4.3 out of 5 stars2,399

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 2 May 2012
I haven't read anything by Alan McDermott before and if this is his first crack at writing, then bring on the rest! It's a fast paced thriller with an intricate plot, carefully brought together as the story moves to the finishing post. There are plenty of twists and turns and the main character is a carefully thought out individual whose actions and motivations are totally plausible. He has suffered exceptional personal loss and we explore the effect this has on him. Is he seeking justice or revenge and retribution.

In crafting this tale, Mr McDermott raises a number of important issues about our British 'justice' system. We are asked to consider the extent to which it's fair to the victims and the scenario are all ones which the ordinary reader will be ble to relate to. Differences in treatment between terrorism and criminal acts are also highlighted; an issue which many seem to overlook. I loved the action scenes which were very fast paced, with a level of technical detail which s a lay person I must assume is authentic. It reads like a movie in places; good guys, bad guys, hostages, police, security services, SAS, it's got it all. Really enjoyed it, read it in a couple of sittings and will be buying the next in the series very soon. Thanks for a terrific read Mr McDermott.
0Comment|167 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 March 2013
At first you could be forgiven for second guessing how the plot might go; an ex-SAS soldier seeking revenge for the unlawful death of his son and subsequent suicide of his wife. Cue ex-SAS guy blasting away with a semi-automatic rifle, car chases, fist fights, killing all the bad guys but ultimately coming out a hero. Well, Gray Justice doesn't quite go like that, it tackles the need for revenge in a rather unique way.

Gray Justice is a fast paced, action packed thriller. Yes, there was a shoot-em-up gun battle, explosions and death, but it wasn't over-done and it was perfectly fitting of the plot. The premise of Gray's revenge was very thought provoking and it did make me stop and think. Without giving anything away, the method Gray uses to decide what justice to dish out is something that could prompt a healthy debate over a pint or two.

The ending wasn't exactly what I was expecting and leaves the door open to the sequels which I shall definitely be reading.
on 18 October 2012
Downloaded this book as it was free, though I would have bought it based on preview. A fast paced thriller, really different plot from usual storylines. Read it in one siting until 4am, because I could not wait to see what would happen next. Definately worth a read, have downloaded the follow up Gray Resurrection for later.
on 8 August 2013
I really enjoyed this book and I will definitely read the next one. The characters are mostly well drawn and there has clearly been a great deal of research involved to make sure the book is technically accurate. It is also well written, particularly with so many threads to draw together.
However, the problem arises from the sheer weight of ideas crammed into the story. While for the most part it does not effect the story or the readers enjoyment, the constant guessing as to whether this is meant to be a social commentary on terrorism, crime, government policies, the media, is never really clear. I also found myself a little overwhelmed by the number of cliche characters that pop up; SAS veteran, ditzy blonde out of her depth, obnoxious politician, etc.
Overall, a little bit thriller-by-numbers, but enjoyable, quick and fun all the same, and considering it is free, well worth a read.
on 26 November 2012
I purchased this book because I found the idea fascinating and when I started to read it I found it very difficult to put down. Having finished it, it's not the best book I've ever read and it's far from being the most well written, but the concept has been crossing my mind frequently in the week or so since I read the last page.

Tom Gray's child was killed by a uninsured, unlicensed driver with a string of convictions and who shows no remorse for his actions. He walks free from court in a scenario that is all too easily believable in this day and age where I know a lot of people have lost faith in the 'justice' system. I think that's where the magic of the book lies - it's hard not to imagine what you would do in that scenario. All of us know someone that's been let down in one way or another by what we consider to be a lenient sentence handed down from a court of law. I can't have been the only person reading this that was secretly cheering inside for Mr Gray.

I also found the social aspect of it very thought-provoking. It reminded me of that series of films that were on TV last year. I can't remember what they were called but they disturbed me in the same way - that pressure from social media and free speech that forced characters into often grotesque and inhumane situations (prime minister and pig?). This book disturbed me because it skimmed the surface of topics such as whether or not the public would vote for corporal punishment if we were given such a voice and how those voices can be manipulated by the government/media so easily.

I was sorely tempted to give this book 4* but in all honesty, as some other reviewers have mentioned, I found the terrorist aspect of it very contrived. I appreciate that the author needed some way to (quite literally) blow the story wide open, but there must have been some more realistic way of doing it.

The ending is absolute sterling though - I totally didn't expect the twist, even after all the discussions with the Home Secretary. Very clever.
33 comments|101 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 November 2012
This is a well crafted thriller that explores, then takes a sharp knife to some of the ills that plague modern society. It is a complex and well planned story that weaves gracefully throughout, until converging in a cleverly executed ending.
An original and thought provoking read that would stand alongside some of the best thrillers.
on 30 July 2012
Other than to say this book deserves its high rating. An interesting plot with twists and turns which surprise the reader. I did find the ending a little confusing but I dare say that will be remedied by reading the sequel.
on 28 June 2013
Good idea: testing the power of mob rule by mouse click - but even with the bangs, yelling and mayhem this book lacked passion and true excitement. It was nothing more than an interesting concept played out with shooting and running amok.

The author is a poor writer - he is unable to write believable dialogue - all the sentences coming out of the characters' mouths had no authenticity or ring of truth. Thus the terrorist leader was made to sound like an Oxford Don - and he sounded like everyone else.

And the ending is rubbish.

A poor read.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 14 March 2013
At the beginning this book gives the impression of being just another story of seeking after justice. I'm not sure what I expected but I definitely didn't expect what we got here. In some ways the storyline stretches credulity a very long way, but then again, read any tabloid newspaper, especially after a tragic incident, and suddenly the boundaries of credibility are redrawn. One man's search for justice draws in the whole nation, as he makes it clear that those who do not participate pro-actively are still participating albeit passively. No-one can sit on the fence in this man's mission. There is a parallel storyline, someone wants to hijack this search for justice for their own ends - could it happen - very possibly.
I found myself intrigued by the genius of the protagonist whilst at the same time appalled at his twisted and reactionary logic. This book may well, (and should) cause you to examine your values and your sense of justice. On the surface it may make you think "good for him" but then you really do have to consider whether his ends justify his means.
Having said all of that, there is an wry surprise toward the end, followed by a unexpected twist in the very last chapter.
on 3 August 2013
Poorly written, with a badly thought out and unbelievable plot, two dimensional characters, scanty research, gratuitous violence and an unhealthy dose of machismo allied with racist and sexist stereotypes; this book would be laughable if it wasn't so unpleasant. No redeeming features really.