on 3 March 2013
I enjoyed this short memoir. It charts pivotal moments in the author's life through a series of six chapters, each using a popular computer/video game that was around at the time. Admittedly, only three of them resonated with me - the others not having featured through my own journey - but that didn't detract from the reading. The writing is poignant, funny, and cathartic; I especially enjoyed the part about the role of video games in life, and the intimation of how they can be a double-edged sword of sorts. It took a couple of chapters to get used to the flow of the story; there are a few moments where we are taken out of a description of a game, catapulted into another moment, then back, hence I found the juggling of video game vs memoir not always balanced, which was a bit distracting, but on the whole sufferable.
It is original, comical in style, and kept me turning the pages right to the end (how else would one read a book if not by turning pages?) I thoroughly recommend it, particularly if you're looking for a step back in time to reminisce about your own journey through this madness we call life.
on 19 October 2014
If there was ever a book that told you what you cannot do for your children, this is it. It is by my first son , whose achievements dwarf mine and whose observations, his life being his material, are so exact and so different different from my own memories, that I recognise everything and weep for my lack of understanding.
on 25 February 2013
Very short, but eloquently told tale of adolescence and the way a boy sees the world. Games are the medium he uses to show how kids change, what's important to them, how they behave, learn and grow. Striking in its simplicity, piercing in its plain truthfulness. A joy, albeit a compact one.
on 9 January 2013
This book only takes an hour or so to read, but that's reflected in the price. I loved it - extremely well written and, given I'm a similar age to Sam, I could really relate to the stories he told. Can't recommend highly enough.
on 2 March 2013
the passages on Elite, the game I remember best, were a joy, full of forgotten details, and the World of Warcraft stuff was a great guide to the uninitiated. A very enjoyable and unexpectedly moving read.
on 5 February 2013
A very moving, original, funny and painfully honest memoir. Hope, heart-break and finally redememption, all told through the experience of an addiction to six video games.
on 27 December 2012
An interesting account of a man's life, framed with the experience and description of some of the videogames he has played.
on 18 July 2015
this is one of those books,I'm not sure what to make of it. I play videogames myself but not all the time. I guess it's only for hardcore gamers. Or it could be just the writing style.

I can't I didn't like it but can't say I did hmmmmm
on 15 October 2015
I am a 37 year old and can relate to this book. Games have played such a huge part of my life. Then the hardest game of all starts. Fatherhood. There is no cheat to this game,no walkthrough. It's a one chance game!
on 3 December 2013
A delightful series of 6 snapshots of life intersected with the guilty pleasure and escapism the glow of the screen invites.

It's you, it's you it's all for you - go play your video game