on 2 September 2008
Collectors of American 45 rpm records will find this catalogue invaluable. While it is a price guide to collectable USA 45's its great strength lies in the wealth of additional background and other detail enabling the collector to identify original issues, an extremely useful feature for those of us based on the European side of The Pond. (I extend this recommendation to its sister publication dealing with vinyl LP's too). Also very interesting are the overviews on the state of the US collectors' record market and clarity about the grading conventions defined by Goldmine (there are others, but Goldmine's are used very widely). Beware though if you're looking out for info on UK 45's. For this you need Record Collector's Rare Record Price Guide. The title of the Goldmine catalogue does not make it clear that it deals exclusively with USA records and I have read one or two past reviews expressing disappointment due to misconceptions about its purpose (not that RRPG's title makes it any clearer to the uninitiated that it deals exclusively with UK releases !). But, if you're a collector of US records this is one of the best general guides you can buy.
on 23 April 2011
Having been a deejay from the mid 1970s and most of the '80s onwards, I acquired a lot of hard to find 60s and 70s US soul and other genre vinyl, and I was very disappointed to see that so many of the records I know are quite valuable, were not even listed.

I searched in my collection for numerous titles, then referred to the book - only to draw a blank in many cases.

Also I do think that it is about time that updated editions of this book clearly state on the cover that the listing content is purely for US records.

I imagine that a lot of people have bought this publication previously, expecting UK vinyl values to be there & have potentially wasted their money.

I do also respectfully question some of the pricing in this book.

I have sold many records from my collection to date, and those that I was actually able to price in this book, were sold well in excess of the values stated.I felt that I could have lost out significantly, had I used the values in the book.

I therefore have to concur that for me personally, this is not a good sellers guide, but it may be ideal for the less experienced buyer/ seller.
on 22 December 2013
this book is okay.its well laid out and covesr a lot of 45 singles. but its more custom to the us artists. a lot of the 45s I have are not even mentioned in this book. I just think this book is moe suitable for selling in the u.s
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 December 2015
Absolutely stunning book. Condition amazing. An icon book that all record collectors should own.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse