on 17 March 2004
I bought this as I thought it would be a fun way to exercise, and I was right - it IS fun. Dolphina is beautiful, and the different surroundings that she shows the exercises in are gorgeous.
About my fitness/dance level: I'm about 25 kilos overweight, but dance (line-dance and square-dance) regularly (4 times a week), so I'm in fairly good shape.
The first time I did this DVD, I thought it was a rather light workout, with some rather difficult movements. Now, when I've done it 4 times, and learnt the movements a bit better, the workout is also harder, because I can put more energy into it. Especially the shimmy is hard work, but when Dolphina does it, it looks so easy and effortless. It makes me hope that I can do it as well once I've done this workout for a year or two...
I've also found this workout (especially the warm-up) to be great for relieving shoulder and neck pain, from many long hours in front of the computer. I think it is very gentle on the knees, but puts quite a bit of strain on the hips, so be careful if you have problems with your hips.
All in all, I really enjoy this DVD, and it really gives me inspiration to do it again.
on 27 June 2006
The instruction in this DVD was excellent. However, the camera angles were awful. When Dophina was demonstrating foot movements, for example, the camera was on the top half of her body. This made the sequences hard to follow. Shame really - otherwise this would have been an excellent introduction to belly dancing.
on 2 February 2004
Brilliant! At last after searching Dolphina has answered my prayers. A fantastic belly dancing instructional video that's easy to follow and FUN. From the beginning warm-up exercises Dolphina explains about the flow of energy (chakras) and tells the viewer a little history of the dance (just enough to make you want to learn more). With brilliant sequences and best of all, a little routinue to learn at the end - this is what a belly dance video should be all about. I'd recommend this to anyone of any age and tell them to buy it and get shimmying. More videos like this, please, Dolphina.
on 21 May 2015
Dolphina is a beautiful dancer, and this DVD is moderately suitable for beginners although I'd recommend combining it with another one for an alternative workout because many of the moves aren't explained in all that much detail. It loses the two stars for the terrible camera direction, though. Frequently the cameraperson is more interested in a close-up of Dolphina's beautiful face than in what she is doing with her body - and I'm not talking about from time to time, but almost *all* the time. During the hips section, there are huge chunks where you can only see her from her bust upwards. Not much use for beginners! And then she demonstrates travelling with a movement, but you can't see her legs or feet! Pity, because with better angles this DVD would have been much much better.
on 14 March 2007
Its such a shame that this DVD was so bad because her advanced level DVD is really good. In this one the camera is constantly on her face, very rarely do you see what she is actually doing with her body (the most important part of it!) When you do get to see her legs/hips, she has finished, moving on to something else. If you already know the basic moves, you are better off with the other DVDs, if you are a complete beginner, this will confuse the life out of you!
on 2 August 2006
I've only had this DVD for 2 days and i've tried it 4 times already! its very addictive, I loved it from the word go. its a good light workout, great for people new to exercise and its really fun! Dolphina's costumes are stunning and she is a very good instructor. After I've mastered the tecniques on this one I'll be buying the worrior goddess workout which I have had a peek at on her website, Its FAB!!!
on 18 February 2015
Not a work out, just a couple of moves. Lots of unnecessary yapping about belly dancing.
on 2 February 2004
I really liked this DVD, and have alredy been practising with it several times! The Goddess workout gives a big introduction to almost everythin thats needed.
on 9 September 2014