Format: Hardcover|Change

on 2 October 2014
Works great together with the previous book by Jerry Brotton (A History of the World in Twelve Maps). Great Maps is about pictures, it is much more accessible and easy to read, naturally it does not go so deep, History of the World in Twelve Maps goes deeper but it is harder to read it.
on 23 January 2015
I really enjoyed this book. Perhaps helped by the fact that some of the maps are of areas I know. There is though plenty of interest for those who know a lot about cartography to those who know very little.
on 25 January 2015
Bought a a gift for a knowledgeable person who has read a lot of history books. He thought it was great. It has a selection of maps that link to periods of time in history. Pictorially nice to look at too.
on 3 February 2015
This is the kind of book that reminds you that e-readers will never truly destroy the need for printed reading material. It's a beautiful and lavishly put together book, a joy for map lovers everywhere.
on 27 December 2014
This is great selection of maps to enjoy and study. Has appeal for all map fans, and beautifully produced with large photos and then some focal points to understand on each map. Highly recommended.
on 4 March 2015
If I were to walk the Earth, I'd like to think I'd use this book, "Great Maps," as a guide. In each new place, I'd like to look and see and smell all of it, then compare how historical mapmakers thought it might be, or how it used to be back then.

I love maps and am confident I know my state well due to years of staring at a large gas station premium map I had as a kid. Here, in "Great Maps," I see more than the confines of the state I call home, but the world.

The Earth cannot be walked, so all of those dreams are hindered. What I can still do is imagine what mapmakers believed. What they believed was based on the science of the time, their religious and cultural understanding of themselves and the world, and often, bad data.

Looking back, it is a wonder to me any sailor ever traveled to there, and back again. Regions are distorted, islands are missing, and entire continents aren't as we know them. The cartographers did their best, and with each new map came new travels and discoveries.

The structure of each map's entry is constant. We see an overview of the map, and related discussion. We see an icon of a man next to the map to allow us to see its relative size, as well as the exact dimensions. I had no idea how big the originals were. We learn something about the cartographer, how and why the map matters, and a "visual tour" -- close-ups with explanations.

Unfortunately, the close-ups are a weak point. Some seem digitally rendered at a low resolution, leaving them appear blurry or jaggy.

The book finishes with a nice nod to Google Earth. It may lack the artistic beauty of ones from the 1500s, but it has satellite imaging as its strength. We see the real Earth in all its fullness, without the biases and limitations of a cartographer. Apparently, Google Earth's data equals 10 petabytes.

A worthy addition to your living room coffee table, you and guests will linger over this for hours.

--Brockeim
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 12 November 2015
A visual extravaganza, more for browsing than reading, this is a selection of maps from ancient times to the present day. Each has a short introductory blurb, then a couple of pages of close-ups of details, with explanatory notes.
Medieval 'mappa mundi'; Ptomeny's amazingly recognisable map (150 CE) and others that are totally alien. More recent samples are that of the London Underground, Booth's map showing poverty in London and Arno Peters' 1973 attempt to design a world map to promote social equality (arguing that current maps showed developing nations to be smaller than they were.)
I found this a fascinating and informative browse.
on 21 December 2014
I bought this as a Christmas gift for my mum and I have so say it looks very premium and is perfect for a gift. Having a flick through it is also very informative with a good range of different maps.
on 29 February 2016
So good I bought it twice (by mistake!). I found the way it was structured particularly helpful as a guide to the development of cartography, whilst being a beautiful book in its own right. I suggest looking at Curious Maps as well, more expensive but has pull out maps that will fascinate young and old alike. A great combination for any birthday or Christmas. A little different, but an exciting entry into a new area of study that takes you around the world from the comfort of your own sofa, and opens you up to collecting maps which are readily available through amazon and the net and make anything from marvellous artwork, easily mounted, to wallpaper for a hallway or study of surprising elegance that has the wow factor. A set of olde maps of London made a terrific frieze in one of our rooms whilst some of the fantasy maps from the 19th century made a stunning feature as a single wall in a bedroom. This and Vargics Miscellany will encourage your imagination and the next thing will be star charts, telescopes and globes and you will be sitting in the captains cabin of a pirate ship in the Caribbean or the star ship of a space fleet of the 30th century. Next is drawing your own maps and this can be done professional using CCG's software at very little cost for stunning poster art. Two books and a Universe of inspiration from world exploration to modern and medieval interior design
on 1 September 2014
A scholarly and lavish survey of maps and map-making over the centuries which is hugely informative as well as a delight to look at