on 29 January 2002
And read it, more importantly. I love David Wilkerson because no matter what you do to him, he just keeps preaching! He's like those wobbly dolls, nothing ever seems to phase him.
Not even the end of the world.
David never actually made a big thing of that particular thing, YES, I know he wrote "The Vision" and "Set the Trumpet to thy mouth", but if you listened to his ministry tapes he was never really telling Star Wars stories in the way that Bro' Hal was. And its just as well. We live in a complex world, I'm an engineer, he's a preacher, we're both busy. David is very concerned with telling you almost NONE of the things that the Christian pundits were raving on about, i.e. the bottom IS going to drop outa the market, NASDAQ is going to the bathroom and never coming back, etc, etc. There's been loads of web sites saying just those things since 1998. And quite rightly so, they were all right.
So David writes a book almost while this is upon us, and says what... The Goodness of God. The Provision of God. The Mercy of God. The fathfulness of God. Yes!! I'm getting goosepimples even as I write that! Why - because this is the whole show folks. Not some Stooopid state of the union adress, the light is eventually fall from that stage, and onto the real thing, which is eternity. And the book is saying this - our God is MIGHTY, and a little old depression is not going to change him.
If you are in the boat with the Lord, you will be OK because ipso facto you are with him. Davids' thesis is that. It doesn't matter too much, you keep looking to the rock of your salvation, and he will take care of you. Forget your bond holdings, look to your treasure in heaven.
Interesting thing is, if we all did this in our church, oddly enough, by sheer coincidence, we would be doing exactly those things which would mutually preserve each one of us, because that is exactly what's commanded. There are some bits of advice, about the real and immediate, and they are good - and you should follow them. But all these could be seen as acts of altruism in some sense for the community of the saints. This is quite sensible.
I think that as time goes on this book will be very well read. Keep you bank balance in heaven good. Its real. More than what I can say for a heap of other things.