on 26 August 2010
Another great surf book from Tom. Once again couldn't put it down. Great reading for surfers and non surfers alike. Being one who has surfed for years, but can never find time to go, the book really made me want to chuck the board in the van, forget work for the forseeable future and head off down the M4 to West Wales. One thing though Tom... were you surfing or 'Tripping' in C.diff?
on 21 June 2012
A gripping read for the avid or armchair surfer, but also makes the transition to world class travel writing very well. A great writer and can't wait for his future work!
on 24 November 2011
A fabulous book with anecdotes, surfing stories and surfy feelings that anyone who has ever strapped a board to their roof will instantly recognise and relate to. Buy it, read it and "be there" even if you're in surfing exile!
on 7 August 2010
Another great read from Tom Anderson, like "Riding the MAgic Carpet" and "Chasing Dean", I found myself having to ration the amount of pages that I could read in one sittting. However I did not have the sufficient willpower and basically devoured the book from cover to cover in less than 24 hours, it was just too hard to put down!
Anderson brings the reader with him on a surfing journey throughout GB and Ireland, and made me want to drop everything and hop in my van and copy his trips! Highly recommend this book, the only negative regarding it would be that it is too short!
on 14 August 2013
Anderson is a enthusiastic amateur surfer who in this book is discovering and re-discovering the best spots to surf in the UK, and Ireland. He journey for surfing nirvana takes him from the Outer Hebrides, Cornwall, his home patch of Porthcawl, a remote north Wales spot and on the far west coast of Ireland.

It is much a journey of discovery for him to see what the UK has to offer surfers who have been spoilt by overseas waves, as well as a record of memorable surfing days. He writes with eloquence and clarity, and makes the subject accessible and fascinating for non surfers.
on 12 July 2010
I am not a surfer but having bought the book for my nephew who is, I started reading about this strange other
life that Tom and his ilk lead. It absolutely held me, especially the bit about the Severn Bore. It is an easy
to read book, a life enhancing book that captures the freedom and adventure of youth. I loved it
on 6 June 2013
For those that endure the cold-weather travels of England there are spots and stories you can relate to. A good companion for the back of the car as you wait for the swell to arrive while the rain pours down.
on 19 April 2011
Tom Anderson is a good writer, and this is a very good read for surfers. He's not quite up there with my personal favourite, Andy Martin (check out Walking on Water), but Anderson is only a notch or two down.

This is the second book of his that I've read, and it was cool to see stories about surf spots I know well - personally I could do without the cod-psychology 'getting-my-stoke-back' that the hangs the tale on, and would prefer it if he'd look to culture or history to beef up the narrative a bit (like Martin). But really he doesn't need to beef it up at all, the stories of surf search and adventure work beautifully on their own.
on 13 February 2012
A family member is a real lover of surfing and this book looked just the thing for her. It is great condition and arrived in good time. Thank you.
on 8 January 2013
I don't often read surf mags, let alone surf books, so don't know why I bought this - perhaps it was the catchy title, but I'm very glad I did. This is both entertaining, and in parts gripping and inspiring (and nice to know first hand a few of the spots he refers to). As a writer myself I couldn't begin to describe the feelings and emotions of being in the water - Tom Anderson deserves a lot of credit for his writing style as he manages to do this with natural ease and self deprecating humour.
A cracking read.