Format: Audio CD|Change

on 25 October 2009
Even my little kids know some of the pieces on this CD, so you've no excuse! Morning and In The Hall Of The Mountain King are two of the most famous pieces of classical music ever written, and these two alone are worth the price of the CD. Thankfully, the rest of it is excellent too.

Unknown to a surprisingly large number of people, the other six pieces in the two Peer Gynt suites are superb. There is a good range of music, from sad, mournful bits, to joyous happy bits, these suites take your emotions everywhere (hey, this is getting a bit pretentious, better fix that).

Also on the CD are Holberg Suite, which I had never heard before I bought the CD, but have heard many times since! Every bit as good as Peer Gynt, these are cracking bits of music, and will appeal to a very wide range of people.

Rounding off the CD are three orchestral pieces, which despite the rather boring name are actually brilliant pieces of music.

So, not a single mediocre piece on the whole CD. I can happily play this CD several times without getting bored. In case you think that means I'm boring, then let me tell you that I'm actually quite exciting sometimes! Just ask me to show you my unrivalled collection of pieces of string, and you'll see how interesting I really am ;-)

OK, so even if you don't own a collection of pieces of string, you'll still like this CD. Go on, take my word for it, you won't be sorry (but don't blame me if you are, I have no idea what music you like!)
33 comments| 55 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 June 2009
Sublime music beautifully played and an exemplary recording - this is THE definitive Peer Gynt CD. It's also the cheapest form of stress management you'll find! I urge you to buy.....
on 6 April 2013
I remember hearing this first as a child at my secondary school. Grieg is clearly a musical heavyweight and this version was not a dissapointment.

The difference between 19th and 20th Century becomes apparent here and the work needs to be viewed in that light.
This is one of the finest recordings of both the Peer Gynt suites 1 & 2 and The Holberg Suite. In addition there is the three pieces for orchestra in the form of Sigurd Josalfar.
All of the recordings have appeared on different releases before but this is an excellent choice of compilation. The recordings are both analogue and digital in origin and range from 1972 to 1982. The sound and balance are of good standard and still stand up as good recordings today.
The wonderful "morning mood" gets things going and takes us through some of the most exciting of classical compositions to the "hall of the mountain king" which will be familiar to most people in the opening suite one of Peer Gynt.
It is a classic recording and the performance is bright and tight from Herbert Von Karajan and the Berlin Philharmonic. This release is an excellent version of these magical pieces and the recordings are collector pieces.
on 22 June 2014
Usually I buy a classical album because of one piece that I like and find that actually that is the ONLY piece I like. Not so with this album, love it, all the way through and the recording itself is good quality.
on 9 October 2012
i really like this version,it is quite an old recording,but of good quality. we have recently returned from Norway,where we visited Grieg's house and heard a piano recital,the record brought back happy memories
on 24 May 2012
I opened this up and played it on a really basic CD player. Even this piece of equipment could not take away the outstanding orchestral work under Herbert von Karajan and the Berlin Philharmonic which has been excellently remastered. Most people are familiar with the music itself which is gentle and delightful and pure joy.
on 15 July 2014
A lovely disc - takes me back to "Music and Movement" in my junior school c1972!
on 9 January 2011
I bought this because I wanted to listen to the music that my parents had on record and my sister and I used to imagine stories and dance and act them out to. It provided the perfect soundtrack to a child's playful imagination.
Decades later it still does. It makes wonderful listening. I find myself transported to faraway lands of my imagination.
I am no expert on classical music and cannot comment on the recording from a technical perspective.
on 24 July 2011
I purchased this C.D. for one piece of music, but I'm delighted to discover many other tunes that are very emotive on the album. Really pleased with this product.