hours hooker" or "i've got che guevara in the shed" its well worth the read. If nothing else you will find a new use for a breeze block and a hotel towel.
on 12 February 2011
Rather than being self indulgent, I think this book takes the micky out of his eccentric life and points fun at himself. It was a great bedtime read and I cant wait to read his further adventures.
on 14 February 2009
Don't buy this expecting a "serious" biography/autobiography. The book well reflects Rick's 'chatty' tv persona and will prove a good laugh for fans and non-fans alike. It seems to be Rick's way of telling us how it feels to have led a rather charmed life ever since he hit the big time with Yes in the 1970s. He doesn't dwell on any low times, preferring to remember all the funny bits (and there are plenty in the book). Go on, buy it to cheer yourself up and let your partner/friends in on the act too.