Shop now Shop Now Shop now Shop Cyber Monday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Amazon Fire TV Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Paperwhite Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

Format: DVDChange

on 25 August 2005
I have only recently seen this film, yet it has quickly become one of my favourites. The fact that it features a real-life Bushman is one of the reasons why the film effortlessly weaves comedy into the documentry style in which it is presented. Although in many places you will find yourself on the floor with laughter, the film is far from lacking in eye-opening scenes which really do provoke deep thoughts about the way we live our lives in the industrial world. Using the documentry style, which acts as a window into the mind of the Bushman, the audience is taken into a new world and a new way of thinking, which comically questions how advanced our civilisation actually is. A masterpiece.
on 21 December 2006
Oh my Gods.....What can I say about The Gods Must Be Crazy? It is an hilarious film that starts off with an excellent documentary style opening which I think works really well and adds a degree of cheesy humour. The first half of the film is brilliant with many humourous moments that have you reaching for the rewind button to see them again.

The second half loses its way a little but still contains some classic moments.

This movie is worth seeing just for the Landrover scenes...pure genius. I forget how many times I have rewatched these scenes but when i am feeling low I reach for the remote and laugh myself into a dribbling mess. I really really want an old tempremental Landrover for me to kick and shout at.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 March 2006
I used to rent this as a video on a regular basis years ago - and will now buy it on DVD so that my son can enjoy it too.
Sorry to say that the heartfelt cry of "Long Live N!xau!" is both ironic and tragic, since he died in 2003. (by the way ! is pronounced with a click of the tongue. He was also known as Gcao)
This low budget film made in Botswana makes a sudden switch of style partway through, which is off putting on the first viewing (I always wanted the original style to return as I watched). It also splits into two stories at about this point.
As well as N!xau, look out for the other star of the film, the Landrover or was it a Jeep?
I too cannot recommend it enough, if only for the simple joy of laughter.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 August 2006
I just love this film, and the highest praise I can give it is that I cry laughing whenever I watch it. If you want guaranteed laughs, it comes highly recommended.

I'm also very impressed by some of the points made by the bushmen about how we Westeners refuse to adapt to our environment, but instead adapt it to suit us. Great stories, funny actors, complely harmless and compelling fun.
on 21 June 2006
The Gods Must Be Crazy is a great film. Although on the surface it might appear crude in style and technically flawed, none of this matters since the superb humour hides the technicalities of the film, and you cannot help laughing. The introduction is a masterpiece. The comparison between the bushmen and life in a South African city is startling, and very funny. One of my favourite lines is the woman in the lunchroom asking, 'Does the noise in my head bother you?'

The plot is quite amusing as well. The bushman are amazed when a very useful tool fell from the sky. In fact, it was a coke bottle dropped from an aeroplane. They find the bottle very useful, but it causes trouble as well. They have always had enough of everything in nature to go around, but here is a thing which there is only one of. It causes fights etc. and the bushman try to give it back to the Gods. They send Xi to the edge of the world to throw the 'evil thing' off the earth. Along his way Xi comes across a bumbling ecologist, a pretty school teacher, and a bunch of terrorists. The second half of the film is less focused than the first half, but it is just as funny. The scenes with the Land Rover are very good indeed.

'The Gods Must be Crazy 2' is slightly less inspired than the original but is very funny as well. This time Xi's children are lost when they get taken away on the truck of an elephant poacher. Xi goes to find them, and once again comes across terrorists, and also elephant poachers, a Lawyer and another ecologist who are lost in the Kalahari when their microlight aircraft is lost in a storm. The characters are not quite as good as their counterparts from the first film, but film is techinically a bit better. More great comedy, and also funny to see in Pierre van Pletzen (aka Oubaas van Zyl from the South African soapie 7de Laan) as poacher, George.

If you're looking for a laugh, look no further than this double feature set. For the price, it is a great buy and will have you in fits of laughter, whether you're african or not.
on 6 June 2005
I first saw this film many years ago and had wanted to see it again and watch it with my children.
This is a good old fashioned family film where the baddies are made to look ridiculous and we get to have a look at our hectic lifestyle and laugh at ourselves.
The documentary style is off putting for the first 3 minutes and then the characters in the film have you hooked.
Each time we see it we find something new and amusing.
VINE VOICEon 13 February 2006
“The Gods Must Be Crazy” must be bought on DVD. The two Disc set. Not so much for the feature itself, but for the documentary that follows. It is a look at the life of the Bushman/Actor called N!xau after the International success of the movie.
This is a fabulous documentary which gives us a look at success that is completely alien, yet haunting and fascinating compared with any Hollywood fair. When N!xau explains the film to children at a local school, the results are heart warming.
The lack of English subtitles (All other languages are covered) did not hinder as Spanish was available.
I cannot recommend it enough. Long Live N!xau!
on 15 April 2007
This film reminds me of my childhood. We used to watch this back in the late 80s early 90s with my dad who has just recently passed away.

The way the tribe men react to that bottle is one of the funniest things i've ever seen and the seriesof two films only gets funnier as it goes along.
on 11 October 2009
I have just watched this film for the first time. It has an unusual style. It is tempting to say: Think Benny Hill meets Crocodile Dundee. But, despite the antics, the film is also poking fun at the mad way we live in the modern world. It looks very dated and there has been some unfortunate dubbing on the version I saw - presumably to make the south African accents more accessible to a wider audience. But, it's an entertaining story and well worth watching. Don't think I'd buy it, but worth renting. Hope this helps.
on 18 February 2009
I am an ex-South African and I remember watching this movie when it came out onto the big screen . It was 'lekker' watching it again . The family got together and we all had a good laugh . Watching how those Bushmen live such a simple life and seeing them so content with their lifestyle , did however , make me just realise how messed up we have become by modernising everything . Sometimes I feel that if life was just as basic as these guys live it , there would be a lot less stress and problems in this world . Enough of the serious stuff though . The movie is a lot of fun and for any ex-South African out there who enjoys a good laugh , SA style , this is the movie to watch .

Good family viewing . Unique in that it is comedy but it is clean and wholesome .Proves that you don't have to swear to be funny . (I hope our so-called stand up comedians take note !!! )