on 17 October 2013
I was surprise how much I got caught up in this book - the main characters were pretty cool and funny and the issues they go through trying to work out what exactly they're feeling were really well done. The behind-the-scenes celebrity stuff seemed VERY real - loved that glimpse into Hollywood... makes you wonder exactly what does go on!
on 17 October 2013
I loved Payton and Kendall from page one - lots of sparky one-liners and really nice girls under all the designer dresses and Hollywood fabulousness! And I thought the issues with them working through how they felt about each other - and the pressures of fame were done really well! A great read.
on 14 April 2015
This book is fantastic and put me in a really good mood. These two girls are so funny, especially Kendall. I don't know why Kristen made her funnier but she had me throwing my head back laughing, roaring laughing even.
"Hell no, I would rather stab myself in the eye with a fork" OR "I'm gonna do this like a BOSS!" - Brilliant. This book is littered with insanely funny one liners that had me in bits laughing. I had many people staring at me on the bus while reading this. They thought I was pure nuts.

SPOILER ALERT!
I thought some parts of this book were a bit rushed though. I have a feeling I know why though so I still enjoyed it. But part of me really wanted the two of them to slow the hell down. I waited for more then half the book to see them getting together in a really nice intimate moment but they ended up ripping each others clothes off and it was all over within 10 lines. I do understand that some sex scenes can go over the top and be a little too detailed but I was expecting something with at least SOME detail. Though on the other side it was realistic, women have a tendency to be a bit wild lol. I have read so many lesbian romance novels now at this stage so I can see how repetitive sex scenes can get.

The end was predictable but very it was very sweet but again I felt it was rushed a bit. it kind if reminded me of how the ending for Frozen ended. I wanted them both to talk about things but it was just over then. I was happy for them both but still. The best part of this book for me was certainly every part up until they actually get together, which is most of the book. The things that go on inside their heads are priceless. Some of the lines in this book I swear the author had stolen directly from my own story lol. There are so many lines in this book that I always use. This was really good and it had me gasping a lot.

I would recommend this book to anyone really. Its fab.
on 25 January 2015
FourStars
The Gravity Between Us seems like a typical fluff book on paper. Rich, famous actress and the girl back home (who's super talented and hot!). Right? But this book is unique and tons of fun.

Kendall Bettencourt is a down-to-earth-but-not-frumpy starlet who should be reminding you of other starlets, especially ones who've made it big in indie and young adult movies. Ahem.

Payton Taylor is her childhood best friend, but she's neither secretly in love with Kendall nor a sniveling hanger-on offered up for contrast. She's a thriving, interesting person with her own stuff going on, and she and Kendall have a strong, mature relationship outside of their attraction.

In fact, it's hard to believe these characters are 18 or 19 years old. They're wise beyond their years.

But this is not a serious book. It's FUN, like I said. Solid writing that doesn't tax the reader too much, good chemistry, unbelievable situations that I want to believe in because they're so outlandishly pleasing. Yes, everything goes right for our leading ladies, but for once, they seem to have earned it fair and square by being good people. Sometimes hard to find, especially with young protagonists.

This isn't a book to read if you're looking for sex. It's not really there. But if you want some escapism, and some hopefulness--this takes place in a world where gay discrimination in Hollywood is quickly losing grip--then this is going to be a great read.
I was given this in return for an honest review by Inked Rainbow Reads.
C.E. Case

FourStars
This book is a great story of love and finding oneself. It surpasses complications and issues multiple times that are thrown at the characters, and they always find the strength to pull through. It took me a few pages to get into the story, but once I got beyond the first few pages I couldn’t put it down for most of the book.

There were a few places where this book seemed to drag. It’s really not until the last 40% of the book that the two main characters really make progress in their relationship. My biggest issue with this book is that it’s very anti-bisexual. It’s set up almost perfectly for Kendall to be bisexual, yet she wants to be anything but bi because being bi is being a “sometimes lesbian” like Lauren is.

As a bisexual woman myself, I found it rather offensive and distasteful. Kendall could have easily be lesbian without dissing or putting down another skittle in the rainbow. She could have even questioned whether or not she herself were bi before discovering she wasn’t. This issue definitely made my rating drop as it was a thread throughout most of the second part of the book.

Payton was a character I could deeply relate to. She was down to earth and had a great sense of humor. Definitely laughed multiple times at her internal monologue. These characters read as if they’re in their early twenties based on actions, although there’s also an immaturity in them when it comes to relationships. I had a hard time thinking of them as only nineteen.

Overall, this was a good read. It explored issues I think many LGBT et al persons experience, whether or not we have gobs of money. It’s a book that explores what it means to come to terms with our own sexuality.

I was given this in return for an honest review by Inked Rainbow Reads.

4 stars

AJ
on 28 December 2014
I've read a lot of books within this genre. This one is by far and so far, my ultimate favourite. The characters are adorable, best friends, it's written in both of their POVS and it is this that makes the novel even more wonderful! It's an endearing story of a raw kind of love, you don't know if these characters will end up together but by god you wish it wi every fibre of your being. The supporting characters are lovely too. The admiration I had for both main characters was overwhelming, they are both very different, one sweet and shy, the other loud and the apple of the medias eye. One famous one an everyday girl. Both beautiful and the sheer love these two people have for each other is just indescribable, it is a rare thing that an author can convey such a bond. Of true friendship and the kindling of something much much more, of true young first and forever loves. You want these characters to figure out the depths of their love for the other and moreover you want them to have the courage to fight for the other. Despite the fact they are the very best if friend, and an attraction is developed as a reader of course I wanted them to fall in love and be together. But Zimmer is realistic in her storytelling, life rarely gives us the opportunity for true love and when it does we either don't notice it. Or external things stop us from getting what we want. The question, the most frustrating question is: will these two wonderful people end up as a couple. Do read this book, if you love a good romance, coming out, with charismatic beautiful characters. Then Zimmer's book is for you as much as it was for me.
on 29 April 2014
I didn't finish this book, and stopped reading at 41%, so I don't know how much weight you want to put in a review of a book that wasn't completed, but I wasn't enjoying it at all.

The two characters, Kendall and Payton are 19, yet they are so juvenile most of the time in the way they think, I just couldn't warm to them. This is generally, as well as about/with each other. They could both be a bit melodramatic. I started off rolling my eyes, but it became frustrated thoughts of, "Oh, for god's sake!" I really didn't like them.

You don't necessarily need to like the characters to enjoy a story, but this wasn't the only problem I had with the book. The plot didn't hook me, and there were multiple scenes that felt completely unnecessary. The writing felt kind of clunky in several places. And that's still not all.

The love story just didn't work for me. These two girls have been best friends for years, and then all of a sudden they're in love. Literally, everything is normal, and then within the space of minutes, Payton is in love with Kendall. Just like that. And as soon as Payton comes out to Kendall, her own feelings start to change. Granted, she takes her time coming to terms accepting what she feels, but the change happens super quick. It just wasn't realistic, so I couldn't believe it as I was reading on - and that along with the melodrama, it was just too much. Reading it became such a chore, and I knew, if I didn't stop, it would be good few days before I finished it, because I simply didn't want to read it.

Really not for me. However, there are people who have loved it, so do read some other reviews before making a decision on whether to read it or not yourself.
I bought and read this book on a whim after seeing it on Amazon. I'd never heard of it before and knew nothing about it apart from the fact it had a plethora of five-star reviews and was a New Adult book. Picture my surprise when I started reading it and got completely and utterly sucked in within the first few pages. It's *so* good and consumed me until I'd finished it!

Kristen Zimmer has a fantastic voice, one of the best I've read recently. The Gravity Between Us is narrated from both Kendall's and Payton's point of view and not once do they merge into one. Each character is different and easy to distinguish, making this book one of the best when it comes to dual narrative. I can't even choose a favourite between Kendall and Payton - I love them both!

Kendall is a famous young movie star at the height of her career and Payton has always been her best friend. When Payton moves to LA to live with Kendall, Payton has to face facts: she's always thought of Kendall as more than a friend, but does she feel the same? What follows is an honest, sometimes heartbreaking, account of Payton's life as a gay woman. She comes out, she starts to explore dating women and faces scrutiny and judgement for her decisions. It's an eye-opening look at what the LGBT community go through and how they're treated just because of their sexual orientation, and Zimmer has done a great job of portraying that.

The Gravity Between Us is one of the only books I've ever read that features a lesbian couple. What I want to know is WHY. Why are there not more YA and NA books about female same-sex couples? I know there are a few that I've heard of, but there doesn't seem to be many or enough. I want more and I want them to be as realistic and addictive as this book. Hopefully we'll see more gay females taking to the pages in the coming years!

The Gravity Between Us is an amazing NA book and one of the best I've read. It's not gratuitous in its portrayal of sex and, when it comes to content, doesn't really have much that would separate it from YA. The characters are older and maybe a little wiser, but what they go through is universal for any LGBT teenager, male or female. I'd love to know how this would sit with a YA audience, whether it'd be deemed too inappropriate or not. It's always an interesting point to raise.

For anyone who likes older YA or NA, this is a must-read. It's a hidden gem just waiting to be discovered by more readers, and I hope Kendall and Payton are introduced to more readers soon. Kristen Zimmer is now on my list of favourite NA authors thanks to The Gravity Between Us and I cannot wait for her next book, whatever it may be. She's an excellent writer and a storyteller who isn't afraid to show life as it is - messy, unfair and scary. But with the prejudice and the pain comes hope and survival, and I think that's what readers will take away from this book. It's well worth your hard earned £1.99!
on 16 October 2013
This is such an amazing novel that got me hooked from page one. A really fresh and edgy addition to the New Adult genre, I think it is a definite must-read!
It follows the friendship, and growing love, of Payton and Kendall, two young girls who move to the heart of the star-studded celeb-scene and have to face the battle between being who people want them both to be and who they really are.

It has all you could ever want in a book - love, friendship, conflict and a lot of glamour. It has light-hearted humour in all the right places and provides escapism into the Hollywood world of fame, friendship and love but I especially like how it does all of that and still touches on a very real subject. How it's easy for some but not for others, figuring out who you are and accepting that person and learning that other people's reactions should not define that. I think everyone has a little bit of that inside of them, whether it is to do with sexuality or other issues and it's this that makes it so relatable and allows you to really get sucked in deep with the characters and their story.
Does their love stand up to the increasing pressure of fame? I guarantee you won't be able to put it down until you know!
on 20 March 2014
I generally don't read romance novels as they're usually badly written. This is NOT the case with The Gravity Between Us.
Both the two lead characters Payton & Kendall are well written, and not stereotypical, yet have enough qualities for you to identify with, they will engage you with their feelings, sarcasm, and normalcy. You'll find yourself unable to pick a side when things get tough, and hope that everything will work out between them.

The book gives you what I feel, is a honest realisation of how Hollywood works, and the pressures that the people within the industry have deal with, from having to project a image of perfection, while still figuring out who you are, deciding to hide your true-self because it will suddenly make you less "bankable." It also contains some great one-liners, and "inner" character dialogues, which had me laughing out loud, and references to pop culture/fashion, that help bind the novel into the real world

The supporting cast is also well written, the intricacies between Kendall and Payton's relationships with their parents, to the new friendships made in Hollywood. It contains some real moments of guidance, which I wish I had when I was 19. If this ever gets made into a film, with the right cast it could be really something.

Looking forward to Kristen Zimmer's next novel.
I'm not a frequent reader of romance. And by 'not frequent' I mean 'virtually never'. However, I fancied a change from zombies and dark fantasy, so had a hunt on Goodreads for the best LGBT fiction, and came across this.

I liked the premise in the blurb, so gave it a shot. It's more of a coming-of-age story, for both of the main characters. I did find it hard to either engage or sympathise with the famous of the two - her behaviour was in parts diva-ish and spoilt brat, despite fact that she was fundamentally neither. I loved Payton's character, however, and could empathise with her on more than a couple of levels.

The writing style was fluid, and very easily readable; so much so, I did sink this book in one sitting. The end, whilst predictable to a large extent, was delayed enough with some interesting side stories. Whilst a couple of the supporting cast did seem very contrived, I didn't particularly mind; they suited the image that the author was building (for me) of an industry where image is everything, and people will be as false as they have to be, to maintain a certain type of image.

Overall, this was a satisfying read that I would heartily recommend, and it's made me want to seek out more of Zimmer's writing.