A comprehensive guide to wood finishing – including modern and traditional methods and materials. Invaluable for the novice and experienced woodworker alike.
'COLLINS GOOD WOOD FINISHES' contains:
• over 300 full-colour photographs and step-by-step illustrations
• a guide to preparing wood surfaces prior to finishing, with tips and techniques for repairing and stripping damaged finishes
• methods for colouring wood, including staining, ebonizing and fuming
• comprehensive instructions for applying traditional French polish, wax polish and oil
• techniques for spraying modern varnishes, lacquers and paints
Applying a protective finish is invariably the final and arguably the most rewarding stage in any woodworking project. One can take pride in well-crafted joints, wafer-thin woodturning or intricate marquetry, but there are few delights to compare with the satisfaction of building a surface coat of polish or varnish which transforms an apparently mundane piece of wood into a uniquely beautiful object.
This handy book contains all the requisite skills, including the preparation of wood surface prior to the application of a finish, with a comprehensive guide to modern abrasives. You can choose from traditional methods for French polishing to up-to-date techniques for the application of the latest water-based varnishes, lacquers and paints. In addition, you will find easy-to-follow advice on gilding with creams, varnishes and metal leaf, wood graining with coloured glazes, and simple ways to create the illusion of antique finishes.
And you don't have to be skilled at woodworking to enjoy applying wood finishes. It is such a varied and absorbing activity that even in professional woodworking circles, finishing is quite often undertaken by a specialist. Similarly, a great many amateurs take up wood finishing in order to renovate inexpensive antiques for profit or merely to put new life back into much-loved heirlooms.
• Collins Complete Woodworker's Manual
• Collins Complete Diy Manual
• Collins Good Wood Handbook
• Collins Care And Repair Of Furniture
• Collins Complete Home Restoration Manual
Their many television appearances include two series of their own on furniture making and restoration. Simon Jennings, the book's designer, has worked as a graphic designer for international companies, and as a lecturer specializing in book design. With Jackson and Day, he is a partner in Inklink, a company unique in publishing, where highly visual and practical books are conceived, written, edited, illustrated and designed by the same small team.