on 2 August 2014
In the previous book we met Mac 'Maverick' Maven and Deputy Sheriff Peggy McBride. They had already come to public blows when she objected to him re-opening The Grand Mountain Hotel as a poker and all star venue. Since their disagreement they have stayed clear of each other despite the undeniable chemistry when they are in the same room. Peggy doesn't see how they could ever work, "he was a poker player. She was a cop. Oil and water." Mac's family are now in town and incidents with a moose and with his nephew force them together. Peggy still doesn't approve of the hotel and keeps looking for a reason to close it but they start to see each other secretly. Peggy can't see past his occupation but after a fall out and then the wise Arthur Hale's advice, she finally comes around.

I really like this pair in the previous book. They seem so ill matched in every way. He's a poker player, sometimes viewed as a seedy occupation, whereas she's a cop; he's a smartly dressed together sort of guy whereas she's all shapeless clothes, messy hair, no make up and mostly in 'mom' mode. He is just delicious, a dreamy male lead and it's not often I find myself sympathising with the man but when Peggy put him in an awkward situation and blackmailed him, I really felt for him. The possible standoff and following declaration outside the hotel was fantastic.
As with all the books in this series, we meet other characters, get out appetites wetted before they have their own stories. We get introduced to Rhett and Abigail this time and I can't wait for their story.
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 18 November 2013
Peggy is a sheriff's deputy in a small town. She has opposed the building of a casino by Mac Maven (presumably in a previous book which I haven't read) and has used some rather nasty tricks to do so. The problem is that although Peggy doesn't trust Mac and Mac is wary of Peggy the two have a mutual attraction. In fact, they have a severe problem with the lust which brings them together whilst their various realities push them apart.

If you can believe that two characters who have the antipathy that Peggy and Mac show towards each other for most of this book can really come together because of their lust then the plot of this book mostly holds together. I had a real issue with this, however, and I couldn't get over the hurdle of what Peggy had done in the past and the appalling way she behaves on several occasions in this book. The author tries to excuse and explain Peggy by talking about her traumatised background and how she has never come to terms with it but I didn't think that it was enough (especially as Mac has also had a troubled past and behaves very well). I didn't see what Mac saw in her and I didn't really believe in her repentance.

I think that my problem might have been that Mac is civilised, professional and kind all the way through the story and that it is only Peggy that has to change. She has to become the person that Mac wants to be worthy of a future with him. She has to hush up a crime to win his approval and even shows his victory by dressing differently when she finally confronts him. I felt quite uncomfortable with this independent woman practically begging Mac for a future with him, and changing her dress and her views to win him.

I also had an issue with Mac's view that he owns the casino and has no responsibility for anyone's welfare who uses it. If they have a gambling problem that is their issue and not his - it was their private affair. It seemed very cold blooded and amoral for someone who was otherwise a sympathetic character.

I thought that this book had significant flaws in its characterisations and I, therefore, didn't really enjoy it. I normally love small town romances but this one wasn't for me. I received a free copy of this book via NetGalley.
on 18 August 2015
loved it, well worth the read, it belongs to a small series and all of them are good, i really get into the housework has to wait..
on 22 August 2015
Really enjoyed the series so far. Characters I cared about and engaging storylines. Confess to the odd tear and recommend tissues to hand.
on 16 July 2014
Peggy was a frustrating character to read about but just could not put this book down. Really loved Mac what a man. Overall good read.
on 4 October 2015
I thought the police lady was a little boring but all was well in the end. I enjoyed it I will definitely read more Ava Miles.
on 13 October 2015
Love the Dare stories bring on Abbie and Rhett .Thank you Ava Miles .I recommend you try this new author ,well New to me .
on 9 July 2015
Great series of books. Each one has its own story so you could read them independently. Really enjoyed hem.
on 5 August 2015
Thoroughly enjoyed reading this, what a good series.
on 20 June 2015
Average read but held intrest