on 21 February 2013
Weight Bench with 100Kg Vinyl Complete Weight Set

Product Review:

1. Delivery. Amazon sent me an email saying it would arrive on the Wednesday and it arrived 48 hours earlier. So the item arrived 4 days after ordering it (this included the weekend). So you can't ask for any more than that. 10/10

2. Weights. These really surprised me...in a good way. Long gone are the days of the bog-standard, chunky vinyl weights. When I opened the boxes, I actually thought the supplier had sent me cast iron weights instead because that's what they look like. As the photos of the item show, they are black and concrete filled. The set comprises of 14 weight plates: 2x15kg, 2x10kg, 2x5kg, 4x2.5kg and 4x1.25kg. Added up, that's a grand total of 75kg. Please bear in mind the other 25kg is made up of the weight of the bars: one for the bench, an EZ curl bar for biceps workouts and two dumbbell bars. I was also pleasantly surprised by the quality of the bars. Quite heavy duty, so no need to worry about buying more (expensive ones) when you progress to lifting heavier weights. Another added bonus is that the bars come with metal spinlocks when so many suppliers nowadays prefer to use hard plastic ones or those annoying "easy-to-use" clips. So for the weights and bars, 10/10.

3. The Weights Bench Assembly. This took me (on my own) just under an hour to construct. There's only something like 17 bolts to use, so it is pretty easy. A word to the wise: there are NO tools included (not that it's advertised that there are), but I used a socket set and a spanner. 10/10

4. The Weights Bench. From the photos, you'll notice it's pretty basic and I was a little disappointed. Even if I bought this item for the weights alone (I have another weights bench that I use), I'd say the bench that comes with this package is for beginners only. It's sturdy enough to hold my weight (210lbs), but I wouldn't class it as being a "heavy duty" bench....and not like the ones you see in a commercial gym. Not that it's a problem, but I found the bench to be pretty low to the floor (17 inches/43 centimetres at its highest point). In the 20-odd years I've been working out with weights, this is definitely the smallest bench (in height) that I've used. As the photo suggests, there are no butterfly attachments. But for me, that's a good thing as I find doing dumbbell workouts to replicate the butterfly movement is far better and gives better results. Also, there is no leg extension attachment to this bench. But that's definitely not a problem as free-standing leg squats are the only leg exercises you ever need to do....and you have enough weight in this set to build up your legs anyway. I called this a "beginners" bench also because of the quality of "cushion" on the bench itself. Even sitting on it feels "hard". It was bearable bench pressing up to 40kg. Any more than that, and it was a bit sore on the back. So it's a good bench to start off with as a beginner, but once you hit the "intermediate" category, you'll need a more robust bench. It's difficult to rate the weight bench as I bought this set for the weight ONLY. But if I was a beginner starting out for the first time, I'd rate it 8/10.

5. Overall. When other stockists are selling 100kg weight sets (without a bench) for anywhere up to £190 on Amazon, then this is a great deal. Another thing I was impressed with was the number of weights in the set. Too often, in the past, I ordered 100kg of weights and received far too many small ones that just clutter up the place and often never used. The 2x15kg plates were a much welcomed surprise. Plus the weights, when placed on the floor, interlock with one another preventing them falling on your foot (and it's happened to me before!). Like I said, I bought this item for the weights and bars alone, so I'm more than happy with the purchase. If I was a beginner starting out for the first time, this would be the ideal set.
on 9 June 2015
First off let's be clear: in terms of cost this is probably the best pricing around. That said there are a few things you need to consider before you purchase this weight set.

1. The weight mentioned (100Kg) includes the weights of all the bars too. So you cannot, for example, have 100Kg on the bar. You only get 75Kg of weight plates.
2. The bar is quite short at 150cm and the weights are fairly wide. This means you cannot load many weight plates onto the bar. I ended up buying a few more heavy plates to be able increase the weight on the bar without running out of space.
3. The weights are not evenly balanced. This is probably the biggest fault with the equipment. In particular the larger weights (5Kg, 10Kg, 15Kg) are significantly heavier on one side. This means they try to rotate if you lift the bar in a motion which doesn't keep it parallel to the ground (for example lifting from the ground up to a standing overhead press). The end result is one of two things: Either they rotate and loosen the locks which then need to be retightened after each set, or the bar puts a rotating pressure on your hands and arms as you're trying to lift. Not ideal either way, especially at higher weights.
4. Long lasting quality is questionable. I've had the set for a little under a year and in particular the 15Kg weights are leaking a sandy substance through the opening. There are also a few cracks appearing in the vinyl. I purchased some rubber mats to put on the ground to try and protect the weights when doing deadlifts and similar exercises that put the weights in contact with the floor.

So with all this in mind why 4 stars and not 2 or 3? Well, I still think this is a great starter set. If you're looking to start building strength without paying for a pricey gym membership, then this is a good place to begin. Even considering the very low price of my local gym this set has paid for itself in a few months of saved gym fees. The smaller length of the bar is also a good thing if you have limited space for your home gym. Once you're lifting heavier weights and are ready to progress then you can look at investing in higher quality equipment.
on 10 January 2016
Very pleased with this weight and bench package. I thought they forgot my order at first as i only received one package but the following day i got the rest. Comes in 4 boxes. well wrapped, bolts, spanners and instructions included. Had it together in no time at all. One of my spinlock star collars had no thread but you get 8 so no big deal. Had a session on it today and so far so good.
on 4 October 2014
Order arrived promptly... AND I COMPLAINED VERY SOON AFTER!

When opened some pieces were in wrapping, and some wasn't.

The fixture pack was ripped... and Nuts and Bolts were lose in the box.

Not one of the nuts screw to the limit of any bolts... leaving @ nearly an inch gap, and subsequently make this item unsecure, unstable; and dangerous when heavy weights will be added.

Secretary (Jordanna) is very helpful, but the manager (Mike) is very patronising (Took it upon himself to educate Me on how to tighten a screw), goes back what You've been told (Regarding collection and Refund), and stalls proceedings with emails in which He is very slow to reply!

I WILL NEVER ENTERATAIN GORILLA PRODUCTS AGAIN... THEIR BUSINESS PRACTICES ARE DISGRACEFUL!!!!
on 30 September 2015
A good, sturdy set. The weights are sand-filled, not metal or hard rubber. The bars are robust. Good customer service -- the bars didn't arrive at the same time, but after a call they arrived the next day.
on 31 December 2015
Overall, I'm very pleased with this set. Minor "complaints" are that the bench is rather narrow (I have a petite frame and I feel squeezed in), and the screw-on "clamps" come off entirely too easily. I've been putting it off, but I intend on purchasing the standard hand clamps to keep the weights on/in place because these are more of a hassle. not only does it take longer to switch out weights (having to unscrew, then screw on again), but as I said, they just don't stay in place after more than a few reps. Still, for the price the product has been good to me and I would definitely recommend it.
on 6 October 2013
Everything in this package was spot on. The weights are great sizes and the bars are outstanding quality. The bench is nice and firm and the whole set up is very sturdy. Perfect for beginners/intermediate lifters. Also very fast delivery!
on 3 October 2015
I bought this for my 14 year old son as an aid for his rugby training. The set arrived on time and my son had no trouble assembling it. He's been using the weights for a week now and he's extremely satisfied with it.
on 2 February 2016
I have recently had a kid and don't have the time to gym it at the moment so I bought this to enable me to still have a work out. As long as you ain't a power lifter this should meet your needs if you want to train at home. I was expecting this to be a little bit cheap like the old argos York stuff but it is much sturdier and I am very happy with it. You'll be surprised how much you can do with this. I am however going to buy 2 more 5kg and 2 x 10kg to balance the dumbells.
on 26 June 2014
Bought this to work out at home over summer and it is brilliant, amazing build quality and all the weights and bars are of very good quality. would definitely recommend to beginners and experienced lifters alike