on 23 November 2010
It is definately worth buying the 16in toy. I bought the smaller one first but it was too small, this is a perfect size for my kids and looks more like the gruffalo should.
VINE VOICEon 13 January 2011
I bought this for my 2 year old niece as a Christmas present, she (along with her 2 older sisters) is a huge fan of the Gruffalo and they all constantly watch the dvd and read the book (or more accurately have it read to them, although they do know it word for word).

The book description of a Gruffalo is
"...who is this creature with terrible claws
and terrible teeth in his terrible jaws?
he has knobbly knees and turned out toes
and a poisonous wart at the end of his nose.
His eyes are orange, his tongue is black,
he has purple prickles all over his back"

and this is perfectly represented in this soft toy. They have somehow managed to make a potentially scary creature quite cute.

What I particularly liked about the toy is how soft it is (even the prickles down his back are soft), it is perfectly huggable and my niece now takes this to bed with her every night. I was concerned that if waking during the night it might scare her but this doesn't appear to have been the case so far.

Although this is advertised as 16 inches, if buying it you need to know that the toy is 16 inches end to end, this is not the height that it is when sat down, when it is closer to 11-12 inches.

After having this toy for 3 weeks, my main thought is "I wish I'd bought 3 of them" so that my nieces could have one each.
on 1 October 2010
this is lovely, I bought it for my grandson as a present when his new brother was born. He loves the story, and saw a gruffalo in a shop when we were out waiting for his new brother to arrive, but saved money buying it from Amazon. Gruffalo now goes everywhere with my boy, and sits watching him in bed while he is asleep. He is no monster though, you can't help but love him!
on 10 December 2010
My daughter loves this to bits, but within the first day, the stitching started to come off and the "stuffing" is coming out. I just hope the replacement is better made.
on 13 December 2011
As amazon don't seem to have taken my comments on board - please be aware if you are looking to buy this that it is only 12 inches in height. When it says 16 inch toy this is misleading as it means "if this toy could stand up it would be 16 inches tall". It is a seated figure and cannot be stood up. I was disappointed with this and asked amazon to update their description but this has not happened yet. Had I known it was only 12 inches I would have had no complaints at all! Otherwise it is a perfectly good cuddly toy but the poor description left a bad taste in my mouth.
on 1 September 2011
I am bitterly disappointed with this Gruffalo that arrived this morning. When it says 16" sitting, that is what I expect. Sadly this was not so. He is 11" sitting and his legs which do not move ( not jointed ) are 4-5 " long. If you state that he is 16" sitting , then that is what he should be from his bottom to the top of his head.

I feel that someone has been economical with the truth.
on 3 December 2010
My 3 year old loves this toy as she's been a big Gruffalo fan since her 2nd birthday. Its beautifully made and was £9 cheaper than in Debenhams!
on 8 January 2013
i brought this 16" gruffalo for my son as it was the cheapest i found and didnt really know what to expect as it was under £14 was amazed when it arrived quicker than stated and when i saw how good it was my son istanly took it to nursery and loved it !!happy son happy mommy :)
on 27 July 2013
Well it's the Gruffalo so how could it go wrong?! A lovely cuddly toy, really looks like the book character, my 2 year old loves holding while having the book read to her and then drags him around the house with her. A firm favourite.
on 6 October 2011
My two year old was thrilled when he received his Gruffalo. He wanders round the house taking him into every room he goes. In terms of quality, it seems well made; there is nothing on it that small hands can easily pull apart!

It contains all the details that you would expect a Gruffalo to have (orange eyes, purple prickles etc etc) making it a good representation from the books.

In terms of size, I am glad I opted for this one rather than a smaller one; it is just the right size for small people to take to bed and cuddle! I have seen a few reviews of this and other sizes being very negative saying how 'misleading' the description of size is because the Gruffalo is sitting down. I chose to ignore them and was glad I did!

See one answered question