VINE VOICEon 15 January 2009
I found this book more useful than the other reviewer, trying to handle both erratic blood sugar levels and the negative effects of gluten on my health has been difficult in the extreme. I do have cookbooks but this book really helped me make sense of all the different bits of information I needed to take control of my own nutrition.
on 22 February 2010
An excellent book for coeliacs who don't get enough fibre in their diet. Great recipes & healthy food!You will need to shop for the ingredients, but it is worth the change. The muesli is eaten by myself and my partner who is not a coeliac and he loves it. Great tasty food, common sense reading and excellent information.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 May 2009
I've been gluten-free for six years, but only just realised that gluten-free can also mean high GI. So, as I stood in the health food shop looking at packets of millet flakes, quinoa, and all sorts of different non-wheat grains prepared in different ways, I wanted to know their GI values - so I bought this book expecting it to have a really comprehensive section on the GI values of gluten-free grains. Instead, there's hardly anything about it!
There are tables of GI values, but pages and pages of products that don't have any GI value, what a waste of space - they could have just said vegetables and meats (except x and x for eg.) have no GI.
A lot of the recipes and GI values also conflict with other low-GI books I've got, and there's even a recipe for sushi - where on earth can you find low Gi sushi rice? Surely all rice you can use for sushi is high GI?
It's full of unhelpful,conflicting ideas like that.
on 13 January 2009
If you need to follow a gluten-free diet you will know what's gluten-free. If you wish to know about GI/GL there are better books available. The new knowledge gleaned from this book could be summarised in one sentence: products such as gluten-free pasta and bread are made from refined flours and are not low GI/GL!!! Despite this not too surprising news the meal suggestions then include such products. If I could get my money back I would...
on 10 January 2014
Nice to find a helpful book for us glucose intolerant people, who also need to eat healthily. A very good section explaining what Low GI is.