Almost 80 per cent of households have Slow Cookers. In the past ten years, they have become a revolution. There are many cookbooks out there with slow cooker recipes, and I have most of them. I saw the authors, Bruce Weinstein and Mark Scarbrough on a television program discussing this cookbook. Their discussion of why they wrote the cookbook interested me. First of all, the cookbook has a definitive edge. Each recipe has a list of ingredients on the left, easy to read, to check if you have everything, then the size of the cooker used, from 2 qt all the way up to 8 qts. This gives you the amount of each ingredient you need. This could be the most innovative part of the cookbook.

The cookbook is set up with an Introduction, why you should use a slow cooker, solving some problems, the herbs and spices you need, do not use too much salt, how the authors came to write this cookbook, and, finally, what we can do to make this cookbook work the best for us. All ingredients are found at a regular grocery store. There are 500 everyday recipes, for every size machine. There are seven chapters, Breakfast, Soups, Meat, Poultry, Fish and Shellfish, Vegetable and Side Dishes, Desserts and Party Drinks. There are pictures of some of the found found in the middle of the book. I think this would have been a five star book if pictures accompanied each recipe.

I made the corn chowder as my first recipe, and within three hours I had a delicious dinner. You can blend or purée the soup, but I preferred to leave it chunky. With crusty bread this was such a satisfying meal. My next recipe was the Overnight Oatmeal. You put everything together in the slow cooker, water, milk, maple syrup, steel cut oats and salt. Put it on slow for six hours, and it will keep warm for three hours. The oats are tender and creamy, and with a little milk this is one of my favorite breakfasts. I am making the spicy scalloped potatoes today to go along with my favorite meatloaf. And, tomorrow I am going to make the Sourcream Brownie Cake for my friends.

This is a very comprehensive cookbook. The authors offer tips and shortcuts that they came across while testing these recipes. There are suggestions on how to clean leeks and chickens, and what to serve with some of the recipes. Using a slow cooker can be a wonderful experience, it is inexpensive, so convenient for all of us, and the food can be delicious. This cookbook serves as a know how.

Recommended. prisrob 01-10-14