on 6 February 2014
OK as a work of fiction, but not very well written and excessive reference to branded products. Was the author sponsored by prepper product brands in the writing of this I wonder?

Also many feet of typeface devoted to description of meals consumed, and these descriptions made little contribution to the plot.

Too many untied ends at the finish of this book, very transparently driving sales of the following volume Surviving Home....

Having read all three volumes so far published, not one ends in a satisfactory way for me. After volume three I will not be wasting any more money or time in reading books from this author.
on 25 July 2013
An "event" leaves Morgan a keen survivalist stranded miles from home. The story describes the adventure, danger and the gear he uses during his journey home. I have rated the book with 3 stars normally it would be a 4 star book but the overuse of acronyms and branding has killed off that star. Morgan joins forces with some others also seeking to go home, building friendships and together confronting all the hurdles placed along their route. Very little background is given as to how the event happened and the causes, I suspect this maybe reserved for the second book "Surviving Home". Overall it is a good story however you are distracted by the specialist indulgence.
on 29 July 2013
I was very intrigued to read this book as I wondered how many different events could happen on the way home for Morgan - and there were many!
I was pleasantly surprised how fast this book read and how all the main characters were believable for me. I also liked the comedy element that some of the characters had.
I liked the way the book finished as it was not on a cliff hanger which can be frustrating, but it did make me want to read more.

Look forward to reading Surviving Home.
on 11 December 2015
This book is about a bloke who revels in his own preparedness and upon wishing for a SHTF event everyday finally gets one. He thens walks home and meets lots of sterotypes along the way. He also seems to describe everything he uses in terms of the Brand, which is odd. He has very detailed meals from MRES and goes into lots of detail about how they are cooked. Lastly the guy has zero tolerance. He shoots first and asks questions later.
on 5 December 2014
I was really impressed with this book! It's the best book I've read in the whole 'survival/end of the world' sub genre. I'll not go into recounting the content of the story as you can get that from the description, but I really cared about the main character and the sub characters. I found it really easy to read too with down to earth writing style that I could relate too.

One of the things I liked about this book was that the main character is supposed to be an average joe, not some Rambo veteran who we can't relate to. With this said, I do feel that the book tries to build him up to be far more of a silent hero than necessary, but that's just a niggle.

All in all, I found it really entertaining. Nothing ground breaking, but just a good solid survival novel about a guy on a long journey to get back to his family in a country without electricity where simple resources are fast becoming scarce and things are pretty lawless.
on 8 May 2013
Enjoyed the pace of this book & the story line it was easy to immerse yourself in to the situation the main character found himself in. Look forward to a sequel.
on 11 January 2015
Could not get into this book at all. So many references to branded products it was unbearable. At times it felt like reading a shopping receipt from a survival store. That said I did not give the book enough of a chance to give it a rating.
on 20 September 2015
Slightly formulaic but enjoyable. Lots of preppie detail with named brands that don't mean much in the Uk. I liked the three main protagonists and felt exhausted on their behalf! Interesting to see how they take on the DHS in future books.
on 27 June 2013
I don't read much and when I do the writer needs to hook me hard early.
This writer and book did exactly that, pulled me into a world so close to our own yet so on the edge I needed to turn page after page to conclude the story fast.
on 17 February 2014
I often am away for several days at a time and often wonder what if an EMP or CME hit whilst on the road. Well this book helps you farm your mind into what if..