on 28 April 2002
This book is the best book i have ever read and it is designed for any golfer who wants to get better. It helps you devise a simple way of playing and tries to generate a feeling of trust in your own ability. It is written in easy to relate to stories of professional golfers and the problems they and golfers of all abilities face on and off the golf course. I believe that buying this book is money very well spent and it is almost certain to help you reduce your scores without even changing your clubs or your swing, only the way you think.
on 18 August 2002
This book is really great for two reasons. First it gives a lot of practical techniques that can be applied by any golfer regardless of the handicap. The techniques are well-described and supported by really convincing examples from the authors large experience. The rules and techniques taught pass my own "sanity check" and I think this would apply to all golfers. Second, the book is interesting to read since it has a lot of really amazing anecdotes concerning some of the very best golfers of all times. I really think this book is worthwile to read and I am looking forward to apply the teachings in the field.
on 23 March 2004
this book is the book to buy if you want to dramatically lower your scores. it might not improve your ball striking but it will let you think more effectively on the golf course and increase your enjoyment of the game. if you just buy one rotella book (although i recommend that you buy them all!!) you would probably be best with this one.
on 23 October 2001
If your swing fundamentals are reasonably sound this book will knock shots off your scores. I don't hit the ball any better since reading this book, but somehow I end up taking 2-3 fewer shots for any given round. Since I was playing off 4 when I read it (and 3 within 2 weeks), I see this book and the principles it outlines as my route to scratch. If you have a fair degree of control over where your golf ball is going, this book will transform your scoring.
on 19 December 1999
As Nick Price says on the cover, Bob Rotella takes what seem to be very complicated situations and turns them into screamingly obvious simple ideas and concepts. This book is a great read. Bob explains his ideas and backs them up with anecdotes taken from the games past. This is what seperates this book from others I have read on the mental game of golf. I'm sure that if anyone uses the philosophies and practices put forward in this book, they will certainly improve their handicap, whilst having fun doing it! Can't wait to get to the course (shame it's snowing!!)
on 18 November 2002
If you know you are a better golfer than your handicap suggests (and that's almost all golfers) then this is the book for you. If you want to have better focus and ensure that your scores are the best they can be (how many shots do you leave out on the course every round and replay later in your mind) then you will find this book most interesting.
I myself took a couple of weeks to focus properly, however, I have found I am now more regularly focusing only on the target and the shot I am about to hit, rather than six holes in the future, with much better results.
Also, at the driving range I've changed from hitting lots of drivers and long irons to picking out short targets and having a bit of fun with wedge shots etc. Bob recommends that the short game gets the most attention and that you really believe in your ability to get up and down from anywhere.
You will believe in your ability after reading this book.
on 5 October 2001
I have never listened to a self help tape before and when I saw this in the shop I just had to buy it to see if they really do work.
The first time you listen to it it is interesting to hear the stories Bob Rotella tells but also when he details some of the problems people experience when playing golf you really believe he is talking directly at you!
I have now listened to the tape at least ten times and have taken his suggestions to the driving range, and have to say the "look at the target, look at the ball and swing" really does work.
I am now ready to go out on the course and break 100 which is my target.
on 2 July 2011
Previously struggling to maintain a 7 handicap due to lack of time for practice, I now regularly (well, constantly actually) read this book, and have gone down to 5 (73 gross, +1 last weekend) thanks to the positive mental attitude generated within this book. I would thoroughly recommend this book to anyone and all who don't know why they can't concentrate for a full 18 holes - sound familiar?. Coincidence in now having the lowest handicap I've ever had in over 30 years of playing the game, I don't think so! 10/10 for me!
VINE VOICEon 19 August 2008
I don't play golf, I write speeches for golfers, so I thought I'd read a book to see if it gave me any ideas. Rotella uses golf as a metaphor for life, so I found the lessons that he had to offer could be applicable to writing and any other sport or discipline. There is nothing profound or original about this book, but it is well-structured and easy-to-read.

I got out of it, the importance of enjoying yourself when your playing, and not getting too hung-up about mistakes. Change your technique in your own time, just play on the course. Don't allow past disappointments to get you down. Do some 'creative visualisation'. Note that professionals just reduce the number of bad strokes they play to an absolute minimum, they aren't trying to play a winner every shot. (Tennis is a good example of that). Short game is what sorts out the sheep from the goats.

I found it a refreshing read, and I got an insight into a golfer's mind.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 11 August 2011
For golfers of mid-handicap to scratch and beyond, this is a perfect book.
It is not a swing mechanics improver but a book for one aspect of a golfer's equipment which is regularly ignored but often the reason for poor scores.
The mind.
It provides a different view of golf and one which, if adopted correctly and whole-heartedly, will improve any game, not to mention the heart-rate and language which often accompanies a bad swing followed by a stream of language expressing a passionate opinion, raising the heart-rate still higher ... and so on!
Read it if your game, like mine, is not perfect. Expecting it to be so is self-delusion. Knowing it will not be, living in the moment and learning how to "smell the flowers" - as Byron Nelson said - is more realistic. It may even bring the handicap down.