on 22 January 2000
- A must read, turns the orthodox ideas of ancient history completely on their head (and inside out as well) - This book takes a completely fresh look at religious history and mythology. Discarding all dogma, previous assumptions and interpretations. It also looks at the evidence that doesn't fit the orthodox picture. The evidence most historians try to brush under the carpet. But which IS there. The truth of our ancient history just might be too fantastic to imagine. It is impossible to read this book and not look at the world around us in the same way again. Brilliant!
on 9 October 1999
I happenned to chance upon this book while flying out of Heathrow. Didnt know what was in store for me till I started reading it. It has changed the way I look at world religion, for me the explanation given in this book definitely makes more sense then all I have ever heard through what religion has to offer. A must read for anyone with an open mind. It will thrill you scare you and maybe even change the way you look at life.
on 19 November 2015
This book is fascinating. It answered a lot of questions for me in a clear and logical way. Unless you are committed to a religious viewpoint, it will make a lot of sense. I found it hard to put down. People who have strong religious faith though probably wont find it very rewarding to read as it puts forward the theory that we have been visited in the past by inhabitants of another planet and explains away the question of the "Missing Link". Brilliant read and I got a copy for my brother too.
on 22 June 2016
This is an interesting and fun book to read, who takes Sitchin literally and the Sumerian tables as the pure truth. Based on this the author describes a conflict between a group connected to Enlil and other connected to Enki, the author establishes that Enki's group was connected to the snake and the Enlil's group to the big cats. The author go in details in genetic studies, trying to explain that part of our genetic make up was altered by the so called aliens who we met in this ancient past.
on 27 March 2000
On the whole, I preferred "Lord Of The Rings" for bedtime reading, though - in places - this was almost as difficult to put down. In my opinion, the author got a little too bogged down in attempting to interpret ancient Sumerian texts (we always used to know them as "legends"). Fascinating ideas, though, but until "Planet X" does return and either prove or disprove, they will have to remain as someone's ideas. Good for stretching an open mind, though.
on 4 July 2005
This is the first book Alan Alford published and even though his later theories escape the original hypothesis of this book, it is still a good read. Much of the material is based on the works of Zecharia Sitchin.
on 17 August 2009
Alan Alford introduces mind boggling ideas and intriguing questions that makes any reader put down the book and just sit there and think. His ideas ranges from curious, to challenging to down right absurd. And where his theories are beyond the realms of plausibility, to which he himself has now rebuked, the ideas, questions and anomalies that the book raises will not only entertain but have you thinking for weeks if not months after you put the book down. Highly recommended as long as you don't want to read something that gives you the absolute truth.
on 8 December 2003
I generally enjoy the alternative "Indiana Jones" approach to archaeology, even though I don't accept most of it. However, whilst someone like Graham Hancock is more speculative, Alford dives right in and shows that ancient Sumerian and Biblical stories "prove" ancient man had spacecraft and atom-bombs.
I am sure there is far more to ancient societies than meets the eye, but Alford's cut & dried approach is too extreme. although I think traditional archaeology is often too conservative, Alford is throwing out the baby with the bathwater.
It is quite entertaining on a science-fiction level, although his style is quite dry and clumsy.
on 19 December 1998
I truly believe this book has changed my life. It gives a detailed history of man kind and abled me to realise who I am And what is my perpose in life. I think every body should read it. one day it might chaged the way society pertraiyes religion.
on 30 July 2013
Well worth reading this book if you enjoy alternative historys or ancient alien theories. Interesting ideas and concepts to ponder on.