Format: Paperback|Change

on 27 July 2008
This is a tale of love, redemption, bereavement and a journey of self-discovery. It covers Muslim and Christian religions and how their differences can affect relationships between Westerners and Muslims. It's a book that has its fill of sorrow but yet retains a strong sense of hope. With this novel Wadham has written a topical tale, but done so in a very sensitive style. Her writing is beautifully descriptive and kept me glued to the pages.
on 2 October 2007
For those readers who find most contemporary literary fiction high on polish but low on passion, this terrific novel will come as a welcome shot in the arm.

Traversing Portugal, Paris and Morocco, it's a brave book from a writer unafraid to take risks. At its heart lies a collision between bourgeois Westerner and devout Muslim, something that all too easily could feel forced or deliberately 'topical'. That isn't the case, however, as Wadham invests each of her characters with real humanity and individuality. They may not always be likeable, but they're always interesting.

Like the reviewer above, I too am mildly puzzled by Wadham's relatively low profile. If 'The Long Tail' is to be believed, I'm sure it won't last forever as she's simply too enjoyable a writer to remain a secret for much longer.
on 30 July 2007
I have now read all of Lucy Wadham's books, and I can't quite understand why she isn't getting greater attention from the literay press. I read Greater Love - and fiction isn't really my thing - and I couldn't help but thinking that here is a writer with yet another book of tremendous quality, engaging themes, sensory and sensitive writing. One day Lucy Wadham is going to be very big indeed, and like Andrea Levy with Small Island, people will be rushing not only to read her latest novel, but gobbling up her back list. I'd love her to turn her attention to England in her next novel, although the dark underworlds she is so at home in are what first caught my attention.
on 17 October 2009
At the start of this book I couldn't get a handle on it, but because of the writer's wonderful prosaic style, I persevered. I am really glad that I did. It changed my whole perspective on the Isalm religion, and about what it is like to be on the receiving end of sectarianism. Full marks to Karen for being able to bring everything to life, I was there with her through the trauma of her brother's death, through her journey over the mountains. I highly recommend this book.
on 11 July 2007
Lucy Wadham seems to find a way of inviting the reader to make their own mind up about a character, an episode a relationship a scenario... no meanings are fixed ... this of course creates a challenge as there is an absence of sentimentality which i this 'spoon fed' paradigm is welcome..i like how 'smell' matters to her as an author..this creates a richness to the world we enter in greater love and it seems to be a feature of her writing which i really enjoy...she seems to have a way of describing a scene without too many unnecessary descriptions of the local wildlife which again is a relief!

so this is in my view is a female british author doing what american male writers have been championed for....lets celebrate a fresh talent ....
on 11 July 2007
This book was incredibly sad and yet full of hope - a spiritual epic - for me its film equivalent would proabably be 'Babel' and its musical equivalent would be Elbow or Faure's Requiem. Brilliantly written.