Format: PaperbackChange

on 14 November 2005
I bought this for my mother for a laugh as I have given her, her first grandchild. However I had a quick flick through before I gave it to her and I ended up reading it from cover to cover! It was well written, funny, amusing with lots of practical advice with out being at all patronising! It also contained words to nursey rhymes and also suggestions for games for rainy days etc, which I thought was a nice touch. As my mum (granny!) keeps telling me that things have changed from her day, I think she often feels a little bewildered getting to grips with disposable nappies, car seats and fashionable all terrain buggies I'm sure this book has reassured her she is not alone!!! I would recomend this book to any granny or for expectant mothers to purchase for the grannies to be!!
11 comment210 of 212 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 September 2007
Having been a Gran for 18 years..to recieve this from Grandson 3 (now 2 weeks old )I was intrigued. Well, when first 2 grandchildren arrived was working hard had little money and one small child still at home.
I read it with interest and will endeavour to be an even greater long distance Gran to all 3.
It helped to focus my thoughts..provided ideas for keeping contact, it made me laugh.
on 2 September 2009
Excellent book to give to friends who have just become grandmothers, keep one copy for oneself of course! Lots of information - although we know most of it already, it's a useful reminder especially where it comes to how to keep the kids busy and I don't mean watching television!
on 25 October 2009
As it was a present for someone with a sence of humour, thay were delighted with it an couldnt put it down,best present ever
on 25 January 2008
I am not, nor am I ever likely to be, a Granny, good or otherwise. I bought this for my mum and started to flick through, and ended up reading the whole book. Lots of common sense and tips from someone who would appear to be an astoundingly good granny able to pass on woodland knowledge, gardening and cookery skills and with a love of literature. Obviously v posh too, which sometimes grated - there are references to school fees, country living and nannies which won't mean a lot to many people. She makes a wonderful granny though, and hopefully her excellent advice in this book will help others to be wonderful grannies too. Buy it for your mum or mum-in-law if you're expecting. Particularly your mum-in-law if your female. Should help smooth things considerably.
on 9 September 2010
Funny and enlightening. If you are worried that you will forget how to look after the little ones....be not concerned...like riding a bike and this book brings you up to date with all the little 'new bits'!
on 2 April 2010
I so love this book !....I am Granny to 2 and just love her ideas and suggestions ! I find it easy to read and think her Grandchildren are vrey lucky to have her ! Well done and glad I bought it
on 20 May 2006
This book is well written and humourouus , as stated elsewhere . Unfortunately , we decided not to give it to the grandmother in question as I felt the book could be taken the wrong way - ie ' What , you don't like the way I act at the moment , you need to give me a guide ? '

Therefore the book is recommended , but make sure it will be received in the right way .
0Comment24 of 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 March 2012
I bought this for my friend who will soon be a Granny for the first time. I have a copy myself, and have found it a very useful book, full of sensible advice aimed at grannies. I also loved the ideas on how to share time with grandchildren as well as how one can best help the parents without being interferring.
on 23 September 2013
This is a very practical and in places amusing guide to being a good granny with notes how others have approached their new role.
I found the words of caution as when to speak and when to stay quiet about how the parents were bringing up their child. I only hope I can follow the advice.