Format: Paperback|Change

on 16 November 2012
I, and several of my friends, have found this book utterly inspiring. What a fabulous resource! Until the birth of my daughter (and my friends' babies) not one of us had ever been particularly vigilant about eating a gluten free or vegan diet, though we were familiar with the health benefits to planet and self that following such diets can create. However, once our babies arrived and seemed to be struggling with digestion (all of us breast feed our babies), we were each of us instructed to eliminate gluten, dairy, and refined sugar from our diets, which we did with obvious positive results for our babies. Not used to cooking for an exclusively vegan and gluten free diet, this book has been such a godsend at this time: delicious bread recipes for our whole family to enjoy! My daughter, now 16 months, loves to eat the breads we bake from this book, and it is fun to have her help with the baking, especially as there is no raw egg involved.

Now, please do not let this prejudice you against me, but I love a slice of fresh glutinous bread, ideally of organic and locally grown wheat, the brown bits removed, and lathered with some organic salty butter! So I felt a bit dubious about embarking on this book, but then the author's introduction on the science and art of baking with gluten free grains gripped me like a juicy novel. Her sharing of her understanding of how to successfully bake with gluten free flours seems downright generous given that her work in this field is pioneering, and the section exploring the trace minerals found in all of the grains included in the recipes made me feel so excited to begin. Some of the ingredients have been challenging to track down, but between my two local 'health food' stores, I' ve found they either stock them or have been happy to order them in especially, so it is worth asking if you struggle to find any of the ingredients. Also, I seem incapable of following any recipe in any book letter for letter, preferring to use them as a springboard, and the spirit of this book seems to embrace that, with enough background technique explained so that you cannot go too far astray. Perhaps most importantly, my family and I have found the recipes we have made from this book delicious, and we feel good when we eat them! Our sincere gratitude to the author.
on 8 June 2014
I got this book at tried many of the recipes using the suggested methods in the book. Sadly all I managed were inedable solid blocks. I checked the oven and followed every detail listed in the book but no joy. Then I discovered that there was an errata notice. This didn't help. My loaves were still terrible.
I have other books on making gluten free breads, so using Jennifers recipes, I experimented using a combination of the other authors cooking methods. I have managed to get some very good results - very tasty loaves. I did have to adjust cooking times and also reduce the amount of water.
I have only made the teff sandwich loaf, the quinoa loaf, and the soft millet sandwich bread but I am happy with the combination of flours and flavours.
I was put off using this book for a long time, after the initial failures, and would still have reservations about other recipes in this book. That said, I do have three very successful loaf recipes that I use regularly.
on 5 December 2013
A lot of ingredients heavily reliant on seeds so not great if you can't tolerate seeds as well as a lot of chickpea and almond flours so may not be great for people with those allergies like myself but hopefully can work around those recipes
on 10 May 2015
The breads in this book look fabulous but the recipes contain errors, mainly in cooking times and temperatures. Jennifer has acknowleged this herself, and there is a list of errata on this website: jenniferkatzinger.wordpress.com.
on 13 November 2014
really interested in the wild starter but cannot find a gallon jar which I feel is far too big for one person! Found the batter breads with molasses in went hard quickly, even when frozen and then thawed, I probably don't like molasses as it is not something I usually keep in the store cupboard, so that could be the problem. Would have liked more savory batter bread recipes but I intend working on one of the recipes to make something more acceptable to me.

Liked the book overall but would have preferred more wild bread recipes as I am trying to avoid commercial yeast.
on 26 November 2013
Have had a mix of success and failure. Lots of errors in recipes- corrections can be found on internet and marked in but that spoils the look of the book for me. GF flour is expensive to waste on a badly edited book
on 7 January 2015
Not yet managed to make a bread from this book that's edible. None have turned or properly even though I've carefully followed the instructions. Very expensive ingredients and half of them are almost impossible to obtain in three uk. Including alternatives to different flours in the book would have been more helpful.
on 17 January 2016
not tried any recipes yet
on 8 February 2013
Yes looks like a good book haven't tried any recipes yet so can't give a true rating on how it is
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse