Format: Paperback|Change

on 30 September 2005
Not only is the story of Brother Andrew impossible to put down and very well written, but it is a real inspiration and challenge to those seeking to live for God, or those who doubt the existence of God. Andrew grew up in Holland during world war 2 and afterward joined the army. This sparked a series of events which led him to question the value of life and become a committed Christian. Starting with small trips here and there Andrew ended up risking his life time and again to share the Gospel and take Bibles beyond the Iron Curtain, setting up an international organisation which at one point smuggled 1 million Bibles into China! Time and again God led Andrew and his colleagues through impossible situations, allowing forgotten Christians to feel the love of the body of Christ and to savour God's word.
on 27 May 2001
I had this book read to my class when I was young. It was facinating, thoroughly enjoyable and addictive to read. I am not a religious person but having just discovered it again I have to sing its praises so to speak.
At this price don't hesitate to buy it.
My daughter (who's 11) and I are thoroughly enjoying this book as our one-on-one bedtime reading. We are so inspired by the story of Brother Andrew's early life, how he came to love and trust Christ, and how he moved amongst all the persecuted believers behind the Iron Curtain in the 50s.

We've had follow-up discussions about Communism, about evangelism, about refugees and hardships and propaganda, and all kinds of spin-off topics. But above all, we have seen through Brother Andrew that God is good, is reliable, is a provider, and speaks to people in the modern era in all kinds of different ways.

Trusting Him not only works for Brother Andrew, but worked for hundreds of thousands who were touched by his ministry.

(I understand the subsequent books of Brother Andrew's are more graphic and perhaps a bit too hard-bitten for reading with children; I have no reservations of reading this one to my children)
on 12 June 2000
This is a very easy book to read and will keep you coming back to it at every opportunity.
As a Christian it has made me feel very humble and challenged.
Brother Andrew and Brother David (Gods Smuggler to China) both heard Gods call on their lives and simply obeyed.
Try it
on 5 February 2007
God's Smuggler is the story of Brother Andrew, founder of Open Doors. In it, he tells us of his experiences in life, with the main focus on him, along with a few dedicated God-fearing, Christian friends, risking imprisonment and perhaps even their lives, smuggling Bibles beyond the Iron Curtain, so as to support his persecuted brothers and sisters who couldn't publicly worship their Lord and Saviour, and to reach out to the non-Christians in those countries. His experiences really show that there is no limit to what God can do, and no task is too small for Him. The book is easy to understand and easy-read, and it should force us all to look at our lives, and ask ourselves just what we are doing for Him.
on 16 February 2006
a great read for young or old. wonderful true story with adventure, excitement and even humour with the greatest of messages, that he brings forth.
I put off reading this book for a long time because I thought it would be labourious but not a bit of it and have read it a couple of times and my sons, used to ask me to read it again to them because of the things he got up to as a youngster! ita a pity that the cover on the book, doesn't convey how good it is.
on 28 February 2015
Amazing story of a real life adventure and how God not only transformed brother Andrew but gave him a purpose. One of the main themes throughout the book is Andrews faith that God would provide a way, usually where it seemed impossible. There are lots of humbling stories of a man living by faith through trusting in a God who loves and provides for him as he spreads the good news if Jesus to many unreached places. One of my favourite quotes is a friends advice to him;
"Time and place are our own limitations, Andy; we mustn’t impose them upon God."
on 14 August 2015
Brilliant. If like me you had some weird miracle suddenly transform you from a lifelong atheist/agnostic to a knowledge of the existence of God, then this book gives some very practical examples of how to learn how to use faith and understand God's power in your everyday life in a way that produces tangible results.
on 16 February 2015
This book has been around for a long time, but some stories never lose their appeal or their challenge. Like all good stories, it is about redemption, and so much more! Brother Andrew is changed from a drunken soldier in a losing war to a true warrior for truth as he smuggles Bibles through the iron curtain to Christians who are desperate for the word that changes lives. Astonishing testimony to the God of the unexpected and the extraordinary, and there is a bitter-sweet romance as a bonus!
on 28 December 2010
This is a story I read many years ago which has not lost its appeal down the years. A true story about how God can guide every one of us even in impossible situations if we are quiet enough to hear Him. Delighted to regain a copy which actually turns out to be a signed one.