on 15 October 2009
with the usual twist at the end!

Simply illustrated paperback covers open to 30 high quality shiny pages, in the popular 2-page spread format.
With detailed illustrations throughout, this book is further enhanced by meaningful facial expressions and the repeat element.
Clearly laid out text....far more than the other titles in the series......representing a true challenge!

Example of text:-

'Hey, today it is my birthday!
thought the elephant one morning.
I'll go tell it to the toucan,
so then he'll tell everybody
all about my birthday party,
and we'll have a jamboree!

So Old Jumbo looked around him
but he couldn't find the toucan,
so instead he told the tiger:
"Hey, today it is my birthday!
Please go tell it to the toucan,
so then he'll tell everybody
all about my birthday party,
and we'll have a jamboree!....'

....and as the tiger also struggles to find the toucan, he passes the message on and.....
......as that toucan remains elusive, more and more creatures, including:-

the rhino
the zebra
the ostrich
the lizard
the leopard
the cricket.............

join the growing list!

Until, eventually........success, at last........
....or is it?

In my experience, this book has proved the most challenging of the titles, especially on the narrating front with the task to get to the end of the list of 2-syllable animals...
...... all seeking the toucan
.......... to pass on the message
...... before running out of breath, which generally proves amusing to older listeners.
In the older age group, useful extension work is provided by a test-the-memory game, asking the more attentive what animal comes next - also giving an excuse to pause for that aforementioned gasp for breath!
The younger age group are generally less receptive because some of the animals are new to them and their attention does tend to wander!

However, one of the other titles in the series is a great starting point to progress from:-

"Pardon?" said the Giraffe
"Not me," said the Monkey
"Have You Seen the Crocodile?"
"Hello Great Big Bullfrog!"
on 12 June 2007
a great story of all the animals in the jungle trying to get a message to the toucan to tell everyone about Jumbo's Jamboree!! Great illustrations and a fabulous tongue twisting tale. Recommended!
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 11 September 2015
My son has loved every one of the Colin West books we've discovered recently. This was no exception - the wonderful cartoon drawings really add a sense of mischief to the cheeky goings on in West's jungle.

This for me though isn't as strong a read (for bedtime stories) as the others, but is still very good.

Elephant wants to tell everybody about his birthday jamboree that afternoon, so he wants to tell Toucan, who will let everyone else know. But he can't find the toucan, only a tiger... who can only find the warthog... who can only find a hippo... You can see where this is going. Each animal looks for the toucan to tell everyone else.

By the time the toucan is found, nobody is around anywhere... wherever CAN they be?! My son's look of comprehension was priceless as he realised where everybody had got to, he found it very funny as I explained why the toucan didn't need to tell everyone about the party.

I really like the repetition, it encourages participation and concentration. Lots of animal names to call out to, though it is hard work reading the final page of animal names (big breath required!).

This is told in rhyme, making it a good rhythmic quick read and enjoyable as reader.

Our favourite is still '"Not Me" said the Monkey' but Colin West's whole series is a delight.

Children of 2 or 3 and older will love these short jungle tales.
on 2 June 2011
I bought this book as a present for my three year old son after rediscovering Colin West from my own childhood. He loves this story, and the repetition. It's bit like a song, with different "verses" and then a repeated "chorus" which my son knows word for word!! It's a definate favourite!
on 11 September 2011
I am very pleased with this product, item in very good condition as described. A very smooth transaction. Will use this sellar again. Thank you!
on 29 December 2010
What a great colourful book for my great nephew, at 21 months old, he is into bedtime stories, the more the merrier as far as he is concerned.
on 4 April 2014
I have been reading this book to my kids since my son was little (he is now 10) and it is one of those stand out books from our vast collection that never gets old. Today I read it to my daughter's P1 class and they all loved it. It's a great fun book for introducing kids to different animals and there is one particular page my kids have always asked me to read over and over, faster and faster. Many more years of reading it to come.
on 8 June 2014
My son absolutely loves this book! The repetition please his autism, whilst he is also learning about different animals. A cracking read!
on 25 November 2012
I read this story to my daughter when she was an infant. She adored it. I have just recommended it to my partner, to buy for the primary school class she teaches. I recommended it, since she had just shown me a book from her childhood; "Fortunately" and I thought this was very similar to "Go tell it to the Toucan" in many ways. Except, "Fortunately" was indeed fortunately, 3 shillings and sixpence to buy at the time! Shows the age of the current reader . . .

I recommend "Go tell it to the Toucan" and remember it very clearly some 18 years since reading it last!

M.