on 6 May 1999
I bought this book thinking it would be an insider's view of the 1994 Senate campaign in California, when Mike Huffington, Arianna's ex-husband, committed $26 million of his own millionaire money to try to defeat incumbent Dianne Fienstein. Huffington lost and his political career has gone nowhere since. Not only that, but he has come out of the closet and declared himself openly gay. And recently he admitted to a journalist that he was not the conservative he made himself (she -- Arianna -- made himself?) out to be, but was actually a liberal. I'd like to get the view from that bedroom! But instead this book is a tepid collection of tongue-in-cheek dull satire. One of these days Arianna Huffington, who is a good writer and is capable of being quite thoughtful, will tell us what it was like to stage-manage a gay liberal's campaign for senate on the Republican ticket. Well, maybe she won't tell us. But I, for one, would love to hear that story, and I'm sorry I bought the wrong book.
on 24 December 1998
In her countless appearances on the msnbc and cnbc babble shows, Huffington usually comes across as a thick-accented foriegner with a simple-minded sense of humor and a deluded sense of patriotism. But in her book "tales from the Lincoln Bedroom", Huffington displays a surprising knack for sophisticated satire and her observations of the current political scene are telling. It is hard to believe that this thick-accented, English-as-a-second-language foriegner could have written such a clever piece of non-fiction on her own. The passages in which she makes fun of the physical appearance of administration members Robert Riech, Donna Shalala and Janet Reno are especially amusing. To add a sense of balance to the book, it would have been advisable to make fun of how she, herself, drove her ex-husband to homosexuality. But on the whole, I must say, Bravo, Arianna!
on 6 September 1998
I'm Arianna's biggest fan. She has an acerbic wit and I couldn't put the book down. I'd recommend this book to anyone who wants to read some humorous revelations about politics. I enjoy Arianna because she speaks her mind and isn't afraid to tell it like it is.
on 3 September 1998
This book is amazing. I didn't know you could get away with saying some of that stuff. Satire is a great way of telling the truth, and this work of fiction condenses the truth of the Clinton administration into a single volume. Bravo!
on 24 June 1998
I was pleasantly surprised to find a book that really had a totally new perspective about Clinton and politics. It was genueinly funny, in a new way. It kept me laughing even when the topic was rather serious. It was a real roast.